Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > Special Forum Discussion: JOHN CARTER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of JOHN CARTER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of JOHN CARTER
    Posted: March 24 2012 at 4:53pm
I came back from seeing it. I thought there were parts where it got drawn out describing Martian society, but it sure wasn't something that "broke the mold" for me (like the original Star Wars in 1977). I do believe this is the 21st Century equivalent to the Liz Taylor Cleopatra -- lots of cash spent, you can see where the money went on screen, but it will probably take decades to break even. 

Head Razz is right that the marketing team really sucked dead elephant dicks. As a kid who grew up reading the original Burroughs books, what I saw on the screen was a let-down (just as I was let down by the Johnny Weissmueller movies/Ron Ely Tarzan Movies/TV shows). But then, I also read Lowell/Wells/Bradbury books, I was fascinated seeing Mars in my telescope, thinking that Ray Walston was up there. But, that's how I felt as a kid. 

Nowadays, youngsters have no clue about the original Burroughs books. Maybe this would have made more sense if Bob Clampett had found the financing to do his animated John Carter feature back in the 30s/40s.
2014 Pic: LEFT BEHIND Actor: NICHOLAS CAGE Director: VIC ARMSTRONG, DAMN THIS SHOULD WIN EVERY RAZZIE!!!!!
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 6:00am
Joe, folks like you and I grew up with the John Carter stories and we had the luxury of suspension of disbelief. But the world has changed a lot and these days, it is pretty hard for sci-fi to stay out in front of science. If you want modern audiences to buy into your story, Mars is now too familiar to work.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 11:50am
Here's a clip of Bob Clampett's proposed John Carter cartoon he worked on back in the 30s. Frankly, it probably would have been more interesting if he had been able to get the backing to do this in the 30s. He would have beaten Disney to make the first animated feature. Oh, what could had been...

2014 Pic: LEFT BEHIND Actor: NICHOLAS CAGE Director: VIC ARMSTRONG, DAMN THIS SHOULD WIN EVERY RAZZIE!!!!!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 12:16pm
Bob Clampett was great....Beanie and Cecil is still absolutely classic
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 12:21pm
Agreed. The less said about The New Adventures Of Beany And Cecil the better.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 12:27pm
Yes, but the originals were filled with biting satires...priceless stuff
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 6:51pm
I just saw this film and have to say this: I think people are out to get Taylor Kitsch. This man can't get himself a break, with John Carter and now with Battleship. The film itself was fantastic. I rarely have the feeling of overwhelming joy like I did when I saw John Carter. The story was mesmerizing, and after the credits rolled, I immediately regret not watching it in theaters. I suspect the experience would have been even better and more immersive. If films like John Carter are ignored by the audience, this is probably why we can't have good films.
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 4:30pm

Moviewizguy I am in agreement with you. John Carter was fantastic.
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 6:17pm

I thought it was too.

"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2012 at 7:05pm
Time to rip into John Carter. Before I do though, I'll note this: It's easily the best movie I'm reviewing this week. Especially since the rest of this week's movies all get F's!

The first scene where John discovers he can jump well is handled well. I actually got excited for it. The special effects are handled well here as well. The Tharks look great. Some of the action scenes are good like the end fight. And, I'd be negligent if I didn't mention that Woola, John's alien-dog thing, is the best character in the movie. He deserves a better movie to be in than this.

Lynn Collins is kinda stiff as Dejah, a Martian princess. She has some funny faces though. The screenplay is surprisingly bland when you consider that one of the writers has a Pulitzer. The film has one of the biggest non "mo-crap" examples of "uncanny valley" in recent memory with the Thark babies. They look ugly and their cries are scarier than some horror movie villains.

Taylor Kitsch gives one of the blandest performances in ages. He seems rather non-plussed about seeing a giant green alien. He's not as bad as he was in Battleship, but that's not saying much. I thought that he was decent in that sh*tty Wolverine spin-off though. The 3-D here isn't at the same level as Clash Of The Titans, Green Lantern, or Last Airbender, but it's close. The pacing here is even worse than in Three Musketeers. It's two hours 12 minutes, but feels closer to three hours. But almost all the blame can be laid at Andrew Stanton's feet. His direction is realy crappy and he "helped" with the marketing that killed the film.

Why was Ciaran Hinds in this? Why does it feel like he's in everything? Grade: C-

Next-up: The Vow!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 5:45am
I give John Carter a Bt  (it was awesome). A much better movie than you make it out to be (At least in my opinion).

Also Stanton being involved in the marketing, is only a rumor, and I thought his direction was quite fine.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 5:22pm
I just saw it.

To answer the poll... No, it shouldn't be nominated for Worst Picture. Worst Actor? Maybe. Taylor Kitsch wasn't that bad, but I'll wait until I see BATTLESHIP to decide. Worst 3D? Although I didn't see it in 3D, the shots seemed like they must've looked good. But those who actually see it in 3D have to decide.

Is this the world we live in? Why is it that the highest grossing movies tend to be the best and the not that bad, while the worst and the not that good (like this) are the flops? This is a masterpiece compared to most live-action Disney movies. It sends a wrong message.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 12:45pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here's a LINK to read a berry interesting article in The L.A. Times (the movie industry's Local Paper of Record) asking why JOHN CARTER got an avalanche of bad publicity when it bombed, while BATTLESHIP (whose b.o. and budget numbers are berry similar -- and which also, coincidentally, stars Taylor Kitsch) got away almost scott free...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 1:16pm
That theory is very interesting and most likely true. Like the article said (and HeadRAZZ also said in this Forum) the problem for JOHN CARTER was the title. Although you can't trust the younger generation to know about the old source material, hearing the title BATTLESHIP at least you have some idea of what it's about. Also, their trailers had probelms. The one for BATTLESHIP played up similarities to TRANSFORMERS, but the one for CARTER showed some of the details that audiences would assume were ripped-off* from other movies (mainly PRINCE OF PERSIA) making it look less exciting.

*I know, the book was written in 1912, but you have to know the risks. If you're worried about adapting something 100 years old, knowing that it's likely to look unoriginal, then don't adapt it.  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 5:48pm

It wasn't that, most people say the trailers weren't very well done. In turn however most people I know of said they were pleasantly surprised as a result since they thought it was going to suck. 
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 6:45pm
Good point.

As of right now, the movie has grossed back its budget worldwide. Unless you focus on domestic grosses only, this is no longer among the biggest flops.
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Why was Ciaran Hinds in this? Why does it feel like he's in everything?
He's a character actor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>