Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUM DISCUSSIONS of Specific 2014 Titles > NEED FOR SPEED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of NEED FOR SPEED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of NEED FOR SPEED
    Posted: March 11 2014 at 5:34am

YE OLDE HEAD RAZZ-BERRY's TAKE on NEED FOR SPEED: BASED on a VIDEO GAME WIKIPEDIA CALLS "THE MOST POPULAR CAR RACING VIDEO TITLER in the WORLD," THIS ONE LOOKS LIKE the ULTIMATE "9-YEAR-OLD BOY MOVIE" -- SOMETHING DESIGNED to APPEAL to the SOPHISTICATED TASTES of 9-YEAR-OLD BOYS...and SOPHISTICATED ENOUGH in ITS PLOT and CHARACTERS to HAVE PERHAPS BEEN CREATED by a 9-YEAR-OLD BOY. 

MUCH IS BEING MADE in PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS for THIS FILM ABOUT ALL the CAR STUNTS BEING "REAL" -- THAT NO "C.G.I. GIMMICKS" WERE USED to CREATE the CRASHES, DAREDEVIL STUNTS and CETERA THAT LITTER the FILM LIKE SO MAY BALD PATCHES on a WELL-WORN TIRE. THAT MAY EXPLAIN the CLAIM THAT the FILM's BUDGET, DESPITE HAVING NO MAJOR NAME STAR ATOP ITS CAST, WAS OVER $65 MILLION. 

GIVEN the SUCCESSS of the FAST & FURIOUS FRANCHISE, THIS STANDS at LEAST a 50/50 CHANCE of MAKING BACK ITS BUDGET. BUT IT's GOTTEN OFF to a ROUGH STARTS with CRITICS at ROTTEN TOMATOES (FORUM LINK) and LOOKS LIKELIER to TAKE a VICTORY LAP at OUR 2015 CEREMONIES THAN to BE AMONG the YEAR's BIGGEST GROSSERS...

....and NOW...
GENTLEMEN (and LADIES) START YER (GRIPE) ENGINES! 

(NOTE:  WE'RE ALSO DISCUSSING TYLER PERRY's LATEST, WHICH OPENS THIS FRIDAY AZ WELL...LINK)

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 6:01am
Ah, good to have you back Headrazz.

Anyways, since it is now obvious that Aaron Paul could be a contender for Worst Actor, I have a suggestion.

If the new Godzilla movie sucks, can we strongly consider Bryan Cranston for Worst Supporting Actor, so that we may have a Breaking Bad Razzie reunion?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 6:53am
From what I heard about this film, it looks as if it's getting okay reviews. Then again, RT Score is 33%. I don't know, this film just looks like a Fast and Furious Rip off in some way.

Supposedly, there is no CGI in this film at all. Which is kind of cool, but I don't think it can save this film if it has one note characters and a bad script.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 9:59am
It'll be a reunion if they both show up at the Razzies ceremony.
LOL
Anyway, the cast also includes Imogen Poots (THAT AWKWARD MOMENT) and Dominic Cooper(CAPTAIN AMERICA PART 2). There's also Michael Keaton (some of you thought he deserved consideration for ROBOCOP), and, 50 SHADESDakota Johnson.

Scott Waugh also directed ACT OF VALOR, another video-game disguised as a movie. One of the script writers is Oscar nominee FLIGHT's John Gatins.
Originally posted by oiram

Anyways, since it is now obvious that Aaron Paul could be a contender for Worst Actor, I have a suggestion.

If the new Godzilla movie sucks, can we strongly consider Bryan Cranston for Worst Supporting Actor, so that we may have a Breaking Bad Razzie reunion?

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 11:50am
It's a video game adaptation, so as long as it's below 40% Rotten T approval rating and Metacritic review average by the end of the week, which may happen, because it's now losing 3 to 6 on the Tomatometer, that's good enough for me.

