Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > THE GREAT GATSBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of GREAT GATSBY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of GREAT GATSBY
    Posted: May 12 2013 at 7:09am
Does the post below mean that we have to start worrying about Gravity??? It had multiple delays (even one of entire year!) and did re-shoots (partially because they wanted to convert it to 3D)????  

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: As I have pointed out many times elsewhere on this Forum, when a film's release is delayed multiple times -- and re-shoots are involved -- that's almost never a good sign in terms of the film's likely quality or success. 

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 7:22am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Please note, I said "almost never," so this case could be an exception...but the fact that they decided to "convert" it to 3-D in post production does come with some baggage... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 7:58am
Quick question, I've seen many TV spots and trailers for The Great Gatsby. Why in the world would the people in post production put a movie like that in 3D? Is Leo going to hand us a glass full of Champagne or something?
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 9:12am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Actually, Baz Luhrmann chose to shoot GATSBY in 3-D before he began production (as opposed to imposing post-production 3-D on the film). Given that the novel is a character and dialogue driven work (rather than one which clearly lends itself to the gimmick of Crap-Coming-All-Up-in-Yer-Face 3-D) I think Luhrmann's "vision" for the film looks even more ridiculous than if he'd decided to "3-D It Up" after the fact!  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 3:15pm
Note to Bas Luhrmann: Modern Hip hop doesn't mix with the Roaring 20s. 
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 8:52am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Here's the LINK to read an amusing L.A. Times article discussing audience response to the "3-D-ification" of GATSBY, the headline of which includes a hilarious quip about it by none other than Stephen Colbert... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 9:56am
Loved Colbert's quote: "Like Homework flying out at you!"  

I think the younger audience members like the 3-D version of the film because, well... youth can be stupid. Sorry, but "Jack and Jill" did win a Kid's Choice Award!     

But I will say this, The Great Gatsby did do well its opening weekend, with 50 Million dollars for a strong 2nd place finish (probably because, like I said in another post, the film was so over-hyped). Peeples pretty much bombed its opening weekend, with only 4$ Million and a 4th place finish. Then again, the lack of promotion and TV Spots for Peeples was pathetic.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:11am
James Franco has reviewed this film. I didn't know stars were allowed to do that.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:55am
Until James Franco can master hosting an award show properly, he shouldn't be allowed to review the latest episode of "Revenge," let alone review a motion picture!   

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 12:17pm
Franco is "experimental" -- He's written and directed films, too. I would not be surprised if he also released a music album!

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 2:10pm
WHAT THE FLICK's review:
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 12:40pm
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 2:37pm
Who should get nominated for this over-hyped movie? 

Worst Picture: An analysis of the other categories will explain why. 

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel: As another adaption of the novel of the same name this counts as a remake. 

Worst Director: Baz Luhrmann. As the main driving force he deserves much of the blame for this clumsy adaption of the novel. 

Rap music in a 1920s setting? That is a bad combination, like coating a bar of chocolate in ketchup. 

Just like his previous movies Baz Luhrmann has included fast-paced editing. There is a new camera angle every five to fifteen seconds in most of the scenes. A good drama needs some scenes to be slow-paced, especially when there is dialogue. 

Baz Luhrmann has relied on glitz and glamour of the Roaring Twenties instead of character interplay. Drama needs strong, highly-developed characters. Instead Luhrmann has tried to use the cast as props. Why? The cast has mostly decent actors. 

Worst Screenplay: Baz Luhrmann and Craig Pearce. These two has written a screenplay full of party and city scenes instead of character development and interaction. As this movie is supposed to be a drama there should be a great emphasis on characters. 
Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
AndP View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote AndP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 10:14pm
Could Worst Eye-Gouging Misuse of 3D be brought back? There's enough other candidates (After Earth, Lone Ranger, RIPD, Battle of the Year, Texas Chainsaw 3D, Smurfs 2, Percy Jackson 2, GI Joe 2).
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 5:47pm
I just saw it. I don't think it should be nominated for anything.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2013 at 12:45pm
My review (skip to 05:19 (the video begins with my thoughts on the '70s version)):

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12