Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Talk Amongst Yourselves
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

HAVE the RAZZIES® Really Made a Difference?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CarrieWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HAVE the RAZZIES® Really Made a Difference?!?!?
    Posted: May 14 2011 at 1:32pm
Since the inception of the Razzies - well, have you made a difference? Has there been a decline in terms of crap output from Hollywood? 

Sorry for the naive question - just curious whether or not they're actually listening and doing something about it. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Excellent question! 

Though Hollywood continues to crank out the crap even after 31 years of our awards, we like to think we've had some impact. After being nominated for about 93% of everything she's ever done, our Awl-Time Female Cam-Peen Madonna finally abandoned all hopes of perpetuating her film career (which she blamed partly on us!). After setting a still-held record of getting over 65% of all votes in two 5-contender categories for GODFATHER III, Sofia Coppola declared she would "never act again" (and has gone on to great success behind the camera as a writer/director). And even though our giving Worst Picture to TRANSFORMERS TOO a few years back didn't prevent the making of TRANSFORMERS 3, we did force that film's makers to admit that their $400-million grossing movie "disappointed" millions of movie-goers. 

So the answer to your inquiry is both "yes" and "no" -- Crap continues to be made, but our message is at least getting through on some level...  

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 10:17am
I THINK the POSTING ABOVE is PERFECT FODDER for a SERIOUS DISCUSSION...

OR a SILLY ONE!  

EITHER WAY, FEEL FREE to POST YER THOUGHTS BELOW...  
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 10:57am
They have made a difference when it comes to awarding the worst movies, something few people do. And people around the world have acknowledged them. 

But they haven't made a difference in the sense that more than half the people don't take them seriously (although that might be because they're meant to be a joke). 

There are still bad movies, and nothing will change that. It's the Yin/Yang,folks! As for people learning from their mistakes...well, some do, but they also could do that by reading reviews.

And it's not like the Oscars also made a difference either! 

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 11:11am

Didn't Uwe Boll also say in his "acceptance" video that the Razzies ruined his career.

I find that evidence enough that the Razzies have had a good effect on Hollywood!

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 12:05pm
I would say that The Razzies made a impact of what people considered the worst (Although in 1997, Postman won Worst Picture, and many people still consider Batman & Robin the worst picture from that year)...  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: BATMAN & ROBIN entered the 1997 RAZZIE® race with 11 nominations, the most of any title that year, but wound up with only one "win" (LINK). B&R also received slightly better reviews (R.T. LINK) than POSTMAN did (R.T. LINK). POSTMAN wound up as the only Worst Picture nominee ever to "win" every RAZZIE® for which it was nominated (LINK). Guess our Voting Members at the time thought, stinky as it was, BATMAN & ROBIN at least recouped a substantial portion of its budget (B.O. MoJo LINK) while POSTMAN, the living definition of "vanity production," cost and lost a fortune (B.O. MoJo LINK). It was probably also a factor in POSTMAN's "favor" that it featured a major RAZZIE® "target" of the 1990s, Kevin Costner (who ranks second only to Stallone as our Awl-Time Male Cham-Peen (LINK)...  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 12:56pm
To this day, most people don't even remember "The Postman", and "Batman & Robin" ends up on most of the Worst Movies Of All-Time Lists instead. Then again, Batman has a huge fan following, and I'm sure that plays a part in the hatred towards that movie.  

But yeah, if it wasn't for "Transformers 2" winning 3 Razzies, I doubt Michael Bay would be eating crow like he has been doing. But of course, he won't admit that his lack of talent as a film-maker is one of the reasons why his movies suck...but let's not ask for miracles!  

Originally posted by oiram

I would say that The Razzies made a impact of what people considered the worst (Although in 1997, Postman won Worst Picture, and many people still consider Batman & Robin the worst picture from that year)...  
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 12:59pm
Whenever there's a "Worst movies ever" list, the Razzies are almost always among the sources that help to decide.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 3:20pm
I'd say that Uwe Boll's own movies "ruined his career"  more than the Razzies could ever do...  

Originally posted by Vheid

Didn't Uwe Boll also say in his "acceptance" video that the Razzies ruined his career.

I find that evidence enough that the Razzies have had a good effect on Hollywood!

Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 5:22pm
Yes, but it wasn't until after he won  the Worst Career Razzie that Germany changed its laws about native born film-makers getting tax-free grants from the government (which was how he was funding most of his movies). And Boll hasn't made a theatrically released movie since!  

Originally posted by Razzilla

Originally posted by Vheid

I'd say that Uwe Boll's movies did that more than the Razzies could ever do...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 12:19am
The fact that Bay was forced to say anything bad at all about his movies is to me a step in the right direction. It's a baby step, but still a step nonetheless (lol). Keep in mind, this is a guy who's never admitted to making anything bad before in his life -- not even Pearl Harbor!  

Originally posted by Michaels

But yeah, if it wasn't for "Transformers 2" winning 3 Razzies, I doubt Michael Bay would be eating crow like he has been doing. But of course, he won't admit that his lack of talent as a film-maker is one of the reasons why his movies suck...but let's not ask for miracles!  
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 8:53am
I imagine that when Bay made those comments about "Transformers 2" (which, by the way, he blamed on the Writer's Guild Strike), it must have been like one of those comedy routines where the character goes "I was wrooo....I was wroonnnnnn....I WAS WRONG!" and then doubles over in pain. 
Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 2:59pm
That's probably not to far from the truth, but like i said given the fact that he's never apologized for pearl harbor, which was a far worse movie in my opinion, this is a step up. Now all we need is Richard Dreyfuss and Bill Murary to stand next to him all day and say "Baby steps!" over and over. Clap 
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 4:31pm
Oh yes, "Baby step to admitting that I suck ... baby step to admitting that I suck".
Lord Naseby View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lord Naseby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2011 at 1:05pm
I think you have made a difference, but you still have to be careful. You could slip into "politics" if you aren't vigilant:  

"We haven't given this person a Razzie yet and he/she desperately deserves one!"  

"But this performer was worse this year!"

"It doesn't matter, because that one has a few Razzies" 

You want to be careful not to turn yourselves into the Oscars!  
Lord Naseby read my reviews!

http://lordnasebyblog.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply