Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > SKYLINE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Guess the Sky DUZ Have Limits!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guess the Sky DUZ Have Limits!
    Posted: November 17 2010 at 5:07pm
That would sum up EVERY alien movie since the early '50s!  

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 7:35pm
Except that "invasion" implies they are occupying.  As far as I can tell, the aliens just want our brains.  And that MAYBE they don't like our water (signs of Signs, anybody?).

BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 10:02pm
But cvcjr, it makes perfect logic and common sense for aliens to invade a planet that is 70% covered by their only weakness... 

Oh, no, wait...it doesn't.  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 11:04am
I know you don't want me to defend a Shyamalan movie here...and I won't. The flaw of SIGNS was trying too hard to mix horror with science fiction. Sci-Fi kinda requires explanations for certain things, while Horror doesn't. The deal about the aliens wasn't explained because that's how M. Night's idol Hitchcock did it.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 4:33pm
I'm not hating on the movie, and yes I know Hitchcok would use the "McGiffen device" in which certain plot points are not fully explained because the audiences wouldn't care, just as long as it's made to look important. However, there is a world of difference between not fully explaining something and a complete lack in common sense -- like why the hell would aliens invade a planet covered in water when their only weakness is water?!

MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 5:18pm

If you wanna see a good movie involving aliens, see District 9, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), or Men in Black.

Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 6:42pm
Or even Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

If you wanna see a good movie involving aliens, see District 9, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), or Men in Black.

Pictures move, do they?
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 7:08pm
Two words describe this MESSTERPIECE...

BLUE CHEESE!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 8:10pm
Because it's stinky like old cheese, and most of the time, the screen is lit up in blue light?  

JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 5:03pm
Well, Burn, it DID show up a week before a blue moon Wink
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 5:37pm
Oh my, that joke was so painful, I'm surprised it wasn't in the movie itself!
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 7:50pm
District 9 still ranks among the most unpleasant and disappointing experiences I have ever had in a movie theater. The original Day the Earth Stands Still is a classic, Men in Black is over-rated.

I'm not sure any of these 3 movies would make my top ten in the "alien encounters" genre.  

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 8:13pm
For the child in you, how about "E.T." Or the movie that started the "group-of-people-being-killed-off=one-by-one-by-a-monster" cliche, "Alien."  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

District 9 still ranks among the most unpleasant and disappointing experiences I have ever had in a movie theater. The original Day the Earth Stands Still is a classic, Men in Black is overrated. I'm not sure any of these movies would make my top ten in the "alien encounters" genre.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 8:30pm
"The movie that started the "group of people being killed off one by one by a monster" cliche??

Alien was 1979 --  Texas Chain Saw Massacre was 1974.

I'm guessing we can go back further.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 10:00pm
Well, the formula might have been used before, but I give "Alien" credit for cementing it as a successful device that has been copied and pasted ever since for over 30 years.  

Originally posted by cvcjr13

"The movie that started the "group of people being killed off one by one by a monster" cliche??

Alien was 1979 --  Texas Chain Saw Massacre was 1974.

I'm guessing we can go back further.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 8:01am
Maybe you'd better change that viewpoint to fit the facts. 

After Texas Chain Saw Massacre came out, we suddenly had Black Christmas (1974), then Halloween (1978), and Friday the 13th (1980) owed more to TCSM than Alien.  It was a successful formula starting with TCSM

They were so successful (with the sole exception of BC (but that apparently became a cult favorite) that they all had terrible remakes over the past eight years (including BC).  That leaves Alien the only one that was both successful and, so far, unscathed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>