Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUM DISCUSSIONS of Specific 2014 Titles > TRANSCENDENCE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of TRANSCENDENCE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of TRANSCENDENCE
    Posted: April 17 2014 at 1:05pm

EVERY ONCE in a WHILE, a HIGH PROFILE TURKEY SNEAKS UP ON US, and WE DON'T RECOGNIZE IT AS a RAZZIE® CONTENDER UNTIL REVIEWS START POSTING at ROTTEN TOMATOES...  

THE BEST EXAMPLE of THIS PHENOMENON in 2014 (SO FAR) is TRANSCENDENCE, a WOULD-BE SCI-FI "THRILLER" THAT SEEMS to BE THRILLING ALMOST NO ONE (LEAST OF ALL the FOLKS WHO FINANCED IT!). 

STARRING 2013 WORST ACTOR RUNNER-UP JOHNNY DEPP (TONTO of LONE RANGER SHAME) TRANSCENDENCE TAKES an INTERESTING PREMISE and RUNS WITH IT. 

UNFORTUNATELY, WHERE IT RUNS IS...NOWHERE! 

CO-STARRING FELLOW FORMERLY  REPUTABLE ACTOR MORGAN FREEMAN, TRANSCENDENCE COULD BE ONE of the YEAR's BIGGEST BOX OFFICE BUSTS, 
and ALREADY RANKS AMONG the YEAR's WORST-REVIEWED MAJOR MOVIES (LINK). 

SO, DON'T HESITATE to "DEPP" YOUR TOES in the WATER and JOIN US in WELCOMING an UNEXPECTED GIFT from the RAZZIE® GODS of HOLLYWOOD...
TRANSCENDENCE

FOR the MORBIDLY CURIOUS, HERE's the LINK to OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on the FILM (with LINKS to IMDb, B.O. MoJo, ROTTEN TOMATOES and CETERA)...

...and FOR THOSE in the MOOD for a LAUGH, HERE's the LINK to CHECK OUT OUR FOTO FUNNY on the FILM. 

AZ ALWAZE...
ENJOY!

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 1:30pm
And here's my take, written before the motion to make an "Official Frum" for Transcendence took effect...  

JOHNNY DEPP, IN AN EVENT THAT FANS OF THE POPULAR ACTOR DREADED COULD EVER HAPPEN, FINALLY FELL UPON HARD TIMES AT THE BOX OFFICE AND WITH FILM CRITICS LAST SUMMER WHEN HE SOLD HIMSELF OUT IN A REMAKE OF A 1981 WORST PICTURE RUNNER-UP THAT GOT A D FROM CRITICS, BLEW UP AT THE BOX OFFICE IN A MASSIVE BLAST THAT MADE JOHN CARTER LOOK LIKE A FIRECRACKER, AND ULTIMATELY ENDED UP AS ANOTHER WORST PICTURE RUNNER-UP. THAT FILM WAS GORE VERBINSKI’S ADAPTATION OF THE LONE RANGER.

SHIFTING HIS FOCUS FROM OLD-FASHIONED COWBOYS AND LOCOMOTIVES TO ARTIFICIAL SUPER-INTELLIGENCE, TRANSCENDENCE STARS DEPP AS AN AI RESEARCHER ON A QUEST TO DESIGN A SENTIENT INFORMATION REPOSITORY… BUT WHEN HE GETS SHOT WITH A NUCLEAR-TOXIC BULLET, HIS DYING WISH IS FOR HIS CONSCIENCE TO BECOME ONE WITH HIS BRAINCHILD. THINGS GET THEIR DARKEST WHEN DR. CASTER DEVELOPS A THIRST FOR POWER AND TURNS INTO AN UNSTOPPABLE KILLING MACHINE… LITERALLY!

