Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > THE GREAT GATSBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of GREAT GATSBY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of GREAT GATSBY
    Posted: May 08 2013 at 11:16am
IF YOU'RE GOING TO BASE a BIG BUDGET MOVIE on a NOVEL MOST PEOPLE HAVE READ, WE'VE ALWAZE THOUGHT IT BEST to AVOID the NOVELS WHOSE READERS WERE FORCED to READ THEM by GENERATIONS of HIGH SCHOOL ENGLISH TEACHERS. CASE in POINT: DEMI MOORE's HILARIOUS, RAZZIE®-WINNING 1995 REMAKE of THE SCARLET LETTER... 

IN THAT SAME VEIN COMES a 6th SCREEN VERSION of F. SCOTT FITZGERALD's BEST KNOWN WORK, THE GREAT GATSBY. DIRECTED with APPARENT OVER-the-TOP ENTHUSIASM by BAZ LUHRMANN, and STARRING LEONARDO diCAPRIO in the TITLE ROLE.  PLAGUED by PRODUCTION SETBACKS, RE-SHOOTS and MULTIPLE PUSHINGS-BACK of ITS RELEASE DATE, THIS ONE LOOKS LIKE SUMMER 2013's ANSWER to JOHN CARTER -- a GREAT BIG WHITE ELEPHANT of a MOVIE, POISED to LOSE a FORTUNE LARGE ENOUGH to FEED a SMALL AFRICAN NATION. 

ITS ONE POSSIBLE SAVING GRACE WAS THAT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN EMBRACED by AMERICAN FILM CRITICS as a FINE LITERARY ADAPTATION of a NOVEL ALMOST NO ONE CAN RELATE to ANYMORE. BUT ITs R.T. SCORE WAS AT a LOWLY 38% TWO DAYS BEFORE ITs OPENING (LINK) SO THERE GOES THAT HOPE.

OH, and ONE MORE GRIPE: OF ALL the NOVELS WORTH BOTHERING to FILM in 3-D...THEY PICKED GREAT GATSBY? SERIOUSLY?? 

IF YOU'RE AMONG THOSE WHO RESENT HAVING BEEN FORCED to READ the BOOK, and YOU WANNA DUMP on the MOVIE AS an "ACT of REVENGE" ...HAVE AT IT! 

AS for US, WE'RE GONNA WAIT to SEE THIS BEHEMOTH of a BOX OFFICE BOWSER on PAY-PER-VIEW, WHERE WE CAN BE BORED for 143 MINUTES for UNDER SIX BUCKS! 

TO PROVIDE AMMO for YER POST, HERE's the LINK to OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on THIS FILM... 

AND, JUST for GIGGLES, HERE's the LINK to CHECK OUT HEAD RAZZ-BERRY's 'FOTO FUNNY' on GREAT GATSBY...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 11:47am
So far, this one has more to do with the finances and budgeting than anything else, because all but 1 review on Metacritic is either positive or mixed, giving it a 57% Metascore (which, based on the 20/40/60/80 scale, that's a C+). But at least it's losing 10 to 16 on the Tomatometer so far, giving it a D+ there. It's still going to need a LOT more negative reviews in the next 5 or so days before I can recommend it for the 2013 RAZZIES. I still have my eye on the Tomatometer for Peeples, which is tied 3 to 3 on the Tomatometer.

Of all the books I was forced to read in high school as per the curricula, The Great Gatsby is a non-issue. I'd be more worried about an adaptation of The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams. And now that Wall Street and the neo-Republican party have been exposed as pigs responsible for starvation and illness in American children, I can understand why no-one can relate to Jay Gatsby anymore. People buying houses with more than 10 times what they had to put down is factor #1 in our economy crashing into a rockface after all!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 11:56am
The reviews are worse and worse. This, the poorly-reviewed 70s version, and the fact that no other version was memorable enough to have enough reviews, make me want to ask: How good is the book? Is there a way to make a good movie based on it?
Originally posted by GTAHater767

I'd be more worried about an adaptation of The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams.
I was in a play of that story. While the themes are timeless, the premise about a guy inviting a "candidate" for his sister over for dinner, and the mother trying her best to impress him, does seem dated. Also, I don't know if the dialogue is more or less cringeworthy without the southern accents.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 12:11pm
I have always heard that Great Gatsby was a book that people had to read in high school. I, too, think that Peeples should be kept an eye on.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 12:32pm
As I've mentioned a couple times here before, I had to read the book for high school. And the book is... eh, OK. Gatsby's an interesting character, but Nick was boring and Tom and Daisy were annoying. But Myrtle was the absolute worst. Everyone in my class hated her. When she gets hit by Daisy, a few of my classmates admitted to cheering.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 1:06pm
Actually, PEEPLES' R.T. rating has been going up...   

Originally posted by oiram

Peeples should be kept an eye on.

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 1:09pm
Peeples is at 50% on RT right now, which means it could go either way.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 5:51pm
Actually, PEEPLES' and GATSBY's numbers have switched!  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: It should be pointed out that, as of this posting (see time & date above) GATSY's numbers reflect nearly 3 dozen reviews, while those for PEEPLES are based on less than ten critics...  

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 6:47pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: As I have pointed out many times elsewhere on this Forum, when a film's release is delayed multiple times -- and re-shoots are involved -- that's almost never a good sign in terms of the film's likely quality or success. I should also point out that, when delays occur again and again, certain critics "lie in wait" to pounce when the film finally is released. But right now the R.T. numbers (LINK) on GATSBY are so low that, even factoring in these provisos, it appears to be a mediocre movie at best (and, lest we forget, a mediocre movie that took 2 years -- and about $125 million -- to make)...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 9:15am
Jeremy Jahns' review: 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 5:24pm
R.T. (40-45%): "While certainly ambitious, and every bit as visually dazzling as one might expect, the film emphasizes visual splendor at the expense of its source material's vibrant heart."  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 6:55am
Jonathan Kim's review: 

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 10:27am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Here's the LINK to see an L.A. Times 50-Image Photo Gallery from GREAT GATSBY. If you set it up to view as a slide show, it could take the place of actually seeing the movie...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 4:51pm
Richard Roeper's review: 

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 9:42am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Just for fun, here's the LINK to read an L.A. Times article collating comments from various reviews on GATSBY, and arriving at the consensus that the movie is a matter of "style over substance"...ENJOY!

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 7:01pm
The Great Gatsby has been so over-hyped: Every 5 minutes there is A TV Spot, ads for it are all over the internet and now it even has a YouTube ad! 

As For the tomato meter on RT, it basically states the movie is all about the visuals, and the plot gets lost. This happened before, in flops like Battleship and the Transformers franchise, where it's all about action and explosions. while the "story" and "plot" are non existent. 

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>