Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > Forum Members' DISCUSSION of 2012 Releases List...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Here 'Tis...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 113>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here 'Tis...
    Posted: February 26 2012 at 7:56pm
wtp, that's the 9001st time I've read that today.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Winter's Tale
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 8:45pm
In terms of Oscar predictions, I got 66.6666666...% correct. Did anyone else do this good?
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Winter's Tale
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 8:59pm
I was extremely pleased that The Incredible Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore pulled off the upset over La Luna in the Best Animated Short category. That was an absolutely delightful little film with its hommage to books and loveable Buster Keaton character. Overall, the Academy Awards show was pretty much of a snoozer. On the plus side, the Republicans must be steaming that an essentially French film managed to win Best Picture. Big smile
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

In terms of Oscar predictions, I got 66.6666666...% correct. Did anyone else do this good?
That's better than me. I got 15/24 right, which is 62.5%.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 9:26pm

....and to add insult to injury, and Iranian film took home Best Foreign Film honors and a Pakistani film won Best Documentary Short...there is apoplexy in Republican land tonight LOL

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 9:34pm
I didn't post my predictions here, but my results were about as humdrum as the show itself...13 out of 24
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by whatsthepoint

Sandler doesn't care. He's laughing his way to the bank.

That's what most of them do, apart from Nicolas Cage.
And still, having 99.9% of the commenters agreeing that you are a sh*t actor with sh*t movies, while you thought highly of your own work and acting skills, won't leave anybody cold.

whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

I got about sixty percent of them correct. I knew that Streep was going to win best actress, despite the fact that someone else I knew thought that Viola Davis was going to win. I knew because it's been nearly thirty years since Streep won her last one.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by mbh

And still, having 99.9% of the commenters agreeing that you are a sh*t actor with sh*t movies, while you thought highly of your own work and acting skills, won't leave anybody cold.

Actually I don't think that Sandler is a sh*tty actor, especially when he's being serious,  but when he makes comedies, he can be dangerous.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 10:38pm
I was just looking at an interesting poll on Yahoo...the question was, Which movie did you want to win the Best Picture Oscar? The favorite of the respondants, by a rather wide margin was The Help with 39% of the vote. The Artist was running 2nd, with about 17% offering that it deserved to win. Moneyball was running 3rd with about 11%, followed by The Descendants at just over 10%, War Horse at a little over 10% and the rest of the field at 13% total. That was all based on somewhat over 12,000 responses.
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 10:55pm

Originally posted by mbh

Actually I don't think that Sandler is a sh*tty actor, especially when he's being serious,  but when he makes comedies, he can be dangerous.

You are right. He hardly can be called an actor, since he plays most of his characters the same way anyways.
I'll give him that, he gets critisized for not branching out, but if he does, he's told he's better off sticking to comedy. But after this years ceremony hopefully he won't believe that any more.
Ridiciulous to watch him putting out Jack&Jill and all the other crap, and then appearing during the Oscars to give his opinion about movies. Oh the irony!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 4:26am

Actually his attempts at serious work have received general good response with films like Punch Drunk Love, and Spanglish (only problem being that films like those don't any money). I have no idea where you got that opinion from (it's only your opinion). Of course Mbh you clearly hate Adam Sandler, so I did expect you to say that.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 5:55am
Once again I was pleased with the Oscars. The fact that HUGO won 5 before THE ARTIST and THE DESCENDANTS won anything made me think that it could've won. Of course I realized that, like last year, it could tie with the Best Picture winner for the most wins. That actually took away the competition in Best Actor and Director, because THE ARTIST needed them to get 4. But I was shocked at Best Actress. It was clear that if Viola Davis looses people would be so angry.

Here in Chile, each year a group of critics and/or experts comment on the nominees during commercials. My favorite quotes (because I found them funny, I didn't necessarily agree) were these:

"This is a conspiracy. They give the award to a foreign film because they think that's supporting art? How do they support art by awarding a movie that tries to show what Silent Films were, when it's actually the simplistic version of them? Hazanavicious seemed like he just finished studying A.V.".

"I think Christopher Plummer's win was more a debt settlement. If anything, he should've won but for THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO. And how do they put rookie Jonah Hill with those legends?".

"It didn't deserved it. Anyone that could afford a computer could afford the '80s software that created the visual effects in HUGO".

"Best Documentary went to UNDEFEATED, the only nominee without any relevant thing to say about society".
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 8:09am
People sure do love "The Help."
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I was just looking at an interesting poll on Yahoo...the question was, Which movie did you want to win the Best Picture Oscar? The favorite of the respondants, by a rather wide margin was The Help with 39% of the vote. The Artist was running 2nd, with about 17% offering that it deserved to win. Moneyball was running 3rd with about 11%, followed by The Descendants at just over 10%, War Horse at a little over 10% and the rest of the field at 13% total. That was all based on somewhat over 12,000 responses.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 10:26am
I got 12 out of 24 correct.  "The Artist" won Best Picture and it deserved it.  However, over the history of the Oscars, there have been a number of Best Picture winners that many people feel didn't deserve the honor.  Based on critical consensus and my own personal input, here are the Top 10 Worst Best Picture Winners of all time:

10. Rocky - Many people say that this film is a classic, but there are a lot of people who complain that some of its competitors, like "All the Presidents Men" and "Taxi Driver" were better.  Had this movie not won Best Picture, not many people would've known who Sylvester Stallone was and he probably wouldn't have made all those sequels.  The franchise began its descent after the third movie and then Stallone started making films that were way below Oscar standards.  He appeared in everything from stupid musicals ("Rhinestone") to dull action films ("Cobra") to embarrassing comedies ("Stop or My Mom will Shoot").  I'm sure a lot of people would like to see him retire before that scene in "Airplane II" becomes reality.

