Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > Forum Members' DISCUSSION of 2012 Releases List...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Here 'Tis...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 113>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here 'Tis...
    Posted: January 15 2012 at 2:18am
So you intentionally insult others, and you think it's ok for you to do that?  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Originally posted by GTAHater767

So Adam Sandler demands roughly 19 to 20 Megadollars for each film. How many actors demand more?

And, at least as far as I'm convinced, planetary box office matters more than domestic.
There are 2 reasons why I can't take "planetary" box-office very seriously:

1. In a given country, or significant portion there of, I have no real information as to how many options the film-goers may have at any given time. It could well be that global box-office totals can be skewed by some meglomaniac like the most recent incarnation of the North Korean dynasty who only permits the citizenry to see Adam Sandler flicks because he personally likes them.

2. The plurality of the world's population thinks that soccer is a really cool sport. Case Closed.Wink
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 8:53am
The only people he insulted were the leader of North Korea (a lunatic) and fans of soccer, which a lot of people also hate.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 9:43am
1)I can assure you that, aside from 3rd World countries and countries with dictators, box-office results are similar.
2)I'm not a fan, but I still think it's better than your version of football. You see, Latinamerican hooligans are as dangerous as the british hooligans. In a football game, the players don't tackle one another, so that means there are less dead bodies.LOL

1. In a given country, or significant portion there of, I have no real information as to how many options the film-goers may have at any given time. It could well be that global box-office totals can be skewed by some meglomaniac like the most recent incarnation of the North Korean dynasty who only permits the citizenry to see Adam Sandler flicks because he personally likes them.

2. The plurality of the world's population thinks that soccer is a really cool sport. Case Closed.Wink

I'm pretty sure the wink means "I'm kidding!"LOL 

Originally posted by oiram

So you intentionally insult others and its ok for you to do that?

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 11:59am
Sometimes, but certainly not always true. In fact, certain countries and regions of the world show pronounced bias towards attending movies in certain genres. I won't necessarily suggest that American taste is demonstrably superior to the rest of the world, just that box-office numbers can be skewed for that reason.

Originally posted by Vits

1)I can assure you that, aside from 3rd World countries and countries with dictators, box-office results are similar.

2)I'm not a fan, but I still think it's better than your version of football. You see, Latinamerican hooligans are as dangerous as the british hooligans. In a football game, the players don't tackle one another, so that means there are less dead bodies.LOL
Ever heard of an American football riot? No. The reason there are soccer riots is because the game is so painfully boring the fans have to amuse themselves somehow! LOLWink But, permit me to offer one bit of praise for soccer. We teach it to 5 year-olds in order to find out whether or not they have sufficent athletic aptitude to play real sports. Smile
Originally posted by oiram

So you intentionally insult others and its ok for you to do that?
I'm pretty sure the wink means "I'm kidding!".
True...but then again, it is okay because I'm on a mission from God...even though I don't believe there is one!  LOL Wink  
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 12:58pm
"I won't necessarily suggest that American taste is demonstrably superior to the rest of the world"

Not guessing your opinion about it, but I honestly, seriously think no other country on the planet owns the "let's build it up, just to tear it down" mentality like the Americans.
The hype that is build around some movies or franchises, as well as the trashing afterwards.
I like that different countries have different tastes, and some go almost totally uneffected by what's "in" in America. They like or dislike a movie and the work behind it for what it is.
And that's how it should be.

Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 2:34pm
I remember once being in an English sportsbar with an openly gay friend of mine.... American Football was on TV and we started talking about the sport, at one point he said "There is actually something very gay about being paid to jump on top of other men".... The smartest remark I ever heard about any sport....
I remember Holland winning the Baseball World Cup a couple of months link.... No one in my country (including me) even knew that we had baseball team....

Originally posted by vits

Ever heard of an American football riot? No. The reason there are soccer riots is because the game is so painfully boring the fans have to amuse themselves somehow! LOLWink But, permit me to offer one bit of praise for soccer. We teach it to 5 year-olds in order to find out whether or not they have sufficent athletic aptitude to play real sports. Smile

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 3:43am
So I'm guessing Next Week's Worst of the Weak pick is Underworld Awakening? Though, HeadRAZZ could surprise us and choose Red Tails instead.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 7:40am
An unnecessary sequel* vs a late Oscar-baiter with Razzie repeat offenders? I think the question should be "Which will be the #1 Worst New Movie... and which will be #2?"  

*I haven't seen the other 3 UNDERWORLD movies, but rarely is a 4th installment needed.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 8:28am
I've stated my opinion, but here is the fact upon which it is based: For any given movie released in the United States, I can easily pull up accurate statistics for how many screens it is playing on in any given week, and if I want to dig a little, I can even find out where the numbers are coming from. As an example, if some future release of Dukes of Hazzard 2 is drawing surprisingly big opening numbers, and I dig into the numbers and find out that it is playing on an exceptionally large number of screens in Alabama and Mississippi, those numbers make sense. For international numbers, all I can ever really get are the grosses. It is almost impossible to find out exactly where those numbers are coming from which makes the data pretty worthless.

