Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > STEP BROTHERS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Half-Brothers & Half-Wits...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Half-Brothers & Half-Wits...
    Posted: July 20 2008 at 3:35am

THE PROBLEM with SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE ALUMNAE WHO BECOME MOVIE STARS IS THIS: WHILE THEY MAY BE HILARIOUS in 3-to-5-MINUTE SKITS, IT's RARE to SUSTAIN THAT LEVEL of COMEDY for 90 MINUTES. ONE of the MORE EXCRUCIATING PROOFS of THIS THEORY IS WILL FERRELL, WHO WAS LAST EVEN REMOTELY FUNNY as RON BURGUNDY (FOUR YEARS AGO).

AFTER BOMBING OUT EARLIER THIS YEAR with SEMI-PRO, FERRELL MAY SEAL the DEAL for a 2008 WORST ACTOR NOMINATION with STEP BROTHERS -- A MOVIE SO DIM-WITTED ONE WORRIES THAT ANYONE WHO'D ACTUALLY FIND IT FUNNY MAY NOT HAVE the MENTAL FACULTIES to SAFELY INASERT the DVD into THEIR PLAYER.

ITS ONE SAVING GRACE: THE OTHER STEP BROTHER IS PLAYED by JOHN C. REILLY, WHO WAS FABULOSULY FUNNY as DEWEY COX.

BUT THEN, THIS ONE WAS CO-WRITTEN by FERRELL HIMSELF, WHOSE "TALENT" for "ACTING" (PITIFUL THO IT MAY BE) FAR EXCEEDS HIS "TALENT" for WRITING...

SO, STEP RIGHT UP, FOLKS and LET US KNOW WHATCHOO THINK: IS THIS FUNNY ...OR DOES IT (AS WE THINK) STINK?? 

FERRELL: "What's that stench -- Did you cut one?"

RILEY: "No, I just opened my script to study my lines..."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
PopcornAvenger View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PopcornAvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 4:50am

I can only echo the sentiment expressed by the Head Raspberry: When is this guy going to go away?

It might be never -- or, worse, maybe there's an underlying cosmic balance in Hollywood that demands the presence of "stars" like him (this generation's Pauly Shore?). He's the nexus for dreck. If he "went away," another would step up to take his place, shovel in hand...  

Y'know, this does look to be a little funnier than Semi Pro (at least from the trailer). Maybe its the presence of Mr. Reilly. Yet if it was co-written by Ferrell . . .     God help us!  

thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 5:13am
The trailers weren't funny -- all the jokes seemed very immature.

However, Will Ferrell is co-writing with Adam McKay, with whom he worked on "Ricky Bobby" and "Anchorman" (two not-too-terrible comedies). Maybe all the funny parts are R-Rated...but I'm not counting on that so much! 
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 3:01pm
I thought Will Ferrell was funniest in Blades of Glory and Elf; the rest was
just so-so......
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 3:37pm
Problem with Will Ferrell: he's the same in every movie he does. The storyline might change (and maybe his hair style) but he's the same character every time. And it's played out. The trailer wasn't funny, except for one or two times I did get a slight chuckle because of John C. Reilly's comic timing.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 5:44pm

I laughed at the physical comedy of the bunk beds part, shown above.  The rest looked stupid to mildly amusing, but a whole lot better than anything I've seen from Semi Pro.

moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 9:13pm
When did John C. Reilly become Will Ferrell Jr.? Even in Walk Hard, he was basically doing a Ferrell performance, complete with  some of Will's favorite gags (e.g. running around in nothing but briefs). This film seems to be emblematic of the current casting style that really limits Reilly's talents, when he's demonstrated in the past that he's capable of far more than the one-note shticks Ferrell has built his career around.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 12:43pm
The scary thing is, somebody actually green-lighted this project. The question is now inevitable: Is there anything too crappy for Hollywood to foist on the public?
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 2:16pm

How many TV series and movies dealing with immature grown-ups can you come up with? 

I'll start the list:

Get a Life
The Brothers Solomon

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 4:27am
There's no way this can be as bad as "The Brothers Solomon".
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 7:29am
I laughed during the tv commericals....I found it funny. Especially in the interview, graveyard, and bed scenes. It even has a 100% in RT...but it's a bit too early to tell.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 8:16am
Originally posted by cvcjr13

How many TV series and movies dealing with immature grown-ups can you come up with? 

And Juno and Knocked Up, two good movies

BTW, I'm actually pretty surprised at the positive early review this movie is getting, though none of them from top critics. I guess the funny parts are in the R-rated section of the movie
Seltzerberg is back?

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 11:15am
The movie has a 100% approval rating on RT; are we seeing another
Horton?
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2008 at 2:04am

The same cabal of critics who seem hand-picked to screen movies before the rest of them, including my favorite Prairie Miller, have screened this movie.  The only thing noteworthy about all seven of these people liking this film is that a couple of them occasionally demonstrate some discernment.  Otherwise, it's best to wait until the rest of the critics weigh in before we say whether we've picked another Horton or Wanted.

And remember, it's worked both ways this year.  The critics panned Hancock, and as far as I can tell, none of us Razzie voters feel that way.

Here's a link to Step Brothers' page at Rotten Tomatoes.

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2008 at 4:10am
As I said in my response to Semi-Pro, The 90 second trailer for this was a helluva lot better than the 90 minutes of Semi-Pro! As mentioned above Step-Brothers has early positive reviews but as we all know that can change to the other side of the spectrum within a few days past it's release date. However, early word of mouth and the collaborative team that are on this film I really do not see this going below fresh. I guess Will find out (get it "Will").
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2008 at 4:24am
X-Files 2 is getting negative reviews so far. Maybe that should be our worst of the weak instead of this?
Seltzerberg is back?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>