Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > HANGOVER III
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Forum Members' Discussion of HANGOVER: 3...AUDS: 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of HANGOVER: 3...AUDS: 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of HANGOVER: 3...AUDS: 1
    Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:02am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I was suggesting that the very existence of this film is a "rip-off," as in: The idea of doing a third HANGOVER movie, when the second one sucked and a third one would exist only to take movie-goers' money, is inherently a "rip-off." 

As if further evidence were needed, here's the LINK to read today's L.A. Times review of HANGOVER III, which declares "the comedy has left the building," and which (in the print edition) has a sub-headline that refers to the film as "dismal"...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 10:32am
Then wouldn't every bad movie be considered a rip-off? 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: NO -- Please re-read my post above. I was speaking specifically about this film -- and the fact that almost everyone loathed the 2nd entry in this franchise. Yet here they are, back again, looking to swipe yet another ticket's worth of bucks from our pockets. 

Let me put it this way: If these film-makers were party guests, we'd have thrown them out for how they behaved last time when they showed up and barfed on everyone -- and we'd never willingly let them in the front door again... 

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 1:16pm
Just got back from this. It was better than the second one, by virtue of not just being a lazy regurgitation -- but that's not saying much. I'd say it's definitely a Razzie contender. Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong were especially bad. 

My Grade: C 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:10pm
So then every sequel to a bad movie would be a rip-off?

Originally posted by HeadRAZZberry

NO -- Please re-read my post above. I was speaking specifically about this film -- and the fact that almost everyone loathed the 2nd entry in this franchise. Yet here they are, back again, looking to swipe yet another ticket's worth of bucks from our pockets.

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

It's definitely a Razzie contender.

For which categories? 

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:18pm
Vits what I think Head Razz means is this: Ever since the first Hangover, the studio behind the film has really just wanted people to buy into the sequels because of the popularity of that first film. Since the first film, they pretty much repeated the same formula in the 2nd Hangover film (don't know about the 3rd). But from #3's 23% rating on RT (and the horrible reviews it's getting in other places) it seems to be another repeat of the first and second films, just in a different setting and with a different tone. Instead of a comedy, Hangover 3 seems like an action/thriller. Do the writers and studio executives really think they can fool us just by changing the place and tone of a film and we won't know it's just the same S**t happening over and over again??  
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:56pm
Here's what I think The Hangover Part III should be on the ballot for: Worst Supporting Actor for both Zach and Ken, Worst Screenplay, Worst Screen Couple for Zach and Ken (if you see the film, you'll understand why I have them under here), Worst Screen Ensemble, and Worst Remake, Rip-off, or Sequel.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 4:01pm
This might be a long shot, but do you think it could also be up for Worst Picture?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 5:09pm
I don't personally see it as a Worst Picture contender (for me, movies that get a D+ or lower are Worst Picture contenders), but I could see a less forgiving person wanting it to be a Worst Picture contender.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:30pm
How long was Melissa McCarthy in it?
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

I don't personally see it as a Worst Picture contender (for me, movies that get a D+ or lower are Worst Picture contenders), but I could see a less forgiving person wanting it to be a Worst Picture contender.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:42pm
McCarthy has less than 10 minutes of screen time == and she's actually one of the funnier parts of the film.
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 11:42pm
Who/what deserves Razzie nominations for this? Here is my list: 

Worst Picture: The rest of the list will explain why. 

Worst Actor: Zach Galifianakis. That scene where his character, Alan, is "crying" is one of the worst comedic performances I have ever seen. 

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel: This is one of the worst sequels in recent years. 

Worst Director: Todd Phillips. He has put together a dark thriller rather than a comedy. A dark thriller is usually funny when it is a satire, but this movie is no satire. However, even if they had attempted satire, it was unlikely to work as those are so difficult to do well. 

Worst Screenplay: Todd Phillips and Craig Mazin. I do not mind a comedy that is violent (e.g. Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) as long as it is funny. The movie's funny moments are squashed by the violence and dark tone. 

Worst Screen Couple: Zach Galifianakis and Melissa McCarthy. This is an obvious mismatch. Alan (Galifianakis) is a middle-aged loser. Cassie (Melissa McCarthy) is a store manager. 
SPOILER ALERT. Please do not bother with that "love at first sight" argument. It is illogical. 

Worst Screen Ensemble: The unfunny screenplay and poor direction have turned what was a likable bunch of characters in the first film into a group that you want to throw "rotten tomatoes"  at this time (excuse the pun).  

Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 11:54am
I would also say that Ken Jeong is pretty much a shoo- in for Worst Supporting Actor. He has been nominated in that category before, but Al Pacino "won" that year for Jack and Jill. My favorite quote about Jeong was on Rotten Tomatoes some time ago:

"Note to Ken, YELLING DOESN'T MAKE A LINE FUNNIER!"
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 12:15pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Don't know if MovieCritic1994 is aware that we make extensive use of actual critics' quotes in our ceremonies, but I'm pretty sure he'll be glad to know we used the Ken Jeong quote about "yelling a line" in our show that year... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 12:24pm
I love the RT quotes the Razzies use. Like this quote about Nick Swardson:

"Accomplishes the unthinkable feat of being more annoying than Rob Schneider".

Or this quote about M. Night's "The Happening"

"You feel like you're watching not the end of the world, but the end of a career".

Or maybe even this wonderful quote gem about "The Love Guru"

"If I had a nickel for every time I laughed, I'd have a dime"!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 2:24pm
So far, 2 members have suggested a nomination for Zach Galifianakis. But one said Worst Actor and the other said Worst Supp. Actor. If he gets nominated, for which category will it be?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 2:55pm
I think Galifianakis did the best he could with an unfunny script, but if any actors should be given the Worst achievement Razzie it probably would be Bradley Cooper. He just came off his Oscar nominated role in Silver Linings Playbook. He could do so much better than this film series. And yet, he decided to go back to the role.

Like I also said earlier in another post here, Ken Jeong is pretty much a contender for "Worst Supporting Actor".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>