Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Basics > Announcing the RAZZIE® Redeemer Award
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of REDEEMER AWARD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of REDEEMER AWARD
    Posted: August 28 2013 at 6:51am
UPDATE: THE RAZZIE® REDEEMER AWARD WILL NOW MAKE ITs DEBUT at OUR GALA 35th ANNUAL CEREMONIES in 2015...

ALTHOUGH OUR NEW RAZZIE
® REDEEMER CATEGORY WILL BE a "GOVERNOR's AWARD," MEANING the WINNER WILL BE DETERMINED by RAZZIE FOUNDATION OFFICERS, WE'D LOVE to HEAR YOUR FEEDBACK and SUGGESTIONS as to WHO DESERVES to WIN the FIRST EVER ENCOURAGING RAZZIE STATUETTE.

HERE ARE the BASICS: TO BE ELIGIBLE for the RAZZIE REDEEMER, a PERSON MUST HAVE PREVIOUSLY BEEN a RAZZIE NOMINEE and/or "WINNER," and HAVE SINCE GONE ON to DO EXEMPLARY WORK (and/or ACHIEVE STERLING SUCCESS). BY OUR COUNT, THERE ARE MORE THAN 30 PAST RAZZIE CONTENDERS WHO QUALIFY, BUT WE'D BE INTERESTED to HEAR YOUR IDEAS.

FOR FURTHER INFO, HERE's the VIDEO ANNOUNCING THIS NEW AWARD. 

CHECK OUT THIS LINK & POST a COMMENT on the RAZZIE CHANNEL...

...and HERE's OUR PRESS RELEASE on IT.  

NOW, THINK IT OVER... 

THINK POSITIVE...

THEN TELL US WHATCHA THINK! 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
krisstewart View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote krisstewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 6:58am
So does this mean that when Kristen Stewart finally wins the long overdue Oscar we all know she deserves, she'll be eligible for this "new" award as an apology for the Razzies having unfairly given her their dumb award?? 
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 7:07am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The RAZZIE® Redeemer Award is not intended as an apology -- We stand by the decisions our Voting Members have made over three decades in picking each year's Berry Worst Achievements in Film. 

Rather, the Redeemer is intended to acknowledge that "winning" a RAZZIE is often not the end of the story...nor the end of a film-maker's career. When Ben Affleck stood on the stage at the 2013 Academy Awards accepting Best Picture for ARGO and spoke of his arduous journey back from the disrespect he experienced a decade ago, it inspired us to come up with this special award. By our count, there are more than 30 artists who've been either nominees or "winners" in the RAZZIES over the years who've since gone on to win other awards, make better product and/or "learn their lesson" from earning our attention.

BTW: If I were Kristen Stewart, (which I am eternally grateful I am not!) I wouldn't start preparing that Oscar acceptance speech just yet... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 7:15am
I think out of those names mentioned, only Ben Affleck seems to be a winner to me.  

PS: I hope putting this together does not distract from a new Worst Movie of the Week forum.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 9:58am
Oh!

You forgot another potential nominee: Sofia Coppola!

And I am obviously not a fan of Twilight, but I think that Robert Pattinson is working his way up to be a potential nominee as well.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 10:15am
Just to clarify: If someone wins this award and then does something Razzie-worthy, will you "take away" the Razzie from them? For example: Ben Affleck. He could be bad in the MAN OF STEEL sequel.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 10:27am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The RAZZIE® Redeemer Award in no way affects either someone's past "wins" and nominations nor their future eligibility to be a contender. For example, Ben Affleck having gone from GIGLI to ARGO is a perfect choice for a Redeemer, but he would still be listed in our history for the historically awful "achievement" GIGLI -- and if he does do more dreck in the future, he can still be listed on the RAZZIE® Nominating Ballot as well... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Kenjifujima View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kenjifujima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 1:34pm
Just saw online in the last few days that Affleck is going to do a Batman movie for release in 2015...maybe we ought to wait 'till we see how that comes out before giving him an award that says he's im[proved his taste in projects??  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: As of right now, Affleck is probably the person most deserving of this award (not to mention his journey from GIGLI to ARGO partially inspired the award in the first place -- LINK). 

