Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS" > THE BOUNTY HUNTER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Gerard Butler, Rom/Com Killer...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Julianstark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gerard Butler, Rom/Com Killer...
    Posted: March 20 2010 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Vits

Yeah,I think there was some Oscar buzz when Jennifer did THE GOOD GIRL.But what has Gerard done that could make him considered for an Oscar?

If The Phantom of the Opera had been well received, then maybe he could have been in for that. I can't help but think that he was being buzzed about for his performance in early 2004 when the film was something of a "sight unseen" Oscar front-runner.

However, I was discussing the idea if they had been making better movies (i.e. different films that could have led to an Oscar nomination or Oscar nominations).
For Your 2010 Razzie Consideration: The Bounty Hunter and Leap Year --
Check out my blog! Movies and Other Things
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 1:44pm
I doubt that.

Diane Lane was nominated for UNFAITHFUL,which didn't receive good reviews.

MAMMA MIA! had great reviews,and it still won "Worst Supporting Actor"(Pierce Brosnan).

Despite all of those theories on snubbing,the Academy chooses the nominees for their performances,rather than the quality of the movie.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 4:32pm
As far as I can tell, Jennifer and Gernald haven't done ANYTHING Oscar worthy. "The Good Girl" was okay, but her performance wasn't mind blowingly amazing, and I think Butler did "300" because he needed to be in the manliest movie possible after having to star in a musical directed by the same man who ruined the original "Batman" movie series.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Julianstark View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Julianstark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 5:13pm
Vits - Mamma Mia!'s reviews were roughly on par with Unfaithful's reviews. It has more to do with buzz than reviews really. By the time Phantom was out, the buzz had died, and nobody really knew who Gerard Butler was anyway. With Unfaithful, Diane Lane had been around for awhile, and she apparently had the momentum to get nominated.

The Academy usually only goes for the performance if they like the movie. It sometimes works the other way around, but it usually doesn't. However, I see where you're coming from about the whole "if the Academy likes it" argument and somewhat agree

BurnHollywoodBurn - I've never seen The Good Girl, but I'm totally LOL'ing at the comment about 300... mainly because I think it might be true
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 8:08pm
In the end, we need to realize that with the Oscars, it's all about politics. There are reasons why they choose the winners they choose, and it not always about which movie or aspect of the movie was the "best", it's about what movie or aspect of the movie they found best suited to what they want to award.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2010 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by orly1971

I think Jennifer Aniston is long overdue for a Razzie nomination. 

I think she's a very underrated actress that doesn't get enough recognition for her performances.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2010 at 6:26am
Originally posted by moviewizguy

I think she's a very underrated actress that doesn't get enough recognition for her performances.

The only way she will is if she stops doing rom-coms, and stars in a drama in which she doesn't rely on her looks and she gives a very emothional performance. That's what Oscar voters like.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2010 at 1:00pm
What?When has she done that?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2010 at 3:08pm

She hasn't and that's why she hasn't won any awards yet.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2010 at 4:17pm
Actually, Jennifer Aniston starred in Friends with Money, and there was some Oscar buzz about her for that particular role, but when the final ballot came out, she didn't make it.

Still, that just proves BHB's point.  If Aniston stars in dramas, and apparently dramas with ensemble casts, she shines.

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2010 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by cvcjr13

Actually, Jennifer Aniston starred in Friends with Money, and there was some Oscar buzz about her for that particular role, but when the final ballot came out, she didn't make it.

Still, that just proves BHB's point.  If Aniston stars in dramas, and apparently dramas with ensemble casts, she shines.

Yep, she needs to jump off the sinking Titanic that is the rom-com genre.
Julianstark View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Julianstark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 9:42am

In the end, we need to realize that with the Oscars, it's all about politics. There are reasons why they choose the winners they choose, and it not always about which movie or aspect of the movie was the "best", it's about what movie or aspect of the movie they found best suited to what they want to award.

Exactly.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 11:04am

I was talkin'bout your comment.When has she ever rely on her looks?And'on't talk'bout nude scenes.

The only way she will is if she stops doing rom-coms, and stars in a drama in which she doesn't rely on her looks and she gives a very emothional performance. That's what Oscar voters like.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 4:15pm

I was talkin'bout your comment.When has she ever rely on her looks?And'on't talk'bout nude scenes.
Not so much nude scenes, it's just that the Oscars like to reward pretty actresses that make themselves ugly for a dramatic role.
moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2010 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by orly1971

I think Jennifer Aniston is long overdue for a Razzie nomination. 

I wholeheartedly agree. Aniston is average in looks, grooming, and acting ability. She talks and talks and talks. And talks. So what.
Fred Cooper
kelemenmarc View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote kelemenmarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 6:57am
Well I think Aniston and Butler finally can grab a Razzie nom. They both of deserve because of work in this and some other movie.

FOR YOUR RAZZIE CONSIDERATION:

WORST LEAD ACTRESS: Jennifer Aniston

WORST LEAD ACTOR: Gerard Butler

WORST SCREEN COUPLE: Jennifer Aniston & Gerard Butler
FYC:
Worst Movie: The Bounty Hunter
Worst Actor: Johnny Depp (Alice in Wonderland / The Tourist)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>