Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > R.I.P.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of R.I.P.D.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of R.I.P.D.
    Posted: July 21 2013 at 11:14am

IT's JULY, IT's UNBEARABLY HOT -- and THIS MOVIE LOOKS INCREDIBLY BORING and IRRELEVANT (AS WELL AS BEING a MAJOR B.O. BOMB)...

SO WE'RE GONNA TAKE a SUMMER BREAK, and LET OUR FORUM MEMBERS TAKE the REINS on THIS ONE. 

FOR YOUR R.I.P.D. B.M.P.U. (*) HERE's the LINK to the FORUM INFO PAGE for THIS MOVIE...

...and HERE's the LINK to the FOTO FUNNY for IT... 

NOW, SET YOUR GUNS on "STUN the DEAD" and...

...HAVE at IT! 

(*) BAD MOTION PICTURE UP-CHUCK-IFICATION...

* P.S. Thanks to Oiram for Providing the YouTube/Trailer LINK Above... 
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 12:22pm
Not Jeff Bridges! He's one of the best actors working today! He starting acting as an infant for Pete's sake!
Worst Career Achievement: Kim Jong-Un
THIS MUST HAPPEN!!!

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 1:26pm
Jeff Bridges used to have so much more going for him. Here is my selection of his works from the 20th century.

The Last Picture Show (Retro Best Movies of 1971)
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (Retro Best Movies of 1974)
Cutter's Way (Retro Top 40 Movies of 1981)
TRON (Retro Top 40 Movies of 1982)
Against All Odds (Retro Top 40 Movies of 1984)
Starman (Retro Top 40 Movies of 1984)
Jagged Edge (Retro Top 40 Movies of 1985)
Tucker: The Man and His Dream (Retro Top 40 Movies of 1988)
The Fabulous Baker Boys (Retro Top 40 Movies of 1989)
The Fisher King (Retro Top 40 Movies of 1991)
Fearless (Retro Top 40 Movies of 1993)
The Big LeBowski (Retro Top 40 Movies of 1998)

...and here is my selection of his work from the New Millennium:
The Contender was #10 on the Top 40 Films of 2000.
Seabiscuit was #4 on the Top 40 Films of 2003.
Iron Man was #3 on the Top 40 Films of 2008.
Crazy Heart was #13 on the Top 40 Films of 2009.
True Grit [remake] was #4 on the Top 40 Films of 2010.

Now he's finally appeared in his second bad film, and his first eventual Annual Bottom 40er of the New Millennium. All I can do is hope this is merely an isolated incident rather than a sign of things to come from him.

By the way, did any of you draw parallels between this and Jonah Hex (Bottom 40 Films of 2010, #6) which also crossed cowboys with the undead?
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 1:31pm
Second bad film? What was the first one?

Don't forget Men in Black.
THIS MUST HAPPEN!!!

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 1:48pm
R.T. (10%): "The film has its moments, most of them courtesy of Jeff Bridges' rootin' tootin' performance as an undead Wild West sheriff, but it's ultimately too dim-witted and formulaic to satisfy".
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 2:00pm
Neither of the sources I looked to listed Jeff Bridges as playing any role in the cast of Men in Black. (By the way, Men in Black 1 was on the Retro Top 40 Movies of 1997).  

But the first bad film Bridges appeared in was Heaven's Gate, which I think should've beaten Mommie Dearest for Worst Picture of 1981. 

And the second lead actor in R.I.P.D. (the vastly inferior Ryan Reynolds) now has 5 films that are, or will eventually be, on my annual Bottom 40 lists.  

National Lampoon's Van Wilder was #33 on the Bottom 40 Films of 2002.
The In-Laws [remake] was #32 on the Bottom 40 Films of 2003.
The Amityville Horror [remake] was #30 on the Bottom 40 Films of 2005.
Green Lantern was #37 on the Bottom 40 Films of 2011.
and now this film is headed straight for the Bottom 40 Films of 2013 next winter.

