Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

GRADUATE Already, God Damnit!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GRADUATE Already, God Damnit!!!!
    Posted: October 23 2008 at 3:29pm

Everyone has said something very true.

1. Disney never made sequels during his time. Wow, 40 years after his death, all his company makes now are cheap straight to DVD sequels of every movie that was made under his supervision. I'm sure he's been rolling over in his grave for some time now.

2. Yes, Disney finds preteen girls, gives just enough sex appeal that they boarderline as jailbait, and reuse them time and time again, to the point they control their "careers". Then, when the girls want out they pose in some men's magazine, and they are freed from their contacts ... only to have their careers go down the drain, ie. Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff.

3. Yes, there will be more HSM movies, just with a different cast. So, in a way, it will be just like "Saved By The Bell", milking the idea for everything it's worth.

And as to why it's okay for The Simpsons to have a theather movie and not HSM, it's dirt simple. Simpsons have lasted the test of time, being on air for 20 years now. They are perment icons in American pop culture. HSM is just the flavor of the month. Along with Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers, teens will forget all about it once Disney finds the next trend for kids to worship and spend their parents' money on. And just because one good, successful movie is made, doesn't mean it should spawn sequels like a rabbit in heat.

PS: Speaking of spawning sequels like a rabbit in heat, Spider-Man creator Stan Lee said in a recent interview that he predicts the Spider-Man movie series will be like the superhero equal of James Bond, ie. having 20+ movies over the course of decades to come. YIKES! 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: A minor point when your overall arguments are sound, but yes, during his lifetime, Walt Disney did do sequels: THE ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR was followed up by SON OF FLUBBER, and THE MISADVENTURES OF MERLIN JONES was succeeded by THE MONKEY'S UNCLE... 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 10:29pm

The powers that be are simply testing us...after giving us George H.W. and George W. for free, they want to see if we are dumb enough to pay for Jeb....In the name of all that is good and worthy in the world, avoid this movie...

Now...leave me alone for awhile so I can go look at my Hannah Montana calendar and have "dirty old man" thoughts...

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 7:11am
While I doubt this movie should be in discussion (at RottenTomates.com, it holds a 60% average, and even trusted reviewer Brian Orndrof likes it), I highly hold you in the most esteem ever, HeadRAZZ, for putting the effort in.

Heck, I read the user reviews on IMDB.com, and they all share one thing in common: High School Musical is a negative portrayal of high school life. There's only pretty white and black kids in this film, with nary a normal-looking kid in sight. Now that may not be a problem if it has the gully to satirize it (the first Scary Movie was a slapstick fest, but it made pointed observations about crappy horror films featuring actors/actresses too old for the parts of teenagers), but because the whole endeavor is taken so seriously, anyone who's opposite on screen will have a negative outlook on life.

The second point is that Zac Efron and Vanessa Anne Hudgens are the least talented actors and actresses ever, and they're among the lines of overrated talentless teenagers coming out of the Disney Channel factory. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if Efron winds up becoming the next Hayden Christensen (an insult to Christensen himself), and Mila Kunis looks ten zillion times more beautiful than Hudgens... AND SHE CAN ACT (there can be redemption after Max Payne). The fact that everyone looks up to these two crackers - along with Hannah Montana (or Miley Cyrus, or whatever she is these days) and the Jonas Brothers - is disheartening to the normal people out there who'll feel rejected because they are wise enough not to fall for this junk.

It makes me sick, and this is coming from someone who wined and dined on Disney films in the past.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 12:25pm

Originally posted by Michaels

And as to why it's okay for The Simpsons to have a theather movie and not HSM, it's dirt simple. Simpsons have lasted the test of time, being on air for 20 years now. They are perment icons in American pop culture. HSM is just the flavor of the month. Along with Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers, teens will forget all about it once Disney finds the next trend for kids to worship and spend their parents' money on. And just because one good, successful movie is made, doesn't mean it should spawn sequels like a rabbit in heat.

That's extremely stupid. First of all, you know why everyone is bashing this movie: Because everyone hates the success it's having! It's that simple! These movies aren't even that bad! All of the bashers have never seen these movies, I can tell you that. I saw the first one. IT WASN'T BAD. It was actually entertaining and the songs were really catchy.

Originally posted by RoadDogXVIII

While I doubt this movie should be in discussion (at RottenTomates.com, it holds a 60% average, and even trusted reviewer Brian Orndrof likes it), I highly hold you in the most esteem ever, HeadRAZZ, for putting the effort in.

