Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > MEMBER-STARTED FORUMS on 2011 RELEASES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

FRIGHT NIGHT (2011 Remake)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FRIGHT NIGHT (2011 Remake)
    Posted: July 21 2011 at 7:30pm
Seriously, Hollywood! We don't need remakes or unnecessary sequels or prequels of horror franchises that died out long ago. The latest is Fright Night.

With Spy Kids 4 around the corner on August 19th, this could be Bonus Worst Movie of the Weak.

Let me know what you think about this latest rehash of this forgotten horror film.
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2011 at 8:27pm
It's pretty much "Distrubia" with a vampire and more action sequences.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2011 at 7:11pm
HeadRAZZ: I hope you give this an official forum/discussion, or I will go crazy!  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Actually, I have been hearing vaguely "good things" about this particular film. At the berry least, it's not likely to be a disrespectful remake of a "classic," since the original film was a barely-above-drive-in-level schlock-fest. Here's a LINK to see the IMDb page for the 1985 version, and an IMDb LINK for the new/2011 remake. Also, given that the new version is scheduled to open the same date as the more obvious RAZZIE® target/remake CONAN and recent RAZZIE® "winner" Jessica Alba in SPY KIDS 4 (presented in "Aroma-rama") it faces stiff competition to be a solo Worst of the Weak choice.  

"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2011 at 6:20am
I heard the same things... enough to question if this really is such a prime Razzie-contendor...

Early reviews on RT seem to prove that this movie, Conan and One Day are already being screened to critics... So I suggest to wait untill Wednesday before putting forums up...
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2011 at 10:03am
Jesse: We didn't have a problem with you making so many forums because we didn't see anything wrong in that, but now you're starting to lose your "good name" by making one for every movie that comes out... 

Also, Member Started Forums are supposed to be for movies without "official" forums. But if you start making them weeks before their release dates, HeadRAZZ won't even get a chance to make Forums for them.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2011 at 11:44am
Chances were this movie was going to get an official forum anyway, but now all that has to be done is transfer all these posts into the official forum, once it's created.

And damn it, I'm I disappointed with Colin Farrell. He was great in that movie "In Bruges". And how does he follow it up? By starring in not one, but TWO uncalled for remakes. First this, and then "Total Recall". Oh well, the guy has to pay for all of his bar tabs somehow.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2011 at 11:49am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Out of curiosity, I recently saw the original 1985 FRIGHT NIGHT for free on one of my FIOS On Demand channels. It was in some ways not as good as I remembered, and in some ways better. The special effects were dated, the acting hammy and the clothes and hair hilariously 80s. It did, though, have at least a couple of genuinely chilling/ goose-bumpy moments. And at least it qualifies under my favorite director Billy Wilders's criteria about what's wrong with most remakes: "Why do they always remake the ones that have already been done perfectly -- Shouldn't they remake the ones they could do better?!?"  
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2011 at 1:59pm
Personally, I think when it comes to ALL remakes, Hollywood should follow the example made by the anti-drug D.A.R.E. organization: JUST SAY NO!
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2011 at 5:26pm
I personally loved the old 1985 Fright Night, it was what a horror movie is all about. Scarring the crap out of an audience and having them coming back for more. I agree with Head Razz however that I doubt will be seeing this movie at the end of the year razzie round up polls. I'll wait to see it on NetFlix or DVD.
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2011 at 7:05pm
Yeah, the original Fright Night is a "Scream" type horror movie parody before there was a "Scream". That was the whole point of the movie...but it seems this new movie has forgotten that, and become just another vampire movie...  
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2011 at 10:00pm
I don't understand what you mean when you say it's a "Scream" type film. It doesn't refer to films or point out genre conventions. If anything, the remake of Fright Night is more like "Scream" than the original, since it has a sense of self-awareness akin to the Scream franchise.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2011 at 8:53pm
It used many cliches that horror or scary movies would use up until that time. It wasn't as wink-wink to the camera as "Scream" was with the whole "Hey, we just performed a cliche we just talked about!".
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2011 at 11:26pm
Well, most horror films anyway would use cliches. That's why they're called cliches in the first place. The only one cliche that I found to be obvious and annoying was the "cellphone has no signal" thing.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2011 at 3:49pm
Well, with "Fright Night", it was more of a light satire of the vampire movies of old (lots of peeking around corners and jump scares), rather than modern horror movie cliches (which is a list too long to name).
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 2:39pm
I just saw it. 

The "thrills" didn't worked well for me. And the dark humour didn't work for me at all. What did work was the drama. The best example is the scene where the neighbor suspects the lead character suspects that he is a vampire, and he "tests" him. The tension in that scene was remarkable. Kudos to the directing, writing and acting (I had forgotten that Colin Farrell was such a badass!). But this is a Horror Comedy, so the thrills and humour were more important. It could've worked better as a LET THE RIGHT ONE IN/LET ME IN type.

Another scene I have to point out is when
CHARLEY is handed the special stake that will "heal" JERRY's victims. I sighed at such as a deus ex machina with barely little explanation. About a minute after, they basically make fun of it when CHARLEY points out he can't use it without getting close. I know they didn't do that on purpose, but it was a very good scene.

For those who've called this unnecessary, it's not. These days vampires are trendy, but not the "right" vampires. This movie, which has a scene that openly mocks TWILIGHT, reminds us why they should be cool.

I give it 6/10.

I wouldn't want it to be nominated for anything.

For those interested, I edited the IMDB FAQ to have the differences between this and the original.

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply