Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > Forum Members' DISCUSSION of 2012 Releases List...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Here 'Tis...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 113>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here 'Tis...
    Posted: October 07 2012 at 11:50am

To Vits: Well, you missed something. I didn't only say "Trends". I said "Trends/Events". What I missed was that I should've used the word "Moments" instead of "Events".

To oiram: Maybe it'll make things easier, but based on current knowledge of the next 13 days or so, we're going to need forums for Here Comes the Boom, Alex Cross, and Atlas Shrugged Part II, which will be limited released on the same day as Here Comes the Boom (Oct. 12).

To all else: Speaking of Atlas Shrugged Part II, does anyone know whether Worst Excuse For a Political Film will have 3 or 5 finalists in the event of that being our special category this year?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 12:10pm
In case there can't be 3 Worst Movies of the Week (I don't think I've ever read that it's a rule), then the main choice should be HERE COMES THE BOOM, then ATLAS SHRUGGED PART II, and then ALEX CROSS. Why? Because a lot of Happy Madison productions have won Razzies. The first ATLAS SHRUGGED was all over the ballots (including Worst Picture), but wasn't nominated for anything. Probably because not enough people saw it, and that may happen again because this sequel is also on limited release. And Tyler Perry's movies (no matter the genre) have never been nominated, and they're all too similar to tell apart, meaning that this one won't offend viewers as much as the other 2.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 2:15pm
Alex Cross is not really a Tyler Perry movie in the sense that he did not produce, write, or direct it. Rob Cohen is the director and, like I said before, his track record is not too impressive.

EDIT: Okay, So Atlas Shrugged Part 2 is inevitable. Well, okay, I don't have a problem with. I just really hope Alex Cross gets an official forum. I do not see why one would not consider the fact that Tyler Perry could be nominated for Worst Actor AND Worst Actress. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: For the curious, here are IMDb links for info on ALEX CROSS, and HERE COMES THE BOOM. Although both look kinda promising, neither has the RAZZIE® potential of ATLAS SHRUGGED, PART 2, one of those movies whose berry existence is a mystery (it's a sequel to a movie which got 89% Negative reviews at RT, cost $20 million and grossed less than $5m, yet somehow walked away w/out a single 2011 RAZZIE® nomination). It is my assumption that, with its tenuous connection to GOP VP contender Paul Ryan, perhaps this second travesty of an Ayn Rand adaptation will get enough attention for its awfulness that this one could be a contender...   

UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: I just checked, and both R.T. and B.O. MoJo say that ALEX CROSS does not open until October 19th...

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 3:08pm
HeadRAZZ has chosen ATLAS SHRUGGED PART II. That's fine, as long he still considers HERE COMES THE BOOM and ALEX CROSS.

Edit: Oiram edited his post at the same time that I was posting this!
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 12:12pm

Sad to hear about Alex Karras. I didn't know that he was Mongo in Blazing Saddles though.

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 12:37pm
Trailer for Hitchcock.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Having read multiple biographies of Alfred Hitchcock (and at least two books on the making of PSYCHO) my first impression is that this film is historically inaccurate to the point of nearly being fiction -- But it also looks like a Bloody Good Time at the Movies (which is, after all, what Hitch himself always strove to provide). 

I will reserve judgment on Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Sir Alfred until I've seen the film -- But in this trailer, it looks like almost as Latex-laden and distant an impersonation as he did playing the title role in Oliver Stone's biopic of NIXON (arguably the worst work done to date by either Oliver or Anthony!)... 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 1:04pm
HERE COMES THE BOOM first reviews are great. If it stays that way, then we won't have to overthink which will be the Bonus Worst New Movie.
Originally posted by oiram

Trailer for Hitchcock.
Why wasn't Scarlett Johansson listed? Because she's not an Oscar winner unlike the other 2? So what? She's still an A-lister.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2012 at 8:16am
New releases here: HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA, THE CAMPAIGN, 360*, and THE EXPENDABLES 2. What should I do?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: If you are a Voting Member, I'd recommend you see EXPENDABLES, TOO, the likeliest RAZZIE® Contender on that list -- If it's being released theatrically this late in the year, it's unlikely to be available on video there before Nominating Ballots will be due...

*Was this even released in the U.S.? Will it be?   