Heck, I read the user reviews on IMDB.com, and they all share one thing in common: High School Musical is a negative portrayal of high school life. There's only pretty white and black kids in this film, with nary a normal-looking kid in sight. Now that may not be a problem if it has the gully to satirize it (the first Scary Movie was a slapstick fest, but it made pointed observations about crappy horror films featuring actors/actresses too old for the parts of teenagers), but because the whole endeavor is taken so seriously, anyone who's opposite on screen will have a negative outlook on life.

The second point is that Zac Efron and Vanessa Anne Hudgens are the least talented actors and actresses ever, and they're among the lines of overrated talentless teenagers coming out of the Disney Channel factory. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if Efron winds up becoming the next Hayden Christensen (an insult to Christensen himself), and Mila Kunis looks ten zillion times more beautiful than Hudgens... AND SHE CAN ACT (there can be redemption after Max Payne). The fact that everyone looks up to these two crackers - along with Hannah Montana (or Miley Cyrus, or whatever she is these days) and the Jonas Brothers - is disheartening to the normal people out there who'll feel rejected because they are wise enough not to fall for this junk.

It makes me sick, and this is coming from someone who wined and dined on Disney films in the past.

I don't think HeadRazz actually had guts to put this movie on here. Why? EVERYONE is probably doing the same! I mean, Jesus, this movie had below a 3.0 on IMDb A WEEK or so before the movie was released! That's how much hate it's getting! Even people in my school hates it!

And your complaint about how this is creating a negative potrayal...please, that's just thinking up excuses for bashing this movie. First of all, MOST MOVIES have good looking people. The ONLY things I can think up that actually has diversity is LOST, Magnolia, and Lady in the Water! And this movie is pure fun! Nobody's going to see this and get upset because it's all happy and doesn't show the grim life of high school and emos and bullying and drugs and guns! It's a MUSICAL! It's supposed to be happy, fun, entertaining, etc!

Also, the couple aren't that bad. Have you seen Efron in Hairspray? He's also going to play H.G. Wells (sp?).

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 2:06pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

That's extremely stupid.

Why is stating the truth "stupid"? I said "The Simpsons" is an iconic series in American entertainment. I don't care how "catchy" the first HSM movie was, people will not be still talking about it 20 or 30 years from now like they do "Grease" or "Rocky Horror Pictures Show".

Seriously, please, if you hate everything we have to say in this forum, do this one little thing. Buy a Razzie membership and VOTE. Don't complain about how "stupid" and "unfair" we are, and VOTE. If you vote, then you will have say in which movies we should be mocking, at least by YOUR standards, whatever they are.

RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 4:48pm

That's extremely stupid. First of all, you know why everyone is bashing this movie: Because everyone hates the success it's having! It's that simple! These movies aren't even that bad! All of the bashers have never seen these movies, I can tell you that. I saw the first one. IT WASN'T BAD. It was actually entertaining and the songs were really catchy.

Originally posted by RoadDogXVIII

I don't think HeadRazz actually had guts to put this movie on here. Why? EVERYONE is probably doing the same! I mean, Jesus, this movie had below a 3.0 on IMDb A WEEK or so before the movie was released! That's how much hate it's getting! Even people in my school hates it!

And your complaint about how this is creating a negative potrayal...please, that's just thinking up excuses for bashing this movie. First of all, MOST MOVIES have good looking people. The ONLY things I can think up that actually has diversity is LOST, Magnolia, and Lady in the Water! And this movie is pure fun! Nobody's going to see this and get upset because it's all happy and doesn't show the grim life of high school and emos and bullying and drugs and guns! It's a MUSICAL! It's supposed to be happy, fun, entertaining, etc!

Also, the couple aren't that bad. Have you seen Efron in Hairspray? He's also going to play H.G. Wells (sp?).

Somehow, I'm starting to wonder why many people here don't like you that much. But, hey, who am I to stop you from seeing a movie. That is your decision. As long as there's something crappy that can hopefully be turned into a good spoof material one day (YouTube, here I come). I'm just saying that I, and hopefully many others, don't buy into this fad that - as Michaels proclaimed - is gonna fade into obscurity along with Hannah Montana and the Jonas Borthers. Then we can return to normalcy.

I have more to say, but I better end it so I don't have to recieve any hate.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
dipitlow555 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dipitlow555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 5:57pm
this movie WAS actually GOOD!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2008 at 4:14am

This movie seems to have a curious polarizing effect. I would note here that while going to the theater last night to see Bill Maher's outstanding documentary Religulous, there was only one film people were lined up to see, and they were lined up nearly an hour before showtime. That movie wasn't Saw V, but rather HSM3. It should probably also be noted that HSM3 is getting generally favorable reviews, while Saw V is down in the 14% range at RT, definitely our target area.

