Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > THE HAUNTING of MOLLY HARTLEY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Go Ahead, Scare Me. No Really...Go Ahead!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Go Ahead, Scare Me. No Really...Go Ahead!
    Posted: October 27 2008 at 6:22am

HALLOWEEN WEEKEND HAS TRADITIONALLY BECOME a HOLLYWOOD DUMPING GROUND for MEDIOCRE HORROR MOVIES, and 2008 WAS NO EXCEPTION...

STARRING PRETTY BOY CHACE CRAWFORD (of CW's GOSSIP GIRL) and a CAST of OTHERWISE "UNKNOWNS," THE HAUNTING OF MOLLY HARTLEY HAD ONLY ONE TRULY SCARY THING GOING for IT: IT LOOKED AMAZINGLY LIKE a MADE-for-CABLE CHEAPIE THAT INEXPLICABLY ENDED UP in THEATRES at FIRST-RUN PRICES (NOT UNLIKE the PREVIOUS WEEKEND's BOX OFFICE CHAMP -- and FELLOW FORUM SUBJECT -- HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3).

BUT IF THIS IS YOUR IDEA of SCARY, MAYBE IT'S TIME to CHANGE the LIGHTBULB in THAT NIGHT-LIGHT YOU STILL SLEEP WITH in MOMMY's ROOM...

"Hello, 911 -- I'd like to report an exploding jar of RAZZberry jam!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 10:35am

Well, this is the recent trend with horror movies: Get an unknown cast of young actors (or at least young actors from popular teen TV series) throw in an unknown director with only music videos on his resume, add some "ADHD" style editing, and bam -- you have a cheap $10 million movie with hopes of making $100 million back from stupid teens suckered in to see it.

It's been like that for what...30 years now? 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 11:36am

Halloween has probably been the time of year to release cheap-jack horror films since Universal's string of "Wolf Man" and "Mummy" sequels in the early-to-mid 1940s.

What makes this particular film an egregious example of suckering in audiences is that its advertising truly does look wimpy enough (i.e. scare-free enough) to have been made for either cable TV or direct-to-video release. And why they think opening it on Halloween night makes sense -- when the very morning after it opens the whole Halloween as a sales angle suddenly becomes moot -- is beyond me...

Everything SUX!
Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 11:38am

Just the title of this movie reminds me of The Exorcism of Emily Rose, another film that just raged with bad acting... 

RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2008 at 1:19pm

I wouldn't say anything too bad about Gossip Girl, HeadRAZZ. It's  sardonic (thanks to Kristen Bell's acidic narration), it's likeable, and it has a cast of surprisingly talented actors for a CW show.

I hope Leighton Meester is in the running to play the Huntress and Penn Badgeley as The Flash (Wally West) or Booster Gold in a future Justice League film.

You think you know, but you have no idea.
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2008 at 10:44am

I don't even feel like ripping into this movie. The apathy it inspires is too overwhelming...

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2008 at 2:52pm

The Exorcism of Emily Rose was one of the best horror movies created this century. It's sad to see people like you bashing it.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Just curious -- by "this century," do you mean the past 8 years??? 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 1:56am

Just a little food for thought: If you want people on this Forum to stop insulting you, it's best not to use phrases like "people like you." 

Originally posted by moviewizguy

The Exorcism of Emily Rose was one of the best horror movies created this century. It's sad to see people like you bashing it.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 2:05pm
Obviously, Rotten Tomatoes isn't giving an inch.  I might ask some of the critics if they posted their complaints AFTER they saw it.  Based on where it landed on the box office charts and the C grade its getting on Box Office Mojo, I might rank this as either Probable or Questionable (ironically, One Missed Call, The Eye, Shutter, The Happening, and Quarantine all fell in the latter category).
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 11:47am
I meant the past 8 years. I thought people didn't like it becaue they expected action and explosions...when it's a good court room drama that is NOT 12 Angry Men.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 12:14pm
Scratch that last comment.  Somebody posted a Fresh review on RT and the reception was CRUEL!!!
jbron8 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote jbron8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 12:51pm
It doesn't look scary in the least bit, but I still kind of want to see it. Most scary movies aren't really scary anyway...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 2:10am
Is that a chance you have to take or is that a complete risk?  The Happening probably would beat this in Worst Excuse for a Horror Movie (if you bring that back).
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 2:17am

I doubt "The Haunting of ..." will get any nods. "The Happening" "Saw V" "Mirrors" and "The Eye" are all way more serious contenders for any Worst Horror Movie category... 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 3:03pm
You forgot One Missed Call.
wolfee37 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfee37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 8:49am

AHHH HORRIBLE MOVIE. why did my friends want to see this, WHY?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>