Originally posted by mbh

"I won't necessarily suggest that American taste is demonstrably superior to the rest of the world"

Not guessing your opinion about it, but I honestly, seriously think no other country on the planet owns the "let's build it up, just to tear it down" mentality like the Americans.
The hype that is build around some movies or franchises, as well as the trashing afterwards.
I like that different countries have different tastes, and some go almost totally uneffected by what's "in" in America. They like or dislike a movie and the work behind it for what it is.
And that's how it should be.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 11:52am
Depending on the country. Some of the European countries do have the data available. People just don't know where or how to find them, especially if it's in another language and they are unfamiliar with the distributer.
I'm not claiming that every country is well organized. But I doubt that the data provided is "pretty worthless" just because the screen numbers aren't found as easily as the numbers for North American screens.
I haven't taken the time to look into it, but I personally would be curious about cinemas in the Middle Eastern Region. I have a friend in Bosnia, who is into movies, and he said they get most of the American movies there. But I of course would not know where to check or how to find any of their numbers, so I understand what you are critisizing when we have the totals but not the screens and don't even know if it was a good screen average or the income of a movie is a hit for that country.

mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:38pm
"In fact, certain countries and regions of the world show pronounced bias towards attending movies in certain genres." 

Can you give an example?  
I'm not talking about the ones rejecting all kinds of movies because of their supposed bad messages, but did you find a certain pattern in different coutries? That would be interesting.  
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 4:17pm
I just sent my ballot in. I used two write-ins: Adam Sandler in Zookeeper for Worst Supporting Actor and Katherine Heigl in New Year's Eve for Worst Supporting Actress.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 5:39pm
I think the real question should be, will Red Tails actually get an Official Forum?  

Originally posted by Vits

An unnecessary sequel* vs a late Oscar-baiter with Razzie repeat offenders? I think the question should be "Which will be the #1 Worst New Movie... and which will be #2?"  

*I haven't seen the other 3 UNDERWORLD movies, but rarely is a 4th installment needed.
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 5:14am
The Golden Globe results are but a day old, and already the BAFTA nominations have come a knocking on our doors - LINK.

You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 7:15am
Yes...Westerns have always been disproportionately popular in Eastern European countries...that has been true for decades. As a second and more specific example, comedies have always done better in Italy than in the other European countries as a whole and they also do much better than average in Canada. The U.S. shows higher appreciation for police and action movies than the world as a whole, while martial arts films out perform the worldwide average in Japan by a significant percentage. My source on this is a study conducted by Dr.  Alain d'Astous of the University of Florida, Professor Francois Colbert of HEC Montreal and Veronique Nobert of HEC Montreal. And yes, while it is true that it is possible to dig up reasonably concise data for Europe, that is a rather small percentage of the global data set, so yes, the overall data is difficult to evalutate. Further, a lot of American movies don't make it into China and southeast Asia, so again, the data is skewed. 

Originally posted by mbh

"In fact, certain countries and regions of the world show pronounced bias towards attending movies in certain genres."

Can you give an example?
I'm not talking about the ones rejecting all kinds of movies because of their supposed bad messages, but did you find a certain pattern in different coutries? That would be interesting.

mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 1:20pm
Firstly, thanks for providing that source. That subject is highly interesting to me. I understand they don't have any facts to prove it, but too bad that they don't throw out a few more examples. And I wished they could have taken the UK, Germany or African countries into the group.
One of my theories is, for fifty years or longer, they sold the "American Dream" story. And with no internet and high flight prices, not too many people were able to prove it either way. The idea of the Wild West and big romance definitely had something intriguing for a lot of people.
Nowadays people realize America is struggling just like everybody else. But even if the preferences have shifted, people still like to escape reality and be sucked into the movieworld. Too bad that I, for one, think what we are being presented, not only by Hollywood, gets worse and worse.

Secondly, while it is annoying when I can't find the data I want to know about for a certain country, I don't have a reason to mistrust the results any country is providing. I'll take whatever is provided, and I don't think it skews the overall impression of the success of a movie in general.
I admit, the worldwide success of Transformers 3 did startle me a bit. Your example of the Adam Sandler loving, korean meglomaniac is funny, but when you say you don't take the global box office too seriously it's good enough. I think that's how most people handle it, at least for some countries. I also keep wondering about some statistics, e.g. New Zealand joined with Fiji, but the data is good enough for me.

Now, what bothers me and drove me personally away from giving to much credit to many American critics and in some rare cases the box office of a movie, is, when you look through their write ups, the snark is unbearable, and so is the hype. Funny enough, I don't see myself owning the charachteristics of a person who mainly relies on critics described in the article, anyways.
Even if you excuse it with unfullfilled quality expectations and cultural values, they do influence the box office in a positiv or negative way. You can have all the data you want, but every now and then a movie is under- or overrated, independent on the quality. There's nothing one can do about it, but it does frustrate me. I try to be as flexible as possible and to see it from different perspectives, but I think we all know a movie or two which has not had the success it deserved, and more so here, we know about movies which are overrated.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 113>