Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > THE ULTIMATE GIFT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Give the GIFT of Being Born Again?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Give the GIFT of Being Born Again?!?!?
    Posted: March 05 2007 at 6:12am

IT HAS NOTHING to DO with SCIENTOLOGY...SO WHY DOES ULTIMATE GIFT MAKE US THINK of THAT WACKO RELIGION, and ITS STREET CORNER "PERSONALITY TESTS"??

IT'S MEANT to BE a TREATISE on WHAT REALLY MATTERS in LIFE...YET SOMETHING ABOUT IT MAKES US FEEL LIKE WE'RE GONNA GET BRAIN-WASHED IF WE GO SEE IT. FEEL FREE to LET US KNOW BELOW IF IT GIVES YOU THE WILLIES, TOO...OR NOT...

"Oh, my God -- How did I wind up inside Disneyland's Thunder Mountain Railroad...and not even on the train??"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
tomsmo View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 9:36am
Is The Ultimate Gift movie any thing like The Left Behind films that starred Kirk Cameron from TV's Growing Pains
JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 11:15am

The way this film is being marketed looks suspiciously like a "Christian" film a so-called "friend" of mine dragged me to many years ago. When the lightrs came up after the movie, a representative from Billy Graham's organization stood up and asked "how many people here came to Christ" as a result of seeing the film -- And my "friend" turned to me with a "knowing look" on her face.

Needless to say, I did not speak to that "friend" for many years afterward...

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 4:44pm
I will see it this Friday and let you know how it is. The distributor is Fox Faith, which then again, did release THR3E.

I think they have a Jesus movie coming out soon with, of all actors...Dolph Lundgren.
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2007 at 1:12pm
As long as it's not Stephen Segal, the world's still safe. 
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2007 at 2:25pm
Some people say they actually like this film, but I only saw one commerical for  it...
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2007 at 6:02pm

The Ultimate Gift, based on what I found on the Internet, is a fictional story written by Jim Stovall who, although blind, won a gold medal in weightlifting.  The story seems more motivational than religious, more like Chicken Soup For The Soul or All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten, except in novel form. 

From the Financial Planning Association website, you'll find this:

"The premise for the TUGX/FPA alliance is the novel, The Ultimate Gift, authored by Jim Stovall, which provides readers with an enlightened view of the non-financial aspects of wealth and how their alignment with financial wealth resources lead to a more fulfilled life and a powerful legacy left to others."

Taking all that into account, it seems the big trick with this movie would be that it avoids being preachy, cheesy and pollyanna.  I'll be wanting something more like Hercules going through his various tests than a motivational speaker persuading me to improve my life ($250, please!).  Another challenge is for the movie to avoid narration, because, except for rare occasions, narration brings a movie down. 

If done right, we'll have The Pursuit of Happyness, The Karate Kid or Stand and Deliver.  If done badly, we'll remember this one for the Razzies.

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 2:44am
It's advertised as a Christian movie, but all the Christian themes will be left out---only the main plotline will remain.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 3:45pm

Sounds like a megachurch...

Originally posted by Movie Man

It's advertised as a Christian movie, but all the Christian themes will be left out---only the main plotline will remain.

tomsmo View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 11:04am

Chart courtesy of Box Office MoJo...

13 THE ULTIMATE GIFT 
The Bigger Picture 

$450,000

-- / $565
$450,000  / 1

N/A

N/A

N/A

Response from Head RAZZberry: Looks like we made the right choice as Worst of the Weak again.

$565??  That's almost down in DIRTY LOVE territory!

tomsmo View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 6:50am
 THE ULTIMATE GIFT came in at 13th place with $1,200,000 right behind The Reno 911 Miami $1,390,000 this week clear cut winner was 300 coming in at $70,000,000
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by tomsmo

Chart courtesy of Box Office MoJo...

13 THE ULTIMATE GIFT 
The Bigger Picture 

$450,000

-- / $565
$450,000  / 1

N/A

N/A

N/A

Response from Head RAZZberry: Looks like we made the right choice as Worst of the Weak again.

$565??  That's almost down in DIRTY LOVE territory!

Take a look again at that per screen average ($565 per screen at 797 screens for a total of $450,000) when compared to the other movies above it.  It out-earned 7 of the 12 movies above it per screen.  What's more, it was only available on 797 screens, as you'll see under its title; it probably would have made more on a larger distribution.

All that doesn't mean it doesn't suck, especially when you consider it was a brand new inspirational movie countering against the megahit 300.  The two movies should have drawn different audiences, and The Ultimate Gift should have done better that it did (although nowhere near as well as 300).  Compare its opening weekend numbers to Borat, which opened in 837 theatres at over $11,000 a screen.  Mind you, not even 300 has a per screen average like that, but it still helps to look at both what it did during the weekend itself and what it could have done.

In short, I still would have to see it before I shred it.

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 1:22pm

LINK to my review of the movie:

http://www.everyonesacritic.net/movie_review.asp?ratingid= 650467

LINK to Box Office Mojo #s for ULTIMATE GIFT...

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 5:09pm

I wondered if it could avoid being hokey, and it sounds like the movie was hokey at a few points, but all in all, turned out to be a, what, nice film?  Okay film?  Mediocre film?

With Sunday's per screen average way down, I thought I would have to fork out the top bucks and check it out.  After all, I said "Wait a minute" a few times.  But now I feel I can wait for either a cheap theatre showing, or a DVD release.

Originally posted by Movie Man

LINK to my review of the movie.

http://www.everyonesacritic.net/movie_review.asp?ratingid= 650467

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 3:45pm
I would give it a mild thumbs up. It was okay, but Breslin and Garner's performance were the highlights of the film.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 11:18am
Well, I heard a review and it presents so many moral stories in like a kid-friendly way which made 2 thumbs down from Roeper and that other guy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>