Originally posted by oiram

Don't forget Men in Black.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 2:03pm
What I meant to say was that R.I.P.D. took a lot of "bare-bones" cues from Men in Black, in response to your suggesting that it had a Jonah Hex vibe to it.
THIS MUST HAPPEN!!!

Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 3:59am
I just watched this today. It's worth nominating for: 

Worst Picture: This is so disappointing. It actually had potential to be a decent action comedy. 

Worst Supporting Actress: Marisa Miller should have realized flaunting one's hotness does not constitute acting. 

Worst Director: Robert Schwentke. The action scenes dragged on a bit too long at times. This made the movie boring at times. 

Worst Screenplay: Phil Hay & Matt Manfredi. There was some humor but not enough to make it an action comedy. 

Worst Screen Couple: Jeff Bridges & Mary-Louise Parker. 

Spoiler Alert! 

The ending was just torture to watch...  

Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 8:25pm
Time to review one of the biggest bombs of the year. RIPD has an interesting premise, but it does absolutely nothing interesting with it.

I will say that Jeff Bridges did the best that he could with the role. Sure, it's just a repeat of Rooster Cogburn, but it's still better than most of the actors in this dud. Kevin Bacon is also good as the villain of the film. He's become a good villain actor lately. (i.e. X-Men: First Class).

As good as Bridges is, he has no chemistry with Ryan Reynolds. There's more chemistry between Bridges and his hat than him and Reynolds. One thing about the film that could have been interesting was the avatars. It would have been funny if the whole film was shown with them instead of Bridges and Reynolds. It could have been like Dwayne Johnson and Samuel L. Jackson in The Other Guys: get two people known for action movies and replace them with people not known for action movies a half-hour in. It could have been an interesting sight to watch James Hong battle demons. But no, they just use Bridges and Reynolds though 93% of the film.

The special effects in this film are awful. Not as awful as After Earth's special effects but still awful. They look a lot worse than a film that cost $130 million should. Mary-Louise Parker is bland. She wears the same facial expression through the whole film. She looks bored throughout the film. Almost as bored as I was watching this film. The action scenes are dull as Hell too. I'd say that Robert Schwentke can't direct action, but he directed Red which was a decent action movie. But the worst thing in the movie is Ryan Reynolds. Seriously, why does this guy keep getting roles? His only good performance was in Adventureland and Kristen Stewart out-acted him there. He's not a believable action hero and he's not funny in the least.

One interesting fact: this was based on a comic book. So my Ryan Reynolds theory is proven true again. Ryan Reynolds + comic book movie = sweet baby Jesus, my eyes!!!!!!

My grade: D+

Next-up: The Hangover Part III!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 7:20am
Are you saying Bacon wasn't good at playing villains before? Hasn't he played more villains than heroes throughout his career (not counting THE WOODSMAN)?
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Kevin Bacon is also good as the villain of the film. He's become a good villain actor lately. (i.e. X-Men: First Class).

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/movie-jail-this-weeks-defendant-ismilla-jovovich (press CTRL+F and type his name).
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

the worst thing in the movie is Ryan Reynolds. Seriously, why does this guy keep getting roles?

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 9:36am
He's played villains before, but, for the most part, the villains he played (like in Hollow Man and Trapped) haven't been very good. There's probably a couple of great villain roles of his that I'm forgetting.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 10:43am
I used to think that if a movie's trailer was shown in a theatre and/or there were posters advertising it, then it would definitely be released here. Last year I found out that showing trailers isn't a sure thing. Too bad, because there were many movies where I saw the trailer, got excited, and then found out they went straight-to-DVD. 

Why am I mentioning this? Because a while ago, I saw posters for R.I.P.D. and assumed it would get a theatrical release here. But the posters disappeared after a short time, and they never did show any trailers. That doesn't mean the movie will never get a theatrical release here, but it seems unlikely. Maybe the Chilean distributor changed their mind after it bombed in the U.S.?? 

Post Reply Post Reply