9. Dances with Wolves - This movie's Best Picture win ticked a lot of people off and some people who witnessed it still haven't gotten over it.  Many people say that this didn't deserve the win over "Goodfellas", while others claim that the two films are equal in terms of greatness.  I myself can't help but think that somehow the memory of this upset derailed the Razzie Awards in 1998.  I don't see how Costner's "The Postman" was worse than "Batman & Robin", but I'm pretty sure there was payback involved in that decision.

8. Out of Africa - Not only was this decision controversial, but almost all of the Oscars given in 1987 were controversial.  Why is that?  Because "The Color Purple", the film that probably should have gotten Best Picture didn't win a single award.  This was evidence that racism still existed in the Academy's voting at that this decision by all means is unforgivable.

7. Driving Miss Daisy - This movie takes a look at the horrors of racism and shows a compromise between African-American and Caucasian.  There were also horrors of racism in the Academy voting.  For example, the film that should've gotten Best Picture, Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" wasn't even nominated for Best Picture.  The problem that plagued the 1987 Oscars still existed in the 1990 Oscars.  Progress towards resolving this problem began in 1991 when Whoopi Goldberg won an Oscar for "Ghost".  Italy's "Life is Beautiful" and Taiwan's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" got Best Picture nods in 1999 and 2001.  In 2002, Halle Berry and Denzel Washington got Oscars for "Monster's Ball" and "Training Day".  In 2003, the Japanese film "Spirited Away" won Best Animated Feature.

6. Shakespeare in Love - Racism was not the only problem that plagued the Academy Awards.  Scandal has also played a role in some of the Oscar's decisions.  Harvey Weinstein campaigned for this movie to win Best Picture by smearing the film that should've gotten the honor, "Saving Private Ryan".  This in turn caused the Academy to make one of the biggest mistakes in its history.  Ever since then, Weinstein's influence has made the Oscars look rigged.  This is evident in their unforgivable snubbing of "The Dark Knight" in favor of "The Reader" in 2009.  Though his Best Picture wins for "The King's Speech" and "The Artist" were more on the mark than others.

5. Around the World in 80 Days - This adaptation of a Jules Verne novel is nothing special, but did really deserve to win Best Picture over classics like "The King and I" and "The Ten Commandments"?  I don't think so.

4. The Greatest Show on Earth - It must've been a pretty weak year for movies if this is what the Academy named Best Picture of 1952.  Of the five films nominated, only two really stood out: "High Noon" and "The Quiet Man".  That's a shame.

3. How Green Was My Valley - I don't know where to begin here.  The Academy must've had a few flaws in its decision for Best Picture of 1941.  I really don't see how this film about Welsh miners is better than "Citizen Kane", Orson Welles's groundbreaking film noir that changed the face of filmmaking for years.  In terms of film awards, this decision is probably 'the crime of the century'.

2. Titanic - When choosing which film should win Best Picture, one should consider how well-made the film is, how good the acting is, how good the direction is, and how good the script is.  How popular is it with the people usually isn't a factor, but in 1998, it seemed to be the only factor.  Of the movies that came out in 1997, this film was not exactly the best by any of the other three conditions, but it made lots of money.  Academy members just didn't want to be heartbreakers by giving Best Picture to a more well-made film like "L.A. Confidential" or "Good Will Hunting".  That pressure made the Academy look foolish.

1. Crash - Racism and scandal may have plagued the Oscars in the past, but no villain plays a bigger role in Oscar controversy than politics.  Politics had a strong influence on the Academy's nominees for Best Picture of 2005.  You had "Munich", which told the story of Israel's retaliation attacks in response to the assassinations at the 1972 Olympics; "Capote", which followed author Truman Capote creating the nonfiction book, In Cold Blood; "Good Night, and Good Luck", which explored the conflict between journalist Edward Murrow and Senator Joseph McCarthy; and "Brokeback Mountain", which told the tale of a relationship between two cowboys.  What won the award?  This confusing drama that focuses on four different stories about racial and social tension is California.  The other four nominees had great stories to tell, but this one was just too confusing to follow.  When the announcement was made at the Oscars, the Academy hit an all-time low in popularity and relevancy.  This may go down as the worst decision in Oscar history.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 10:50am

Um Rocky was the highest grossing film of 1976. Regardless of oscars, there still would have been sequels and Stallone would have still become a household name.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 113>