We don't have children, but if we did, I'd permit them to see HSM3 without much reservation, while Satan would be playing hockey on home ice before I'd ever permit them to see movies like Saw V. I further suspect that come nomination time, this film won't be in any serious danger of receving further attention. Moreover, the license has proven so overwhelmingly successful the Disney people are bound to find a way to perpetuate it...HSM 4 The New Class or something of that order. So going forward, we'll probably just have to tolerate its existance and seek out more legitimate targets.

I'll give the Disney people one other point of credit: At least they stocked their musical with genuinely talented young people to carry the whole thing off. That stands in stark opposition to musicals like Momma Mia, which was patently guilty of casting on the basis of box-office appeal without much regard for whether or not the principles had much talent for singing and dancing. That made for some painful and even embarrassing moments. It is also wildly unfair to criticize the HSM series on the basis of unfair portrayal of high school experience, since they are nothing more than light entertainment, not an effort to express realistic teenage angst. I haven't seen any of these movies, but if someone gives me the opportunity to invest in the next one, I won't be able to get to my checkbook fast enough.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2008 at 7:31am
I just find it stupid that people would bash a franchise just because it's successful.
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2008 at 9:50am

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: HSM3 isn't being bashed on our Forum because it's successful -- It's because it's arguably talent-free, it's aimed at a lowest-common-denominator audience, and this third installment is getting a theatrical release, when its two mediocre predecessors debuted on Disney Channel for FREE. 

In the industry, Disney has long had a reputation for being money-grubbing, formulaic and devoid of original ideas -- and this particular film personifies why... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2008 at 12:15pm

I just find it stupid that people would bash a franchise just because it's successful.

I'm sorry, but you asked the question "Why is it okay for The Simpsons to have a theater motion picture adaptation, but not okay for HSM to have one?" I simply replied with the fact Simpsons is an entertainment icon. An icon that has won many Emmys and has even had the word "D'oh" added to the Oxford Dictionary. Based on my answering your question, you proclaimed me "extremely stupid".

As to why we bash this fanchise, in case you haven't noticed, we here at the Razzies hate Hollywood for making movies for the sole purpose of making money. If they release the third movie in a series that was originally shown on cable, chances are they're doing it just for money reasons. And when Hollywood is out solely for profit and nothing more, we at the Razzies will jump on it like we are now...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2008 at 3:20pm

But it doesn't count if the movie turns out to be good... 

And when Hollywood is out for profit and nothing more, we at the Razzies will jump on it like we are now.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2008 at 4:48pm

With all due respect, sometimes that is precisely the best reason to criticize something. I could spend the next hour citing examples of extremely successful films, books, TV shows, radio programs -- you name it -- that were unbelievably successful financially...but still crap.

I think that offering this movie up for consideration might have been just a little outre, but the financial and popular success of this series does seem incredibly disproportionate to the general quality (although I somewhat disagree with Headrazz's assessment that very little talented is represented. On the contrary, I think some very talented young performers were featured in this series).

I would also disagree with Michaels' suggestion that this movie was produced for the sole purpose of making money. Clearly, Disney is hauling it in hand over fist on this series, but based on the feedback I'm hearing from various sources, the target audiences ARE leaving the theater entertained. So evidently, the people who made this movie are giving their audience what they want. It isn't my cup of tea, and I'm a bit disturbed that something this airy can be so successful, but I'm not surprised. If there were no market for utterly mindless, anti-intellectual entertainment, America would have never heard of Rush Limbaugh.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 1:46am
Well, what it all comes down to is WHO is finding it entertaining or "good". According to HeadRazz, it's the "lowest-common-denominator", ie. teenage girls. I'm sure there were very young childern who thought the "Baby Geniuses" movies were a hoot, but that doesn't mean it was "good" for anyone else over the age of 5. Once man's junk is another man's treasure.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 9:19am

Well, what it all comes down to is WHO is finding it entertaining or "good". According to HeadRazz, it's the "lowest-common-denominator", ie. teenage girls..

Best of wishes to you when you walk out your door tomorrow morning to find a large and very upset group of teenage girls awaiting outside, who aren't there coveting hugs and kisses. THAT is one group of people I'd personally be loathe to piss off. (There is an old addage the the REAL reason that men don't allow women in combat, especially young ones, is the realization that they are simply too vicious to play by the rules.)  Incidentally, I also think you are putting words into Head Razz's mouth here...

But let's bring this discussion to a rational perspective. Most of us here aren't fans of this license, but clearly, it has a pretty large audience. The critics weren't even particularly  harsh on this film, so let's let it be. There are going to be more of them, and sooner or later, the license is going to deteriorate to something truly worthy of our attention by pure force of inertia...but not this time.

tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 1:44pm

Zac Efron is teaming up with  Matthew Perry 17 Again which looks like a remake of 18 Again here the trailer below.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810038675/video/10360526

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>