WHILE CRITICS DIDN’T THINK THE PHILOSOPHICAL VIEWPOINTS THAT TRANSCENDENCE EXPLORED WERE ALL THAT WELL-DEVELOPED, THE BIGGEST STICKING POINT WAS ITS ILLOGICAL, GO-NOWHERE PLOT. MOST PEOPLE WHO ATTENDED THE SCREENING WERE BORED OUT OF THEIR MINDS! BUT THE WORST PART? THE MOST TRUSTWORTHY DIRECTOR IN HOLLYWOOD, CHRISTOPHER NOLAN OF INCEPTION AND DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY FAME, WAS AMONG THE MULTIPLE EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS! HE’S BETTER THAN THIS, AND I’M REALLY ANXIOUS AS TO WHETHER THIS MAY BE A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME FROM HIM!

BUT DON’T LET ME SPILL MY CONCERNS AND CRITICISMS ALONE! TRANSCEND THE BOUNDARIES OF POLITENESS AND PEACE OF MIND, AND TRASH TRANSCENDENCE BELOW!!!

…BUT TOMORROW, HE BECOMES ONE OF PLANETARY-CLASS FRINGE SCIENTISTS’ TOP TEN BIGGEST THREATS TO THE HUMAN RACE! SUPERINTELLIGENCE IS RIGHT UP THERE WITH ASTEROIDS, CLIMATE CHANGE, PANDEMIC PLAGUES, GAMMA RAY BURSTS, AND SUPERVOLCANOES AS A LIKELY EXTINCTION LEVEL EVENT!
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 1:37pm
You think Morgan Freeman... dare I say it... might actually become a Razzie nominee?

Keep in mind that he also is going to be in Dolphin Tale 2 (Was there REALLY a need for a sequel?) and Lucy (Luc Besson is having a bad track record at the moment, with recent examples being The Family and 3 Days to Kill).

GTAHater: What is this Chinese Sci-Fi film you are referring to?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 1:49pm
Depp actually has like 5 other movies due this year, so a 2nd consecutive Razzie nomination is very possible. Morgan Freeman has the same amount. Rebecca Hall, Paul Bettany, Cillian Murphy and Kate Mara have just one, but that doesn't mean they can't be nominated. By the way, the last time Depp and Bettany were in a film together, they both were nominated for the Vits Award for Worst Movie Actor and said film was nominated for Worst Movie. Can you guess which one that was?

This is the directorial debut of Oscar winner Wally Pfister. As I mentioned a few days ago, being a good cinematographer doesn't mean you can be a good director. There are those who do both tasks (like Steven Soderbergh), but here, Pfister only directs. This will hurt his reputation and maybe Christopher Nolan's. Not because of what GTA said (if being an executive producer of bad movies erased the good work as a director, Steven Spielberg would've been banned from Hollywood years ago). Pfister has worked in almost all of Nolan's movies but he decided to direct this rather than work in INTERSTELLAR. What if the cinematographer of that movie doesn't "get" Nolan's vision?

This is the writing debut of Jack Paglen. He only has 2 other credits. Both are in acting (one 7 years ago and another one 11 years ago).
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 1:53pm
Vits: I looked it up, but that might have been cheating, so I won't answer.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 2:17pm
I was counting on it. THE TOURIST was such a flop that nobody remembers it anymore... Except when people want to trash the Golden Globes. By the way, Depp and Bettany's nominations were also for PIRATES PART 4 and PRIEST, respectively.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 2:17pm
First, I guessed Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, before I found out Bettany wasn't in it. Was the film you're thinking of The Tourist? By the way, why wasn't The Tourist nominated or even considered for the Worst of 2010 RAZZIES?

It turns out Paglen's credits from '003 and '007 were short films.

To oiram: The Chinese film? Wikipedia had a reference to a Chinese film of the same name made in 2012, and the Chinese cinema industry (probably the same people involved in the previous version) were also involved in this Americanization...

...or so I thought, until I found out that film with the same title and involvement from the same country was an unrelated film about the "Father of Chinese Rock", named Cui Jian. The Chinese entertainment company, DMG entertainment, was instead also involved in the financing and production of Looper (Top 40 Films of '012, #8) and Iron Man 3 (Top 40 Films of '013, #34). 