I don't see the point of waiting 2 years to see if one of his up-coming projects does or doesn't stink to offer him a Redeemer. Right now, I'd say Affleck is about as "redeemed" as can anyone in RAZZIE® history...

davecampbell View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote davecampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 1:39pm
I think this is a cool idea, and an interesting way of making the point that "winning" a Razzie doesn't mean someone's career is over -- and by pointing out talents who've earned our attention in the past a and "learned their lesson," this might also encourage more celebrities to do what Cosby, Bullock, Paul Verhoeven and Halle Berry did...just have fun with their Razzie award, then get on with their lives!
BlackRose View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 1:43pm
It's about time we did something other than just give out awards to movies that suck -- I think this idea gives the Razzies a whole new dimension...  Clap 

I enjoy a good movie, but if it's the right one, I LOVE a BAD MOVIE!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 2:42pm
I'd say Affleck is the best choice. He's one of the people who's career got a complete flip-over. With Ellen DeGeneres, I think we should wait until next year. You know, after the Oscar ceremony and FINDING DORY. And with Madonna, we should wait until she releases a great album again. The problem with Forest Whitaker is that his career has been hit-or-miss. Even if he gets an Oscar nomination for THE BUTLER, it won't convince me (and I don't think I'm alone in that) that he won't make any more bad movies. Michael Douglas and Alan Menken's nominations were just one step-back between great careers.

Here are some other posibilities: Andrew Dice Clay (BLUE JASMINE); Kevin Costner (HATFIELDS & MCCOYS and MAN OF STEEL); Robert Downey Jr. (most of his movies since 2004); Jane Fonda (THE BUTLER and THE NEWSROOM); Brian Helgeland (most of his movies since THE POSTMAN, including 42); Ashton Kutcher (JOBS); Ray Liotta (KILLING THEM SOFTLY and THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES); Matthew McConaughey (all of his movies since 2011); James Wan (INSIDIOUS and THE CONJURING).

Unless the winner must be a former Razzie nominee?
Originally posted by oiram

You forgot another potential nominee: Sofia Coppola!

Could we wait until her next movie? The thing is that, despite not being Razzie worthy, a lot of people didn't like THE BLING RING and MARIE ANTOINETTE. And even the people who liked SOMEWHERE noticed that she recycled a lot from LOST IN TRANSLATION. She definately made the right move by staying behind the cameras, but we have yet to see if she didn't just get lucky. Keep in mind that THE SUICIDE VIRGINS was an adaptation, and, she co-wrote her dad's awful segment in NEW YORK STORIES.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 3:02pm
I highly doubt Kristen Stewart will ever get this award, because...well, she's such a bad actress. 

Sorry to break it to Twi-Hard invader Krisstewart, but she/they need to come back to reality! 
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 3:48pm
So far the best contender for this new award category is Ben Affleck. Going from Gigli to Argo is quite an achievement. In addition Argo reminds us what Ben Affleck can do behind the camera. I say remind because he won, along with Matt Damon, the Oscar for Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen for Good Will Hunting. 

Another serious contender is George Clooney. After the embarrassingly bad Batman & Robin he has been mostly involved in better movies. Okay, so he did star in the annoying Spy Kids 3D but then there is The Descendants, Fantastic Mr Fox, Up in the Air and Burn After Reading.

Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 3:51pm
As for Kristen Stewart, I seriously doubt she can redeem herself if she continues acting. Perhaps she should try working behind the scenes instead, like Sofia Coppola?  
Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 4:00pm

Oh, you're right! Although, his comeback is not as recent as Affleck's.

Originally posted by Dun-Ida

Another serious contender is George Clooney. After the embarrassingly bad Batman & Robin, he has been mostly involved in better movies. Okay, so he did star in the annoying Spy Kids 3D , but then there is The Descendants, Fantastic Mr Fox, Up in the Air and Burn After Reading.

Wait a minute. Some of those people you mentioned, Vits, were not nominated for Razzies. Yes, they may have been involved in quite a few, but I thought it was about people that were nominated for and/or are winners of Razzies?

travis112096 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote travis112096 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 7:48pm
affleck is a great choice, and for a future category how about a razzie fall from grace award where a good actor makes a really bad movie   
(examples like will smith or johnny depp)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>