Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > Special Forum Discussion: JOHN CARTER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of JOHN CARTER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of JOHN CARTER
    Posted: June 05 2012 at 8:00pm
John Carter wasn't Razzie material, but it was at best a rather complete waste of 2 hours of my life and on the whole, utterly forgetable. A tip of the hat here to SchumacherH8ter for a spot on review.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 12:43pm

Funny because SchumacherH8ter''s review doesn't even reflect the public's opinion of the film. At least that's the opinion I got from reading all of those highly positive Amazon.com reviews of the movie (which waits it's score at 4.5). Sure Amazon is only a website, but a lot of people buy from it, and obviously most customers who purchased/saw the movie were more than pleased.

Also I'm glad I saw it in theaters. Seeing it on DVD again, reminded me of underrated it really was. Not forgettable in the least.

I don't mind that people dislike it, but if someone calls it crap, I won't be afraid to defend it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 3:29pm
Here's an interesting article about John Carter. The writer doesn't think the film itself is brilliant, but he provides some interesting points as to why it's not a bad film:  http://io9.com/5894393/the-fact-the-lorax-is-a-hit-and-john-carter-is- a-flop-makes-me-want-to-stab-everybody
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 3:33pm

I don't care about reflecting the opinion of the public. I do care about expressing my own opinion and my opinion is that John Carter wasn't a very good movie.

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Up-next: Reefer Madness
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

Here's an interesting article about John Carter. The writer doesn't think the film itself is brilliant, but he provides some interesting points as to why it's not a bad film:  http://io9.com/5894393/the-fact-the-lorax-is-a-hit-and-john-carter-is- a-flop-makes-me-want-to-stab-everybody
One complain about the article: the writer mentioned their Rotten Tomatoes scores, but only among top critics.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by whatsthepoint

Funny because SchumacherH8ter''s review doesn't even reflect the public's opinion of the film. At least that's the opinion I got from reading all of those highly positive Amazon.com reviews of the movie (which waits it's score at 4.5). Sure Amazon is only a website, but a lot of people buy from it, and obviously most customers who purchased/saw the movie were more than pleased.

Also I'm glad I saw it in theaters. Seeing it on DVD again, reminded me of underrated it really was. Not forgettable in the least.

I don't mind that people dislike it, but if someone calls it crap, I won't be afraid to defend it.
The most irrelevant possible collection of reviews you could offer would be those of the people who purchased it at Amazon. How many people do you think purchased the DVD unless they saw it and liked it in the theaters? However, I went to Amazon and checked the most recent ratings. The DVD received 5121 reviews. Out of those, 917 gave it 4 out of 5 stars, 1235 gave it 3, 1280 gave it 2 and 1289 gave it 1. I'm not sure in what universe that averages out to 4.5, but close to 60% of the respondents rated it 2 stars or less.

ADDENDUM: There was more than one link for this DVD at Amazon. Curiously enough after going back and taking another look, I found several different review ratings. The one I cited above remains the largest sample, which tends to lead me to trust it as the most accurate of purchasers' opinion. However, I find this a curious credibility issue with Amazon's ratings.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 2:41pm
Skip to 04:06.

Any thoughts?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 1:02pm
The AVClub did a Commentary Tracks of the Damned entry on this. Apparantly, Andrew Stanton went mad with power and spent money on frivolous things. LINK: http://www.avclub.com/articles/john-carters-commentary-track-showcases-three-film,86634/
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Up-next: Reefer Madness
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234