Originally posted by Vits

By the way, the last time Depp and Bettany were in a film together, they both were nominated for the Vits Award for Worst Movie Actor and said film was nominated for Worst Movie. Can you guess which one that was?

This is the writing debut of Jack Paglen. He only has 2 other credits. Both are in acting (one 7 years ago and another one 11 years ago).
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 2:25pm
GTAHater: It was considered. Jolie was on the ballots for Worst Actress, but she did not make it to the top five.

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 7:22pm
Let's not forget, Morgan freeman was already in a Razzie Worst Picture nominee: The Bonfire of the Vanities!   

Seriously though, Johnny Depp's career will never be the same after The Lone Ranger. I just hope he does well in "Into The Woods," also set for release this year.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 11:04am
Personally, I don't care how "legendary" an actor is. If they deserve a Razzie nomination, they should get it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 3:18pm
Well I guess "The Oscar Curse" had to strike sometime right?
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 8:52am
Oscar Curse for who...Wally Pfister?
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 9:19am
I think MovieCritic1994 is referring to Morgan Freeman.

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 9:28am
I think this is less an example of The Oscar Curse and more a case of Freeman choosing a crappy script. 

Actually, I'm not even sure if that's right: maybe he did it as a favor to Wally, since he worked with him on the Batman films. Maybe that's why Cillian Murphy's in here, too?  
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 4:34pm
Actually guys, I was talking about Johnny Depp. Yeah, he's never won an Oscar, but he's been nominated a few times. His career is in trouble right now thanks to Dark Shadows, The Lone Ranger and now Transcendence (which is pretty sad because Johnny Depp usually is a good actor and I don't know why this is happening to his film career).   

As for Morgan Freeman, he's a talented actor no matter what film he's in. Like with Meryl Streep, I think Freeman shines even in crappy movies! 
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 5:50am
What's happening with Depp's career can be traced to his most successful role - Captain Jack Sparrow.  He weirded out Jack Sparrow, even infusing him with Keith Richards, and created a wonderfully wacky character.  He then decided he must do this every time since it succeeded once.  The only exceptions I've seen since are his James Matthew Barrie in Finding Neverland and his John Dillinger in Public Enemies, although I'm guessing he stayed normal with Secret Window and The Rum Diary, and The Tourist had a few admirers, but most wondered why it was so bad.  I've often said that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory would have been perfect if they dumped the back story on Willie Wonka and switched Gene Wilder's Willie Wonka with Johnny Depp's.  Seeing a weirded out Wonka infused with Michael Jackson was a bit too much.  He then dropped adding the rock star touch and just kept weirding out his characters, most of which shouldn't have needed to be weirded out.  The character Tonto in The Lone Ranger may have not stayed on the rail cars full of silver that fell into the river (that somehow magically became a deep lake, but that's another story. . .), but the actor Johnny Depp went over, falling into a golden lake of RAZZberries. . . . Transcendence seems to be Johnny Depp playing a normal character, albeit a normal character taken into complete weirdness.  I'm guessing, like Public Enemies, it should have been a great movie, but something went wrong with either the script, the director, or something, but unlike Public Enemies, the end result was far worse than so-so. . . .

In short (and sorry for so much blah-blah-blah), with Transcendence, we may have actually found a bonafide challenger to The Legend of Hercules for this year's RAZZIES.  And it's one of those bad movies that has the added punch of "great idea, great cast, but huge disappointment."  

Remember what happened with The Love Guru?  I will say this emphatically - 2008's RAZZIES should have been a horse race between Postal and Strange Wilderness.  The Love Guru, as bad as it mostly was, made me laugh a number of times because in a few spots it was actually funny.  But the movie was also hugely disappointing, especially after how good the trailers made it seem.  Always factor in audience disappointment when gauging bad movies.  In the case of The Love Guru, it racked up three RAZZIES out of a possible six nominations.  Postal got one out of three noms (thankfully, we finally sent Uwe Boll packing with a RAZZIE) and Strange Wilderness wasn't even nominated.

There's a lot more dreck to come, but Transcendence could be this year's The Love Guru, except worse.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>