Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > MACHETE KILLS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of MACHETE KILLS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of MACHETE KILLS
    Posted: October 06 2013 at 1:56pm

THERE ARE ONLY a HANDFUL of LEGITIMATE REASONS to BOTHER MAKING a SEQUEL to ANY MOVIE:  

1) THE FIRST MOVIE (OR PREVIOUS ONE IF IT's a FRANCHISE) MADE sh*tLOADS MORE MONEY THAN IT COST... 

2) THE FIRST MOVIE (OR PREVIOUS ONE IF IT's a FRANCHISE) WAS a HUGE CRITICAL HIT...

...and/or...  

3) THE FIRST MOVIE (OR PREVIOUS ONE IF IT's a FRANCHISE) WON SOME WELL-KNOWN AWARD(s).   

BUT THE ORIGINAL MACHETE WAS NOT a BIG BOX OFFICE HIT (B.O. MoJo LINK)...

...IT WAS ONLY a MODERATE "HIT" with FILM CRITICS (METACRITIC LINK)...

...and the ONLY MAJOR AWARD(s) IT "WON" WERE an ALMA (SAY WHAT?!?) and a WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS RAZZIE® -- BOTH for JESSICA ALBA (IMDb LINK)...

SO, WE THINK IT's FAIR to ASK: 

WHY THE HELL DID THEY EVEN BOTHER to MAKE MACHETE KILLS

FEEL FREE to OFFER ANY ANSWERS YOU COME UP WITH (BOTH FACETIOUS and/or FACTUAL) BELOW. 

TO HELP FUEL YOUR FURY, HERE's the LINK to OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on THIS UN-NECESSARY SEQUEL...

...and to FIRE UP YOUR FUNNY BONES, HERE's the LINK to CHECK OUT OUR FOTO FUNNY ON IT (BORDERLINE TASTELESS, AS USUAL)...

SO...LOAD THOSE BULLETS in YOUR BRAs, FOLKS and BE PREPARED to...  

FIRE AWAY! 

* P.S. Once you've seen the TRAILER above, we think you'll agree: This one's a Berry Strong Contender for WORST SCREEN ENSEMBLE...

*P.P.S. Thanks to Oiram for providing the YouTube/Trailer LINK above...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 2:22pm
Somehow I knew that the sequel to Machete, which got a B or B- from critics back in the summer of 2010 wouldn't get good reviews. If the tomatometer rating (losing 2 to 7) is any indication, the Metacritic reviews won't stay high for long.

I was mystified as to why Machete and The Killer Inside Me (which got a C from critics) were included with Little Fockers and Valentine's Day in Jessica Alba's Worst Actress victory in the Worst of '010 RAZZIES. A few years later, I realized they were nominated under the "like the film, hate the act" parameter, and people like Vits, who emphatically support nominating good films for bad performances, are to blame.

Even Wikipedia is classifying it as "exploitation action" like it's its own genre.

As for what to nominate it for? There are so many actors and actresses who've caught our attention multiple times before, and some who are in other bad films this year (such as Charlie Sheen in Scary Movie V and Michelle Rodriguez in InAPPropriate Comedy), it would be hard to pick one stand-alone acting nomination. So far, if it only got one nomination for Worst Ensemble Cast, I'd be satisfied.

Response to oriam's post below: Who's Carlos Estevez?
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 2:43pm
Considering how little Jessica Alba is shown in the advertising, I have a feeling she is not in the movie all too long, so I doubt she'll be nominated/win again.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: If this does get a Worst Screen Ensemble nomination (which it's all but begging for with that cast) Alba will technically be a nominee again, even if her appearance is only a glorified cameo...

@GTAHater: Don't you mean "Carlos Estevez?" Also, you forgot Amber Heard, whom was in Paranoia with Liam Hemsworth, Gary Oldman, and Harrison Ford. 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 3:09pm
Did you not see the advertisements? Carlos Estevez is Charlie Sheen's real name. Carlos Estevez is how he is being credited for Machete Kills.

Originally posted by GTAHater767

Response to oriam's post below: Who's Carlos Estevez?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 3:47pm
I didn't like the first one (which was nominated for a bunch of 2011 Vits Awards including Worst Movie Actress... twice!). Actually, the only movie of the GRINDHOUSE franchise I've liked is PLANET TERROR. So I doubt I'll like this one.
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

WHY THE HELL DID THEY EVEN BOTHER to MAKE MACHETE KILLS?
The first one's ending was left open for a sequel. And after the credits, a title card said "MACHETE will return in MACHETE KILLS and MACHETE KILLS AGAIN". So they had planned a franchise from the start.

people like Vits, who emphatically support nominating good films for bad performances, are to blame.
Shocked 

Even Wikipedia is classifying it as "exploitation action" like it's its own genre.
It's not?

There are so many actors and actresses who've caught our attention multiple times before, and some who are in other bad films this year (such as Charlie Sheen in Scary Movie V and Michelle Rodriguez in InAPPropriate Comedy), it would be hard to pick one stand-alone acting nomination. So far, if it only got one nomination for Worst Ensemble Cast, I'd be satisfied.
Originally posted by oiram

you forgot Amber Heard, whom was in Paranoia with Liam Hemsworth, Gary Oldman, and Harrison Ford.
And there's Sofía Vergara who was in ESCAPE FROM PLANET EARTH, and, Vanessa Hudgens who was also in SPRING BREAKERS and THE FROZEN GROUND.

