Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > Forum Members' DISCUSSION of 2012 Releases List...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Here 'Tis...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 113>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here 'Tis...
    Posted: March 08 2012 at 7:37am
These are the new releases here: JOHN CARTER, MAN ON A LEDGE, THE HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER, OR NOIR (BLACK GOLD), and THE GODFATHER (remastered).What should I do? I'd like your answers to be as creative as possible, and I know they can be.
Wink
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 11:27am
I've never heard of Human Resources Manager or Noir, John Carter opens tomorrow and has a 51% at RT right now, and Man On A Ledge bombed horribly. So, The Godfather re-mastered is the best choice.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 11:57am
Which speaking of that, HeadRAZZ, if John Carter's Tomatometer falls more, I request it gets a forum please.
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 1:10pm

No just no, the only critics that I care about say it's really good (I really don't give a crap in general what they think).

I'm trying to see it this weekend, so I'll give my own thoughts on it.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 3:01pm
First picture of Lone Ranger is released, and boy howdy, does it look silly (LINK)
HeadRazz, what do you think of this?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: It is my understanding that this version of LONE RANGER (technically a remake of 1981 RAZZIE® "winner" LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER - IMDb LINK) will be intentionally silly, trying (in the style of BLAZING SADDLES?) to poke fun at Western cliche's and racial attitudes by pushing them over-the-top. The dead bird atop Johnny Depp's head in the photo should be a tip-off. 

So, unless its attempts at humor fall totally flat, I don't think this film is a likely RAZZIE® target...

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 4:56pm
So far it seems none of the new releases are bad enough to get forums. JOHN CARTER could drop to 40%, but it's nothing compared to what 1000 WORDS might get, so if there's not another forum I'll be OK with it.

After thinking about it, it makes sense that SILENT HOUSE isn't bad. As Billy Wilder once said, people should remake only the movies that need it. The original (LA CASA MUDA) was bad in such obvious ways, that maybe this one improved it somehow.
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

The Godfather re-mastered is the best choice.
Well, I'm one of those who think making improvements on movies is a sacrilege.
Originally posted by oiram

First picture of Lone Ranger is released, and boy howdy, does it look silly (LINK)
I honestly thought they photoshopped JACK SPARROW in there.

By the way, "Tonto" means "Dumb"... or "Silly", like you said.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 9:08pm
I'm going to have to argue this point. I agree that techniques like colorization were crimes against humanity. But digital remastering isn't really changing anything fundamental. It is more a technique of preservation. I have no problems with it and since this is the 40th anniversary of the film's release, it's really more of a tribute.

Originally posted by Vits

Well, I'm one of those who think making improvements on movies is a sacrilege.

For awhile, there were all sorts of internet rumors flying around attempting to demonstrate that the word "Kemosabe" (that spelling is as good as any for our purposes) wasn't exactly complimentary either. They almost certainly aren't true, and it probably originated from a word from the Ottawa tribe meaning "trusted scout." But since no one really knows for sure, I suppose we can at least entertain ourselves by believing that everytime the Ranger calls his Native pal something on the order of "dummy," his sidekick is firing back with a "sh*thead."

By the way, "Tonto" means "Dumb"... or "Silly", like you said.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 8:12am
So...the movies could disappear from the face of the Earth? 

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I'm going to have to argue this point. I agree that techniques like colorization were crimes against humanity. But digital remastering isn't really changing anything fundamental. It is more a technique of preservation.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 2:22pm
Here's my list thus far:

WORST PICTURE

The Devil Inside

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Gone

Joyful Noise

Man on a Ledge

One for the Money

A Thousand Words

Underworld: Awakening

W.E.

WORST DIRECTOR

William Brent Bell/The Devil Inside

Heitor Dhalia/Gone

Todd Graff/Joyful Noise

Asger Leth/Man on a Ledge

Madonna/W.E.

Neveldine/Taylor/Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Brian Robbins/A Thousand Words

Julie Anne Robinson/One for the Money

Mĺns Mĺrlind and Björn Stein/Underworld: Awakening

WORST ACTOR

Nicolas Cage/Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Oscar Isaac/W.E.

Eddie Murphy/A Thousand Words

Sam Worthington/Man on a Ledge

WORST ACTRESS

Kate Beckinsale/Contraband and Underworld: Awakening

Abbie Cornish/W.E.

Katherine Heigl/One for the Money

Queen Latifah/Joyful Noise

Dolly Parton/Joyful Noise

Amanda Seyfried/Gone

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Jamie Bell/Man on a Ledge

Edward Burns/Man on a Ledge

Cliff Curtis/A Thousand Words

James D’Arcy/W.E.

Clark Duke/A Thousand Words

Michael Ealy/Underworld: Awakening

Idris Elba/Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Ed Harris/Man on a Ledge

Ciarán Hinds/Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Theo James/Underworld: Awakening

Jeremy Jordan/Joyful Noise

John Leguizamo/One for the Money

Jason O'Mara/One for the Money

Stephen Rea/Underworld: Awakening

Daniel Sunjata/Gone and One for the Money

Johnny Whitworth/Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Elizabeth Banks/Man on a Ledge

Jennifer Carpenter/Gone

Ruby Dee/A Thousand Words

India Eisley/Underworld: Awakening

Sandrine Holt/Underworld: Awakening

Allison Janney/A Thousand Words

Keke Palmer/Joyful Noise

Violante Placido/Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Debbie Reynolds/One for the Money

Andrea Riseborough/W.E.

Genesis Rodriguez/Man on a Ledge

Sherri Shepherd/One for the Money

Kerry Washington/A Thousand Words

WORST SCREENPLAY

The Devil Inside

Gone

Joyful Noise

Man on a Ledge

One for the Money

A Thousand Words

W.E.

WORST SCREEN COUPLE

Elizabeth Banks and Sam Worthington/Man on a Ledge

Kate Beckinsale and her sleek, tight, black jump suit/Underworld: Awakening

Jamie Bell and Genesis Rodriguez/Man on a Ledge

Nicolas Cage and his Demon Motorcycle/Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Abbie Cornish and either Richard Coyle or Oscar Isaac/W.E.

James D’Arcy and Andrea Riseborough/W.E.

Katherine Heigl and either Jason O’Mara, Daniel Sunjata or her high heals/One for the Money

Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton/Joyful Noise

Jeremy Jordan and Keke Palmer/Joyful Noise

Eddie Murphy and anyone annoyed by or over-reacting to his miming/A Thousand Words

Amanda Seyfried and any person she threatens/Gone

WORST SCREEN ENSEMBLE

Entire Cast of The Devil Inside

Entire Cast of Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Entire Cast of Gone

Entire Cast of Joyful Noise

Entire Cast of Man on a Ledge

Entire Cast of One for the Money

Entire Cast of A Thousand Words

Entire Cast of Underworld: Awakening

Entire Cast of W.E.

WORST REMAKE OR RIPOFF

The Devil Inside (Rip-off of The Last Exorcism)

One for the Money (Rip-off of The Bounty Hunter)

A Thousand Words (Rip-off of Liar Liar)

W.E. (Rip-off of Julie & Julia and The King‘s Speech)

WORST PREQUEL OR SEQUEL

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 2:35pm
Seeing that 21 Jump Street (the only wide release next week) is recieving some suprisingly positive early reviews (link)... Could we possibly focus our attention for next week on the limited release Nic Cage revenge-thriller Seeking Justice (link)....
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 3:26pm
To HeadRAZZ: Have the Final RAZZIE Ballots been mailed yet?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: This year's Final Ballot is being voted entirely online. If you have not yet gotten it, you should be receiving an e-mail shortly from Razzies/Ballot Master that will provide you with both a LINK to the Final Ballot, and your Personal Code to enable your voting rights. Finally, the Golden Raspberries are Going Green!  

To oiram: Please don't do your "2012 contenders" list again until late May or early June. Try to limit those kinds of posts to once every 2 1/2 months. Otherwise, we should start a separate topic to track each of our front-runners.

To Vheid: Good idea as long as the reviews go down rather than up. It would go well next to Spirit of Vengeance on the nominations list. I also have my eye on the Will Ferrell pseudo-Mexican period comedy (for lack of a better description) Casa de mi Padre. While not quite as likely to fail, there's still that chance because of Will Ferrell, so don't take my word quite yet.

