Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > Special Forum Discussion: JOHN CARTER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of JOHN CARTER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of JOHN CARTER
    Posted: March 10 2012 at 7:07pm
NOTE: THIS IS a "MEMBER-STARTED" FORUM...

HAVE WE FOUND 2012's ANSWER to GREEN LANTERN?

DESPITE BEING BETTER THAN THAT GREEN DUD, JOHN CARTER MAY ACTUALLY BOMB HARDER THAN
LANTERN DID! YESTERDAY, IT FLOPPED AT THE BOX-OFFICE, AND WITH GOOD REASON: IT'S OVER-LONG, OVER-BUDGET, UNDER-WHELMING and HAS SOME OF THE MOST NON-EXISTANT 3-D YOU'LL EVER SEE. AND IT's a MASSIVE BORE TO BOOT!

JOHN CARTER MAY NOT BE THE WORST MOVIE OUT THERE, BUT IT'S SUCH a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT (AND A MEGATON BOMB!) THAT I THINK IT DESERVES A FORUM HERE!

John Carter Poster
The movie that put Diz-
knee in the red!! 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 9:19pm
Saw it, it was decent. Could have been worse though.
Pictures move, do they?
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2012 at 10:38pm
Judging by this film's progress (financial and critical), Andrew Stanton appears not to have made the successful transition to live action as fellow Pixar director Brad Bird did last year...
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 10:36am
R.T. (48-52%): "While the movie looks terrific and delivers its share of pulpy thrills, it also suffers from uneven pacing and occasionally incomprehensible plotting and characterization".

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 10:39am
From now, I'll separate the reviews from pros to amateurs.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 10:40am
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 3:39pm
A few quick thoughts that would feel out of place in my take.

1.) There's some serious uncanny valley: In one scene, a bunch of baby martians hatch and they're some of the creepiest creatures to ever appear in a Disney movie. They're ugly, they have an annoying, creepy screech, and it appears that we're supposed to find them "ugly-cute".

2.) The 3-D in the Wrath Of The Titans trailer was better: Yes, the sequel to the movie that defined horrible post-production 3-D hackjob conversions has better 3-D in its trailer than a $250 million Disney movie. The only scene in John Carter that I noticed 3-D was the scene with the white ape, and it was a rip-off of the scene in Trannies Three where LaButthole and Josh Duhamel swing off Starscream's eye.

3.) The acting is meh: Other than Taylor Kitsch, who's bland, and Lynn Collins, who has some of the most hilarious facial expressions since Jeremy Irons in D&D, the acting isn't very bad.

4.) The special effects were good, but not great: They're not bad, but compared to the Transformers movies (which actually cost less!!) they don't stack-up.

5.) The Razzie prospects are low: The only nominations I see this film maybe getting are Worst Actor for Kitsch (mainly because he's in Battleship) and Worst 3-D (if we bring it back),
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 5:49pm
I saw it and I thought it was amazing. Everything from the story to the visuals to the music, all moved me. Andrew Stanton has done a wonderful job with his first live action film, and it going to flop because of disney's piss poor marketing. In no way was this movie boring or disapointing (screw you SchumacherH8ter)  and it was much much much much much better than Avatar.

I despise you SchumacherH8ter for starting this forum.

PS: So many people actually thought this movie looked terrible because of poor trailers, not many people had high expectations, that disapointment aspect is not true at all.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 6:14pm
I've been wanting to do this for awhile now: whatsthepoint, permit me to introduce you to moviewizguy. moviewizguy, meet whatsthepoint.

Now....problem one with this movie is that it is 2012, not 1912. When Edgar Rice Burroughs was bouncing between novels about Tarzan and John Carter, Mars was pretty big in the public consciousness. Percivall Lowell was still hanging around, beating the drum for the notion that a dying civilization lived on Mars. War of the Worlds was only a decade old and still being widely read and we weren't aware that Mars wasn't a very pleasant place to grow up yet. Folks in my age group were on the tail end of the generations that thrilled to Carter's exploits. But the demographic for this movie has mostly never heard of John Carter. In fact, most of them have probably never heard of Edgar Rice Burroughs. We can add in that it's original release was haulted by reedits and it is was dumped into theaters in March, not qualifying as a summer release. It will find an audience because there isn't much else to see out there right now, but the guess here is that by June, nobody will remember that this movie was ever in the theaters.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 6:25pm

I will remember it was in theaters, am I not a person. Also John Carter was not the edited, the final cut is the final cut.

Also it doesn't matter about the time period, as long as you can make people interested, they will go (may I remind you that the top movies at the box office as of lately are all rated rotten by rotten tomatoes). Marketing is marketing.

PS: Kind of a random response.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 6:42pm
Obviously "whats" likes this film and will defend it energetically....if he worked at Disney he would be a lonely man. The folks there are just hoping it doesn't turn into the financial catastrophe they are fully expecting. If numbers from the first weekend are any indication, it isn't going to make back much more than about 20% of the $400 million that execs predict it will need to break even. Here is a link to an article that confirms my statements:

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 7:31pm
I think one other point should be made here. While it is not uncommon for outsiders to present themselves on our forums and fire away at various regulars here with signficant venom, we have a long standing tradition of  interacting with each other with a very civil and respectful demeanor. Occasionally we may take a good natured shot at one another, but it is always in a spirit of good humor and never mean-spirited. (There have been rare exceptions, but exceptions they are.) We may well make our cases and express our opinions with passion, but we have always tried to frame our arguments in the context of the subject, not personalities.

With this in mind, "whats," I find your shots at Schumacher to be decidedly out of bounds. I, for one, think an apology from you to him would be very appropriate, along with a pledge to keep your future remarks within the spirit of the decorum we have always enjoyed on this board.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 7:46pm
Um overseas? Disney actually gets a lot from foreign markets, when compared to other companies. 

Also yeah I'm sorry about that SchumacherH8ter comment, but you what do you expect when you're on forums where people are blasting you day and night, with remarks like Moron.

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Obviously "whats" likes this film and will defend it energetically....if he worked at Disney he would be a lonely man. The folks there are just hoping it doesn't turn into the financial catastrophe they are fully expecting. If numbers from the first weekend are any indication, it isn't going to make back much more than about 20% of the $400 million that execs predict it will need to break even. Here is a link to an article that confirms my statements:

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 8:48pm
Apology accepted.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 2:46pm
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 6:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>