Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUM DISCUSSIONS of Specific 2014 Titles > TRANSCENDENCE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of TRANSCENDENCE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of TRANSCENDENCE
    Posted: September 17 2014 at 10:16pm
SchumacherH8ter:

I actually really liked Johnny Depp in The Lone Ranger. He was one of my favorite parts about that movie!

I loved the vulnerability he showed in his role, which was so different from the suave, charismatic pirate captain Jack Sparrow. It reminded me that even though he's been in some bad movies lately (The Tourist, anyone?) he still is capable of giving great and interesting performances.

Then Transcendence came out and ruined everything, at least until he comes back and redeems himself again. He was so f**king bland in Transcendence it hurts, man! It really freaking hurt!!!!
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 10:26pm
And Transcendence was an infinitely worse film than the new TMNT movie on every level!!! I seriously thought that was obvious! Huh, I guess not.

Bottom Line: The new TMNT movie was a ton of fun. Transcendence was a boring piece of sh*t excuse for a movie that can rot in boring movie HELL, right up there with After Earth!

Also, I heard the screenplay for Transcendence was actually good at first, a solid action thriller, and somehow they butchered it. That's why I'm considering Transcendence for every Razzie category except Worst Screenplay!
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 10:59pm
Also Vits, I really don't see how I was making excuses for critics about not liking The Lone Ranger. My uncle and a friend of mine at school thought it was good. And you know what? It was!!!!

Sometimes when people buy into advance hype their judgment gets clouded. That's probably why James Cameron's Ferngully rip-off/unofficial remake Avatar has such a high RT score.

I will defend The Lone Ranger as a genuninely great action movie w/ a heart and a brain, no less!!!

All film, as with all art, is entirely good or bad depending on the individual person. Anyone who suggests otherwise is completely out of touch w/ the rest of the world or just has a big ego. I thought the Lone Ranger was good, and really is no right or wrong, whether or not you realize that. I liked how well made the film was on a technical level, the performances, the old-fashioned simplicity of the story, and its eccentric and quirky tone. So there, we can all have our own opinions, you hate 2001: A Space Odyssey and I loved The Lone Ranger. And if the majority appears to like or dislike a movie and you disagree, then guess what?! Its perfectly okay because ultimately its up to you whether or not you think the movie is "good" or "bad"! Pretty awesome, right?

Truth be told, I've never been a fan of mindless conformity anyway!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 9:07am
You just did it again.
Originally posted by JacobD

I really don't see how I was making excuses for critics about not liking The Lone Ranger.

Sometimes when people buy into advance hype their judgment gets clouded.
See? Right there.

My uncle and a friend of mine at school thought it was good.
Two people are not a majority. What did your other friends at school thought?

All film, as with all art, is entirely good or bad depending on the individual person.
As long as they're not critics, according to you.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 4:32pm
Majority?! Never mind the majority or statistics! We each can have our own individual opinions, thank you very much! I can't give you exact numbers, but I can give you my own personal opinion.

Hack, sometimes even I can be guilty of buying into advance hype on a movie.

For example, if you asked me walking out of the new Godzilla movie what grade I would give it, I would have said an A-, but now that its been months since its release and all the hypes died down and I've had a chance to really think about and process it completely, I'd probably give it a B-.

Even though I strongly disagree w/ Rolling Stone critic Peter Travers' opinion on the new TMNT movie (and come to think of it The Lone Ranger), I respect and see where he's coming from. If he thought it was bad, then fine so long as I can see where he, or any other critics perspective is.

Production on the Lone Ranger was halted for about a year, so that might have contributed, at least in part to the critical backlash. I also must admit that it wasn't for everyone, and the eccentric and quirky tone The Lone Ranger had may have played a role in its critical and box office failure.

None of my other friends at school saw it, it bombed remember! Sad, I think it deserved so much better than what it got. Ah, well.

The majority of critics and audiences hated John Carpenter's The Thing when it came out yet now has acquired a cult following and something of a critical reevaluation, just like I expect The Lone Ranger to receive in time. For now, we'll just have to wait and see.
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 4:33pm
I also meant to say "heck" instead of "hack". Sorry about the typo. My mistake.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 4:44pm
The idea that the production troubles on The Lone Ranger contributed to the critical scorn was shot to pieces when World War Z (which had a troubled production too) got decent reviews and great box-office.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 5:03pm
Than maybe the production problems didn't contribute that much. Great example!

That leads me to my theory the movie may have been too quirky and different for mainstream audiences, who were expecting a popcorn Pirates style movie, which it wasn't even though it was unwisely promoted as such.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 5:17pm
Do you honesly not see all the contradictions here?

We each can have our own individual opinions, thank you very much!

If he thought it was bad, then fine so long as I can see where he, or any other critics perspective is.

Production on the Lone Ranger was halted for about a year, so that might have contributed, at least in part to the critical backlash. I also must admit that it wasn't for everyone, and the eccentric and quirky tone The Lone Ranger had may have played a role in its critical and box office failure.

That leads me to my theory the movie may have been too quirky and different for mainstream audiences, who were expecting a popcorn Pirates style movie, which it wasn't even though it was unwisely promoted as such.
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 5:32pm
Individual opinions may have been influenced by outside sources (even if it may not have been production problems) or may not have been, but regardless we're all entitled to our own opinions. Like I said, some people had a problem with it being too violent in some parts. I will defend this saying its better than the watered down crap like The Hunger Games (and I loved the 2nd movie, just sayin'), but also acknowledge the studio honestly should hav e known better than to promote this as some kid-friendly action/adventure flick, which it clearly wasn't. If they had toned down the violence or made it R and gone all the way w/ it, or just flat out promoted it as the dark, eccentric, quirky, and sometimes even silly Western it really was it would have done a lot better than it did because some audiences probably didn't know what kind of movie they were seeing.

I only care if I can see where the other person is coming from. I don't think there's any contradictions about respecting someone's opinions while at the same time doing some analysis myself as to why a movie didn't work for the public at large.

BTW, it was in Quentin Tarantino's mid-year best list. He really liked it, even though he admitted it had some problems, what movie honestly doesn't?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:08am
1) How is it respectful to say that someone's opinion wasn't objective? That's basically saying that it doesn't count.
2) So? I mean, I have nothing against Tarantino; I like a lot of his movies. But your comment sounded (to me, at least) like his opinion is a perfect indicator of quality. He may be a good filmmaker but he's not a critic. Besides, a lot of his favorite movies are bad movies he considers to be guilty pleasures (and that inspired his B-movie tributes).

I don't think there's any contradictions about respecting someone's opinions while at the same time doing some analysis myself as to why a movie didn't work for the public at large.

BTW, it was in Quentin Tarantino's mid-year best list. He really liked it, even though he admitted it had some problems, what movie honestly doesn't?
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 4:38pm
I didn't think it was saying their opinion doesn't count. Sorry if it came across that way.

I just used Tarantino as an example that I'm not as alone as you may think here, I also showed you those critics reviews and told you some people I knew who liked it like I did. No one's opinion is a perfect indicator of quality since "quality" is dependent ultimately on the viewer themselves for whatever reason(s) they have.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456