To Everyone Else: April has a TON of possible RAZZIE contenders!

April 6: Though the American Pie trilogy never caught our attention, American Reunion seems like the likeliest contender because it's a spin-off of the trilogy. The Cold Light of Day is an agency/conspiracy action thriller, and Damsels in Distress is a comedy, possibly the first in a saga that twists on the classic women being held captive trope. None of these three have directors who've ever really been the focus of RAZZIE discussion, so all this is to be taken with a grain of salt.

April 13: The Three Stooges is the obvious one.

April 20: Weed Day has six films scheduled. Among them, Think Like a Man, is from director Tim Story. His resume includes Taxi (Bottom 40 Films of 2004, #34), Fantastic Four (Bottom 40 Films of 2005, #13), and Rise of the Silver Surfer (Bottom 40 Films of 2007, #17)... and it's an adaptation of a book by Steve Harvey. Darling Companion is from the director of Wyatt Earp, 1994's RAZZIE classic #5, and Dreamcatcher (Bottom 40 Films of 2003, #36). The Lucky One has a lot to do with the 2010 RAZZIEs: It stars Zac Efron (Charlie St. Cloud, Bottom 40 Films of 2010, #27) and is the next Nicolas Sparks adaptation after The Last Song (Bottom 40 Films of 2010, #16).

April 27: The Raven was already losing 0 to 5 on the Tomatometer last time I checked. 
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 4:25pm
Remember I said SEEKING JUSTICE was released here last week? Reviews were mixed to negative, calling the movie "just another revenge Thriller, but more forgettable than terrible". When it was released, I told my dad about it, and I swear this is what we said:
-"There's this movie called SEEKING JUSTICE".
-"I'm listening".
-"It stars Nicolas Cage--"-
-"No thank you".
-"Why?".
-"You told me that now he only makes movies to "buy bread". But anyway, what's it about".
-"Some guy tells Cage he can help him get revenge of the people who raped his wife, and in exchange, he'll ask some favor in return eventually. The favor ends up being him having to kill people".
-"In a motorcycle, right?".
-"Huh? No"*.
If this isn't enough, it was directed by Razzie nominee Roger Donaldson (COCKTAIL).

*I haven't seen GHOST RIDER. I recorded it on my new DVR, and will watch it soon so I can watch the 2nd one.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 4:28pm
Actually, it's a sequel. It's the 3rd sequel but the 8th installment after 4 spin-offs. 

Originally posted by GTAHater767

Though the American Pie trilogy never caught our attention, American Reunionseems like the likeliest contender because it's a spin-off of the trilogy.

Originally posted by GTAHater767

Damsels in Distress is a comedy, possibly the first in a saga that twists on the classic women being held captive trope.

Remember when I posted the trailer and complained about it? Anyway, the movies directed by Whit Stillman take place within the same universe, but they're not direct sequels, so it's not a saga. I doubt it'll be different with this one.
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 6:49pm
Critics don't hate Will Ferrel -- In fact, both of his last two films were well received. 

Also the Raven is no longer rated 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. 

jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 7:45pm

Even though Battleship's U.S. release is in May, it actually releases in some parts of the world, including Australia, in April. So we'll have to see some of the reviews it gets then.

"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 9:06pm
Something on the order of 80% of all the silent movies were in fact lost forever for a variety of reasons: Some due to the nitrates in the film stock that caused them to autoignite,  others were destroyed simply because it never occured to anyone to preserve them once their commerical runs were complete (One of Chaplin's early films was a victim of this kind of indifference).  A huge number of Harold Lloyd's films were lost in a vault fire in 1940. Roughly half the movies made from 1927 to 1950 are also gone. Intentional destruction was rare, but poor preservation techniques caused their demise. With the advent of videos and DVD's the more modern movies aren't in danger of disappearing outright, but there has been significant color deterioration of the original pre-digital masters from which the best copies can be made. With digital remastering, it is possible to perpetuate movies with the quality of the original prints. The issue here isn't changing, it is preserving.  

Originally posted by Vits

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I'm going to have to argue this point. I agree that techniques like colorization were crimes against humanity. But digital remastering isn't really changing anything fundamental. It is more a technique of preservation.
So... the movie could disappear from the face of the Earth?
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 113>