Robocop [remake] may have gotten a C from critics, and I don't know what kind of reviews Captain America: The Winter Soldier is bound to get. But considering how even the dreaded Stephanie Meyer herself thought 50 Shades of Grey was too graphic, Dakota Johnson may have this race to tide us over for our big feast of RAZZberry pie next winter!

Alas, this film and That Awkward Moment for Imogen Poots would be a good Worst Supporting Actor nomination!
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Jly 25; Ratner's Hercules, Besson's Lucy. Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 12:20pm
Do you have something personal against video-game adaptations?
Originally posted by GTAHater767

It's a video game adaptation, so as long as it's below 40% Rotten T approval rating and Metacritic review average by the end of the week, which may happen, because it's now losing 3 to 6 on the Tomatometer, that's good enough for me.
*Actress.

Alas, this film and That Awkward Moment for Imogen Poots would be a good Worst Supporting Actor nomination!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 12:40pm
Though my status as such is fading by the year, I'm a gamer. My favorite series of games is the Super Smash Bros series, because it's a sampler platter of all Nintendo's major franchises in soon-to-be four platforming fighters. The only Super Smash Bros involved franchise to get a video game adaptation so far was the Mario universe, but because the Super Mario Bros. movie was made before Jnr. 1, 2000, it wasn't on any of my Bottom 40 lists. The post-Y2K trend of bad video game to film adaptations really sped up with #11 and #22 on the Bottom 40 Films of '001, Lara Croft Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. It got worse with the #22 Worst Film of '003, House of the Dead. The closest thing to a good video game adaptation was Wreck-It Ralph (Top 40 Films of '012, #20), and that wasn't tied to one franchise; a new video game within a film was conceptualized for that particular film. But in terms of strict adaptations of one video game franchise into a film, there hasn't been a single good one yet. There's the occasional good film to video game adaptation, such as 2004's SpiderMan 2, and 1997's Goldeneye 007, but not a single good one from game to film.

Blast! I should've looked up Imogen Poots first. Her given name didn't hint at her gender. Anyways, she has appeared in 3 of my past Top 40ers: V For Vendetta (Top 40 Films of '006, #37), Me & Orson Welles (Top 40 Films of '009, #30), and Jane Eyre '011 (Top 40 Films of '011, #21). Why did she sign on to both this and That Awkward Moment if she had been doing so well with critics before? 

Originally posted by Vits

Do you have something personal against video-game adaptations?

Alas, this film and That Awkward Moment for Imogen Poots would be a good Worst Supporting Actor nomination!
*Actress.
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Jly 25; Ratner's Hercules, Besson's Lucy. Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 1:23pm
Have you heard of a boy named "Imogen?"

Blast! I should've looked up Imogen Poots first. Her given name didn't hint at her gender.

Also worth mentioning is the acting debut of Kid Cudi, who in the advertisements is going by his real name Scott Mescudi. I don't know why. This isn't meant to be an avant-garde masterpiece.

And the other writer is George Gatins, who may or may not be the brother of John. He was a producer before, so this is his first writing gig.

One more thing, Dominic is also going to be in a new Dracula movie called Dracula Untold, where he's playing the Van Helsing character. Man Dominic. I enjoyed you in Captain America. I heard great things about you in The Devil's Double. Why are you in a bunch of these lesser movies?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 1:47pm
There's also local Australian actor Harrison Gilbertson, who starred alongside Geena Davis in Accidents Happen, but considering so little of the marketing has shown him in the film, could he possibly be considered for Worst Supporting Actor? (I would really like to start seeing more Aussie actors get considered for nominations.)

Anyways, also starring in the Need for Craig Sullivan movie is Ramon Rodriguez from 2009 Worst Picture "winner" Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and that terrible Charlie's Angels TV re-boot as well as Rami Malek from 2012 Worst Picture "winner" The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 so we've got some juicy contenders for Worst Supporting Actor, eh?

BTW guys, do you still want to see my take on the film if you're interested? 

Also worth mentioning is the acting debut of Kid Cudi, who in the advertisements is going by his real name Scott Mescudi. I don't know why. This isn't meant to be an avant-garde masterpiece.

And the other writer is George Gatins, who may or may not be the brother of John. He was a producer before, so this is his first writing gig.

One more thing, Dominic is also going to be in a new Dracula movie called Dracula Untold, where he's playing the Van Helsing character. Man Dominic. I enjoyed you in Captain America. I heard great things about you in The Devil's Double. Why are you in a bunch of these lesser movies?
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 1:49pm
Worst Supporting Actor is usually a crowded category during the nominating process (at least I heard it's so).
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 1:50pm
Sure, go ahead.

Originally posted by jesse685

jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 1:55pm

Sure, go ahead.

Alright, I just need to finish it up and then I'll post it. I want to make sure that it is littered with references to the game's recent troubles and disasters and the now-horrible company that spawned the series, meaning most of you probably wouldn't get the jokes I make.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 2:06pm
To oiram: No, but I've never heard of a girl named "Imogen" either.

To moviecritic1994: Then if Need For Speed gets only a single nomination for Worst Supporting actor, the nomination would ideally be the one that covers the most other RAZZIE contenders.

To jesse685: I have a meager knowledge of the video game industry, and I remember how EA was voted Worst Company in America two years in a row. My take on that title is more of a "Yes and No" opinion. EA is the worst entertainment company in America, but the FOUR worst companies in the whole United States would be Koch Industries, Monsanto, the biggest oil corporation or conglomerate in America, and whichever bank on Wall Street is the dirtiest. But I digress. I, for one, will understand SOME of the jokes. Having never owned a PlayStation 2 or XBOX, nor any major PC ("Personal Computer", not "politically correct") games in more than a decade, I would know too little about the Need For Speed series in particular to make a write-up. I'm glad you did what I usually do for this forum.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 4:56pm
I couldn't get enough of playing MELEE when I was younger. Too bad I don't know anyone who has any of the games of the franchise.

My favorite series of games is the Super Smash Bros series
Non-famous actors can't be picky with roles. Besides, she played supporting characters in her previous movies.

Why did she sign on to both this and That Awkward Moment if she had been doing so well with critics before?
A lot of non-actors with stage names use their real names when they start working in movies (like Chris Bridges, Curtis Jackson and (not at first) Dwayne Johnson).

He's more famous than Imogen, but still not a star big enough to be picky.

Man Dominic. I enjoyed you in Captain America. I heard great things about you in The Devil's Double. Why are you in a bunch of these lesser movies?
If you've written most of it by now, sure. Why waste it?

Luckily, we'll be online when reading them, so we can research about them.

most of you probably wouldn't get the jokes I make.
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 12:53am
The JESS-MEISTER's TAKE on NEED FOR CRITERION GAMES... I MEAN SPEED:

OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS, THE ONCE-GOOD FRANCHISE WE CALL NEED FOR SPEED HAS BEEN GOING DOWN A RAPIDLY DARK DECLINE, BOTH QUALITY-WISE AND WITH THE FAN-BASE. EVERYONE LOVED PAST GAMES SUCH AS UNDERGROUND, MOST WANTED AND CARBON BUT THE FEATURES THAT MADE THEM SO GREAT HAD BEEN TAKEN AWAY BY ONE MAN AND THE STUDIO HE WORKED AT: CRAIG SULLIVAN AND... CRITERION GAMES. THEIR FIRST NEED FOR SPEED GAME, A RE-IMAGINING OF HOT PURSUIT WAS ALRIGHT BUT WHEN THE TIME THEIR NEXT GAME CAME OUT, THEIR TAKE ON MOST WANTED DREW MASSIVE CRITICISM FROM THE HARD-CORE NEED FOR SPEED FANS, BRINGING SUCH FEATURES AS SHORT CAREER PROGRESSION, NO CUSTOMISATION AND SHOVING IN DRIFTING FOR 2 YEAR-OLDS, OVER-LONG CRASHING CUT-SCENES AND UN-REALISTIC JUMPS.

