Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > 2007's WORST SEQUEL, REMAKE or RIP OFF
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Fouled-Up Follow-Ups Dept.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fouled-Up Follow-Ups Dept.
    Posted: October 30 2007 at 5:16am

SEQUELS, THREE-QUELS, PRE-QUELS, REMAKES and OUT-RIGHT RIP-OFFS HAVE DOMINATED THIS YEAR's MOVIE FARE.

HERE's YOUR CHANCE to POST YOUR THOUGHTS ON WHICH of THESE GOD-FORSAKEN, STARTLINGLY UN-ORIGINAL "ENTERTAINMENTS" YOU THINK DESERVES the TITLE of THE YEAR's BERRY WORST... 

GO AHEAD...SPEW!! 

(CLOSER to the END of the YEAR, WE'LL ADD a POLL, SO YOU CAN VOTE to VENT YOUR WRATH...)

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 6:05am

From the movies pictured above and from the movies being considered, I rank from "worst" to "OK":

Daddy Day Camp
Who's Your Caddy?
Are We Done Yet?
The Hitcher (2007)
Hannibal Rising
Dead Silence (rip off of Magic)
Hostel Part II
Saw IV
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
P2 (rip off of Throttle)
Resident Evil: Extinction
Halloween (2007)
Evan Almighty
The Invasion
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Pirates of the Caribbean: At Whirlie's End (they even have a whirlie at the end of the movie!)
Spider-Man 3

Did I miss any?  Anyone have a different opinion (duh)? 

Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 6:06am

Since it qualifies as BOTH a sequel (to "Are We There Yet?") AND a remake/rip-off (of the old Cary Grant movie "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House") I'd have to vote for the execrable "Are We Done Yet?" -- a movie populated exclusively with idiots, stereotypes and excruciatingly UN-funny "gags"... 

CLOSE RUNNER-UP: "Daddy Day Camp," featuring the most horrifying convention of hideous child actors ever assembled in one film!!!   

Response from Head RAZZberry: As someone has never had much patience with grating child actors, I too found DADDY DAY CAMP to be one of the more excrutiating movies of the year. And isn't it ironic that DDC was directed by one of the few recent child actors who wasn't grating in most of his childhood performances, potential Worst Director nominee Fred Savage...

Everything SUX!
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 7:35am
I hated The Hitcher!!! Well, that's really the only one that I thought was bad...and I haven't seen every movie this year. So I'm not sure it would be the worst if I would've seen all those other movies...
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 2:53pm

Here the ten I would pick for worst sequels, prequels, remakes, etc:  

Daddy Day Camp,  

Who's Your Caddy?    
Are We Done Yet?
The Hitcher (2007)
Hannibal Rising
Dead Silence (rip off of Magic)
Hostel Part II
Saw IV
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
P2 (rip off of Throttle), Halloween (2007)

#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 12:45am

In terms of a "fouled-up follow-up," it would be hard to top "Hannibal Rising" for its come-down from the original 1991 "Silence of the Lambs." That film was not only a monster box office hit, it was also just about the only "horror movie" ever to win a Best Picture Oscar. In the "Hannibal" films since, the quality has tumbled at an alarming rate, to where this latest entry, a pointless "prequel," was little more than a pale imitation of the whole "Saw/Hostel" sub-genre of blood-n-guts "dismember-tain-ment." 

How very sad... 

Response from Head RAZZberry: Maybe we can take some solace from the fact that HANNIBAL RISING all but totally BOMBED at the box office. Here's a LINK to check out its anemic numbers at B.O. MoJo... 

jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 1:20am

Spider-Man 3 and Pirates 3: At Worlds End were parts of series, and thus shouldn't be considered traditional "sequels." They continue unresolved storylines and bring them to their conclusions.

However, we have plenty of truly unnessesary (and truly Razz-able) sequels and remakes to work with this year, which should keep us busy enough that we need not worry about the Spider-Man franchise.

Response from Head RAZZberry: I personally found the third entries in both the SPIDER-MAN and PIRATES "series" overloud, overlong and underwhelming. Guess it's up to our Voting Members to decide come nominations time whether they rise (or stoop) to the level of actually being worthy RAZZIE contenders. And, yes, there certainly IS an awful lot of other dreck to choose from this year... 

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 3:52pm

I would agree that Spiderman and Pirates were disappointing efforts. Nonetheless, a logical justification can be offered for each. Pirates was the third part of a planned trilogy (which will likely continue on beyond that) and Spiderman is a lucrative franchise. As long as the rubes keep forking over the cash, keep dangling the bait in front of them... even if you have to waterboard your audience with Kirsten Dunst's singing voice.

But Daddy Day Camp set a whole new standard for cinematic roadkill. Did ANYONE out there ask for a sequel to Daddy Daycare? Did Cuba Gooding Jr. really read that script and say to himself, "Wow, this will help my career." This one surely deserves a nod for Worst Sequel, if only as a public service: We might just prevent Gooding Jr. from jumping at making a sequel to Pluto Nash! 

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2007 at 11:09am
Well, Spiderman 3 and Pirates 3 should NOT be on there. Sure, Spiderman 3 was underwhelming (why did Venom appear so late in the film?) and Pirates 3 was incredibly confusing and really long. But there are many more crappier sequels released this year, like Daddy Day Camp

So, speaking of the worst remake or sequel this year, my list would have to be the above mentioned Daddy Day Camp, as well as Hannibal Rising, and the second Fantastic 4 movie...
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 8:36am
You evil person. FF2 was a great movie. It was harmless family fun.
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

Well, let's see why FF2 was not too good.

1. Jessica Alba's stiff acting
2. Bad science (just like with the first Fantastic Four)

That's enough to have at least a thread in this forums.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 4:53pm

Originally posted by thomsonmg2000

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Well, let's see why FF2 was not too good.

1. Jessica Alba's stiff acting
2. Bad science (just like with the first Fantastic Four)

That's enough to have at least a thread in this forums.

Don't forget:

3.  Making Galactus look like a gigantic dust bunny (I know HeadRAZZBerry said it first, but I can't think of another apt description).

Just because FF:RotSS had its moments, and just because I rate far and away more movies worse than it, doesn't mean that it wasn't, on the whole, a bad movie.

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 5:11pm

First of all, I happen to know that thomsonmg2000 is not a fundamentally evil person. He just plays one on the board now and again.

Second, FF2 was not entirely harmless. The 20 bucks it drained out of my wallet stung for 3 full days.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 7:44am

Spider-Man 3 deserves the WORST SEQUEL OR PREQUEL AWARD. It was boring, long, and uninteresting.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Not to mention it forced us to sit through likely Worst Actress contender Kirsten Dunst SINGING -- More than once!! 

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 10:44am
I found "Spider-Man 3" to be good. The running time was too long and Kirsten Dunst was horrific. Even she admitted it.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Up-next: Reefer Madness
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 1:10pm
Hostel Part II seems to be a rip off of more than just the original Hostel...but of an old Lights Out episode on radio titled It Happened (dated 380511)...

Makes you wonder if the writers were fans of the show...and if they weren't...WHY did they have to do it???
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>