Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > DIANA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of DIANA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of DIANA
    Posted: October 28 2013 at 8:05am

DIANA TECHNICALLY DOES QUALIFY for RAZZIE®  CONSIDERATION, BUT (UNLESS IT GOES QUICKLY to PAY-PER-VIEW/ON-DEMAND --WHICH IT BERRY WELL MAY) IT IS UNLIKELY to BE AVAILABLE for OUR VOTING MEMBERS OUTSIDE of L.A. and NYC to SEE in TIME for NOMINATIONS VOTING.

WHICH WOULD BE a SHAME, SINCE ITS CURRENT LOW/ROTTEN RATING at R.T.  --and the FACT THAT ITS RAZZ-ABILITY WAS MENTIONED PROMINENTLY in U.K. REVIEWS --BOTH PROMPTED US to POST THIS.  

LET US KNOW YER THOUGHTS, and (BASED on THOSE COMMENTS) WE'LL EITHER INCLUDE (OR EXCLUDE) NAOMI WATTS' PERFORMANCE from OUR NOMINATING BALLOTS COME YEAR's END...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 4:19am
This pile of trash deserves to get nominations. From the start this movie goes downhill. This plays like those corny, daytime soap operas that former soap opera actors are too willing to distance themselves from. This movie contains nearly all of the corny stuff you hear about daytime soap operas. The only soap opera parts missing are the elements of fantasy or science fiction some soap operas have included. 

At the time this was written Diana scored a 9% rating on Rotten Tomatoes! With such a dismal rating it should not be ignored when nominating candidates for next year's Razzies. 

Feel free to give this lame excuse of a movie some Raspberries!

Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes a movie guaranteed to win Razzies.
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 4:50am
Here is my suggestions for nominations: 

Worst Picture: 
This is such are horrible mess. There are quite a few culprits to be discussed in the other categories. 

Worst Actor: Naveen Andrews
Sometimes he has displayed acting that borders on emotionless. It is not just the scenes where he is supposed to be "head over heels in love". Even when he is supposed to be angry he still has a displays a near-emotionless face. 

Worst Actress: Naomi Watts
This is one of Naomi Watts's low points. Her acting is what you expect from a daily, soap opera. She is melodramatic to the point of annoyance. This goes on from the start to the end. 

Worst Supporting Actor: Cas Anvar
His portrayal of Dodi Fayed is unconvincing. No effort is made to be convincing. He just appears on front of the camera and says his lines. It is obvious that he was just involved in the movie for the pay check. 

Worst Director: Oliver Hirschbiegel
His clumsy direction has contributed greatly to the movie's Razzie-worthiness. As he put the scenes together he glossed over them to the extreme. The glossiness just makes it painful to watch. As if that was not bad enough as director he most likely convinced Naomi Watts to act like a daytime, soap opera character. 

Worst Screenplay: Stephen Jeffreys
His contribution is writing the soap opera dialogue. Just hearing the dialogue between the characters is torture to hear. 

Worst Screen Couple: Naomi Watts & Naveen Andrews
The chemistry that is supposed to be between them is not there. The lack of chemistry comes from Naomi Watts's soap opera performance and Naveen Andrews's almost emotionless acting. 

Worst Screen Ensemble: 
Naomi Watts and Naveen Andrews not only lack chemistry between each other. They also lack chemistry with the other cast. 

Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes a movie guaranteed to win Razzies.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 5:33am
Dun-Ida: Headrazz was going to start a forum later. You could not wait, could you?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 7:41am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: No worries -- This was a bizzy week for me, and I didn't have the time to set up this "Official" Forum before Dun-Ida started it for me. 

BTW: Here's a Rotten Tomatoes LINK to check out their numbers on this one, which suggest that (if anyone actually sees it) DIANA does deserve to be crowned by us. 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 12:55pm

Here is my full write-up, written before HeadRAZZBerry posted above:  

AMONG THE BIGGEST TRAGEDIES OF THE 1990S WAS THE CAR CRASH DEATH OF PRINCESS DIANA OF WALES. THE BELOVED ROYALTY HAD BEEN WORLD FAMOUS FOR DECADES, AND THE UNITED KINGDOM MAY NEVER FULLY RECOVER. EVERYONE ALIVE IN THE FIRST WORLD TODAY HOPES SHE WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN AS LONG AS HUMAN HISTORY CONTINUES TO BE RECORDED. AND LIKE ANY SIGNIFICANT RECENT-HISTORICAL EVENT, SEVERAL FILMS HAVE BEEN MADE ABOUT HER DEATH, SUCH AS “THE QUEEN”, ARGUABLY HELEN MIRREN’S BEST ROLE.

BUT LIKE ANY BELOVED FIGURE OR HERO, IT IS NOT HOW THEY DIED THAT MADE THEM HEROES OR PUBLIC SWEETHEARTS. IT IS HOW THEY LIVED. IF ANYTHING, A FILM ABOUT HER LIFE IS SUPPOSED TO BE EVEN MORE IMPORTANT. ADDING INSULT TO INJURY, DIANA, STARRING NAOMI WATTS (MULHOLLAND DRIVE, 21 GRAMS, KING KONG ‘005, EASTERN PROMISES, FAIR GAME, THE IMPOSSIBLE) WAS SUPPOSED TO SHOWCASE THE PRINCESS’ LIFE FROM CIRCA SEPTEMBER 1995 TO AUGUST 1997, AND FAILED MISERABLY.