WITH A NEW STUDIO AT THE READY, NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS LOOKED LIKE IT COULD'VE WON BACK SOME OF THE FANS BUT INSTEAD, WE GOT A SORRY-A** EXCUSE FOR CUSTOMISATION, THE SAME SH*T FROM MOST WANTED MENTIONED BEFORE AND A GAME SO BUGGY WHICH WAS CLEARLY NOT PLAY-TESTED ENOUGH TO MAKE SURE IT WAS MOSTLY FREE OF GAME-BREAKING BUGS, IT WAS RUSHED OUT ON TO THE MARKET TO TRY AND ATTEMPT TO MAKE QUICK BUCKS IN THE HOLIDAY SEASON BY NONE OTHER THAN TWO-TIME WORST COMPANY IN AMERICA "WINNER" ELECTRONIC ARTS (WORSER KNOWN AS EA!). SOME CONSIDERABLE TIME LATER AFTER THE GAME'S INITIAL RELEASE, THEY DIDN'T REALISE THAT THEIR GAME FLOPPED AND IN AN ATTEMPT TO TRY TO SQUEZZE MORE MONEY OUT OF US (BECAUSE THEY JUST LOVE WIPING MONEY ALL OVER THEIR F*CKING GREEDY A***S!), THEY SCAM US AND OVER-CHARGE FOR 2 CARS EACH WITHOUT ACTUALLY ADDING NEW CONTENT FOR US TO COMPLETE.

AND NOW, BECAUSE EA JUST CAN'T GET GREEDY ENOUGH, THEY ARE NOW TRYING TO ENTER THE WORLD OF GAME-BASED FILMS. YEAH, BECAUSE EVERY ONE OF THOSE HAVE SUCCEEDED BEFORE, RIGHT? ANYWAYS, DIRECTOR SCOTT WAUGH (WHO PREVIOUSLY DIRECTED ACT OF VALOUR, WHICH LOOKED LIKE EVERY SINGLE GENERIC MILITARY SHOOTER GAME OUT THERE) CLAIMS THAT THIS ADAPTATION OF NEED FOR SPEED IS "ACCURATE" AND "AUTHENTIC" TO REAL CAR RACING CULTURE (YEAH, BECAUSE "REAL" STREET RACERS RACE IN BUGATTI VEYRONs AND KOENIGSEGG AGERA Rs, RIGHT?). TO ADD TO THAT, YOU HAVE SH*TTY $300K CAR "REPLICAS" THAT LOOK NOTHING LIKE THE CARS THEY'RE BASED OFF, A BLAND ONE-DIMENSIONAL CAST OF ACTORS (EXCEPT FOR THE TALENTED AARON PAUL) AND A DULL, CHEESY SCRIPT WRITTEN BY AN OSCAR NOMINEE OUT OF ALL PEOPLE!!!

I WISH I COULD EXPLAIN MORE WITH YOU, BUT I MUST STOP NOW AS I'M IN... HOT PURSUIT RIGHT NOW SO, DO YOU THINK NEED FOR SPEED WILL CROSS THE LINE AND HELP EA BECOME THE MOST WANTED RAZZIE WINNER OF 2014? WILL THEY OVER-REV THE FILM TO THE POINT OF WHERE IT WILL "BLOW" THE FRANCHISE'S ENGINE? WELL, GET EVERYONE DRIFTING AND BEGIN YOUR RIVALRY WITH THE FILM NOW!!!

FIRST, I'M GONNA TAKE AWAY ANY CHANCE OF THE SCRIPT AND ACTING BEING DECENT, THEN I'M GONNA ADD SOME DRIFTING, CRASHING AND JUMPS. GET READY FOR THAT!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 5:12pm
RT consensus: "With stock characters and a preposterous plot, this noisily diverting video game adaptation fulfills a Need for Speed and little else". (25%)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>