Maybe Razzie nominee Cuba Gooding Jr., Oscar nominee Demian Bichir, Oscar winner Walton Goggins, Grammy and 2011 Vits Award winner Lady Gaga, Oscar and 2011 Vits Award winner Mel Gibson, 2012 Vits Award nominee Alexa Vega, Antonio Banderas, William Sadler and of course Danny Trejo will give performances bad enough to deserve a Razzie.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 3:49pm
Guys! There's a Chilean in this movie! Marko Zaror a.k.a. "The Chilean Bruce Lee". I'm not pointing out for you to nominate him. Just wanted you to know.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 5:36pm
@Vits

Walton Goggins also had a small cameo in G.I. Joe: Retaliation

I never really heard Marko Zaror. Any movie recommendations?

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 6:30pm

I never really heard Marko Zaror. Any movie recommendations?
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 9:17am
Well, what I meant was that I don't think she'll be nominated/win for an individual award, since most slots are already full, there are more to come, and she does not seem to be on most other people's priority list at the moment. The Ensemble award, she'll certainly be up for.

Considering how little Jessica Alba is shown in the advertising, I have a feeling she is not in the movie all too long, so I doubt she'll be nominated/win again.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: If this does get a Worst Screen Ensemble nomination (which it's all but begging for with that cast) Alba will technically be a nominee again, even if her appearance is only a glorified cameo...

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 4:39pm

I don't get it! The reviews have risen to the C range. It has a 43% at Rotten T and 47% at Metacritic! Could it be because the schlocky parts were intentional and it gave the audience what it wanted? Wouldn't that make it fanservice?

To Vits: You may be shocked, but we all have our opinions on whether a film with good reviews should be nominated for the acting categories. I call it "liking the film and hating the act." Some people support this practice, but you're the one I've noticed it most out of. A case in point was 2011 when you supported 4 or 5 nominations for Water For Elephants, which critics gave a C. You endorsed it for more than all films except for three by this time two years ago. And there was one time where I thought you'd said that you either fully supported good films for bad performances getting RAZZed, or thought it was a great thing when it happened. Just up above, you suggested Vanessa Hudgens for Spring Breakers (grade B) and The Frozen Ground (grade C+) (but I'm not sure if you really want her RAZZed for those). A month ago, I also noticed it with oiram, who recommended The Call and White House Down for consideration for at least 3 nominations, despite critics giving both of those films Cs.

(This is my 1200th post!)
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 5:02am
Not really. That's what tongue-in-cheek movies do.

I don't get it! The reviews have risen to the C range. It has a 43% at Rotten T and 47% at Metacritic! Could it be because the schlocky parts were intentional and it gave the audience what it wanted? Wouldn't that make it fanservice?
This is what I do: When we start talking about a movie, I suggest nominations based on the little info we all have. When I watch a movie, I use the "For your consideration" and say what I want it to be nominated for. In previous years, I recommend the same movies and people until the end of the year, but last year I voted for the first time. So in forum polls, I separated my recommendations into what I wanted and what I knew.

I mentioned Vanessa Hudgens just because she's one of the few actors in this movie with other releases this year.

To Vits: You may be shocked, but we all have our opinions on whether a film with good reviews should be nominated for the acting categories. I call it "liking the film and hating the act." Some people support this practice, but you're the one I've noticed it most out of. A case in point was 2011 when you supported 4 or 5 nominations for Water For Elephants, which critics gave a C. You endorsed it for more than all films except for three by this time two years ago. And there was one time where I thought you'd said that you either fully supported good films for bad performances getting RAZZed, or thought it was a great think when it happened. Just up above, you suggested Vanessa Hudgens for Spring Breakers (grade B) and The Frozen Ground (grade C+) (but I'm not sure if you really want her RAZZed for those). A month ago, I also noticed it with oiram, who recommended The Call and White House Down for consideration for at least 3 nominations, despite critics giving both of those films Cs.
Clap

(This is my 1200th post!)
DaveThePhotoGuy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveThePhotoGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 3:22am
I saw the first "Machete" on a "Grindhouse" feature with "Planet Terror," "Death Proof" and "Hobo with a Shotgun" at the Prince Charles Cinema in London & it was almost the worst film on the bill, but "Planet Terror" took that honour with flying colours. Now on to "Machete": I did not like it -- I just couldn't take the intentional bad acting (even though it was played like that) and the overblown violence wasn't even enough to keep me interested.

So...

Will I see this film? I do not know...

Will I enjoy it? Hell no! 

Will it "win" Razzies? I predict not as many as you might think. 

I think they kinda sound like Depeche Mode
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 1:50pm
I just got back from this. It sucked, but I didn't hate it. The only real Razzie potential this has is Sofia Vergara for Worst Supporting Actress. She was really bad. Some might want to Razz Mel Gibson or Charlie Sheen, but they actually give the best performances in the film. Grade: C+
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 2:35pm
Did you ever see the first Machete film? How was it?

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 3:38pm
The first movie was a little better, but not much. Jessica Alba was really bad. I gave the original Machete a B-.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 12:57pm
There is a lesson to be learned from this movie. Whether you saw it or not, you might agree that Machete Kills made one huge marketing mistake: The filmmakers relied too much on... free publicity. They put Charlie Sheen, Mel Gibson and Lady Gaga in the same movie. The lesson to be learned is this: Publicity won't guarantee you an audience. If it did, Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian would both be A List movie stars...  

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>