IT WAS PANNED BY CRITICS WHO COMPARED THIS TO A SHALLOW DAYTIME SOAP OPERA. DESPITE WATTS’ EFFORTS TO GIVE THIS FAILED BIOPIC SOME REDEEMING QUALITY, THE SCRIPT WAS TERRIBLE, AND THE DIRECTION WAS CLUMSY AND GRACELESS. ALSO, NAOMI WATTS WAS ONE OF DOZENS OF PEOPLE WHO SCARRED THEIR CAREERS LAST WINTER WITH MOVIE 43. THIS FILM IS NOW A MORE IN-THE-SHADOWS TARGET FOR WORST DIRECTOR FOR OLIVER HIRSCHBIEGEL, WORST SCREENPLAY, AND MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, WORST ACTRESS.

THE ONLY SETBACK ON THIS FILM’S RAZZBERRY PROSPECTS IS IT’S RELEASE SCHEDULE. ORIGINALLY, WE HAD THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE OFF THE HOOK ON A TECHNICALITY BASED ON THE L.A./NYC RULE FOR OSCAR AND RAZZIE QUALIFICATION. JUST THIS WEEK, WE FOUND OUT THIS IS BEING RELEASED NEARLY SOLELY IN THOSE TWO METROPOLISES. IN SHORT, TOO FEW PEOPLE WILL ACTUALLY SEE IT TO GIVE THIS MUCH OF A CHANCE. BUT WHAT SAY YOU?

IT IS NOT HOW A HERO DIES THAT MAKES THEM A HERO. 

IT IS HOW THEY LIVE. THIS FILM IS THE ULTIMATE BLACK 

EYE TO THE LAST TWO YEARS OF PRINCESS DIANA’S LIFE, 

AND HIRSCHBIEGEL SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR TARNISHING 

THE LEGACY OF WELSH ROYALTY! 

My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Mrc. 25; Divergent. Apl. 1; NOAH, Sabotage. Apl. 15; Oculus. Apl. 22; A Haunted House 2. Apl. 29; The Other Woman.
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 4:37pm
When I read the updated Razzie list the movie was listed but did not have a forum. So I assumed Diana was being overlooked for Razzie consideration. 

Originally posted by oiram

Dude, Headrazz was going to start a forum later. You could not wait, could you?
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 7:07pm
Seeing how Diana comes from the same director that brought us Downfall, the film that spawned the endless amount of infamous Hitler parodies, I wonder if anyone had dared to make a Hitler parody involving this film and/or its cast and crew.
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 8:53am
Headrazz made this an "official" forum after all -- Cool!  

I think that is actually better, so more people will take notice, and go out of their way to see it, and discover how bad it is...  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 2:25pm
To HeadRAZZ: I noticed on the remains of the previous member-started forum for Diana that no obviously RAZZ-able films will be opening on Nvb. 8. However, both Rotten Tomatoes and Wikipedia's page on Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, last I checked, listed Nvb. 8, 2013 as the release date for The Starving Games. Are you still deliberating on whether it meets the technical release prerequisites?

To oiram: I agree. This forum will actually inspire people to see it and get a taste of how bad this is. How will the United Kingdom react in the likely event that this dodges the Worst of 2013 RAZZIE nominations?
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Mrc. 25; Divergent. Apl. 1; NOAH, Sabotage. Apl. 15; Oculus. Apl. 22; A Haunted House 2. Apl. 29; The Other Woman.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 3:46pm
I'm not sure if The Starving Games is technically eligible for Razzie consideration. According to this, it comes out on VOD the same day as its theatrical release. Doesn't that make it ineligible?? 
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Up-next: Reefer Madness
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 10:56am
I've slogged through 40 minutes of this movie before I set it aside to do other things.  I'll continue it tonight, but Oliver Hirschbiegel, who directed the critically lauded Downfall (Shocked), has violated one of the most stated rules of filmmaking - you have to hook the audience within the first 15 minutes.  He has taken one of the most vibrant, controversial, beautiful, beloved icons of the 80s and reduced her to boring.  The only relief from the boredom comes when Naveen Andrews speaks, and even then it's just one actor speaking.  I'm not sure why Naomi Watts allowed her character to be so dull and commonplace.  

Still, I've only seen 40 minutes of a 113 minute film, but if I was in a theater, I'd be so disappointed.  If the rest of the movie is just as boring, I can see why the British press so wanted this movie to be on the ballot.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 11:19am
I'd like to tell you that the story eventually gets going... but it doesn't.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 8:15am
Vits: That's an understatement!  

When I saw Joaquin Phoenix in I Walk The Line, he didn't look anything like Johnny Cash. . . until he started acting.  And then, despite him not looking like Johnny Cash, I saw Johnny Cash, not Joaquin Phoenix.  I am still amazed at how he pulled that off.

Naomi Watts needed to pull the same thing off in this movie, but she failed, and I'm guessing that's Oliver Hirschbiegel's fault.  I'm guessing, based on what I saw, that Hirschbiegel approached this story as history, when it should have been approached as a love story.  I mean, that's where the important part of the tale is at, that's the part the audience would have loved to see, especially if it was encased in how Princess Diana became the people's princess.   There were certain scenes that turned out good, maybe even better than good, but on the whole, this movie was boring, and considering the subject matter, that was severely disappointing.

Going back to Watts and Hirschbeigel, it could also be that Watts overreached her ability, too.  We won't know, though, because there was no way anyone was going to shine in this movie.  

Originally posted by Vits

I'd like to tell you that the story eventually gets going... but it doesn't. 

Post Reply Post Reply