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry II: Just checked and, though I couldn't tell you what it's about or who is in it, 360 is listed on our Eligible 2012 Releases List...
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2012 at 8:46am
FUN FOOTNOTE from Ye Ol' Head RAZZberry: When I went over to Rotten Tomatoes just now to see if any reviews were in yet on next week's likely Worst of the Weak pick ALEX CROSS (no reviews yet) I noticed that another title, only being given limited theatrical release, has to date achieved a PERFECT ZERO RATING: It's the Sew-My-Mouth-Shut-and-Call-Me-a-Slasher flick SMILEY. Though it's unlikely to be available to most of our Voting Members, here's a LINK to read the film's Truly Scary Reviews at R.T. 

By the way, the film's poster (shown postage stamp size in the R.T. listing) looks like a bizarre mishap occurred with an eggplant!  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2012 at 11:35am
Oh, that film -- I've heard about it. The trailer on YouTube has a surprisingly large number of views, more even than for most trailers for strongly anticipated wide release films.  

Keith David and Roger Bart are in it (which saddens me, though I don't think they're in it for too long). The one famous person in the movie (the one who has the biggest role) is Shane Dawson, who is a YouTube Partner (vomits).    

Thing is, like you said, probably not something that most voting members will be able to see, but interesting nonetheless... 

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

FUN FOOTNOTE from Ye Ol' Head RAZZberry: When I went over to Rotten Tomatoes just now to see if any reviews were in yet on next week's likely Worst of the Weak pick ALEX CROSS (no reviews yet) I noticed that another title, only being given limited theatrical release, has to date achieved a PERFECT ZERO RATING: It's the Sew-My-Mouth-Shut-and-Call-Me-a-Slasher flick SMILEY. Though it's unlikely to be available to most of our Voting Members, here's a LINK to read the film's Truly Scary Reviews at R.T.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2012 at 5:44pm
Although the numbers on HERE COMES THE BOOM dropped, it's only an average movie, which is great considering the expectations. And 3, 2, 1... FRANKIE GO BOOM has, aside from a similar title, a similar rating, just as I predicted.

This was kind of a good week. ARGO and 7 PSYCHOPATHS are as good as expected, and SINISTER is as good as the premise suggested.

If you are a Voting Member, I'd recommend you see EXPENDABLES, TOO, the likeliest RAZZIE® Contender on that list -- If it's being released theatrically this late in the year, it's unlikely to be available on video there before Nominating Ballots will be due...
But I'm not a voting member -- Should I still see it?

When I went over to Rotten Tomatoes just now to see if any reviews were in yet on next week's likely Worst of the Weak pick ALEX CROSS (no reviews yet) I noticed that another title, only being given limited theatrical release, has to date achieved a PERFECT ZERO RATING: It's the Sew-My-Mouth-Shut-and-Call-Me-a-Slasher flick SMILEY. Though it's unlikely to be available to most of our Voting Members, here's a LINK to read the film's Truly Scary Reviews at R.T. 

By the way, the film's poster (shown postage stamp size in the R.T. listing) looks like a bizarre mishap occurred with an eggplant!
But there's less than 10 reviews.
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2012 at 11:06pm
VITS: It's surprising to me that you are not a voting member. I assumed you were, hence my little speeches about seeing a movie "out of Razzie loyalty" or Razzie order. You never corrected me.

The voting is the most exciting part for me, and I got my way two years in a row. Apart from loving movies, I used to profile potential self harmers. Believe me, if these guys don't want you to know things, they throw out performances all kinds of Oscar worthy. They make many actors look like fools or unbelievable.

And also, life writes the most bizzarre stories, not some script writer. But me and some friends wrote a comedy script a few years ago while studying, and gave it to a professional writer. He thought it was good... and that it had zero chance to be picked up. Yet there are so many pretentious scripts being made into movies.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 11:43am
I can still watch movies out of Razzie loyalty, in the sense that I can write "For your consideration" posts in the forums.

Originally posted by mbh

And also, life writes the most bizzarre stories, not some script writer. But me and some friends wrote a comedy script a few years ago while studying, and gave it to a professional writer. He thought it was good... and that it had zero chance to be picked up.

May I ask why? Unless you don't wanna reveal the content until you sell it.
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 1:01pm
Sure, but I thought you were interested because you wanted to vote. My mistake.

No problem to reveal the content, since it landed in the trash bin a long time ago. It did have a few clichés, and mind you, it was written by a bunch of psychology/literature/philosophy/media students -- but it was fun.

It was about a young man in his twenties, whose dad owned a company and wanted his son to take over soon, but the son was missing the grit that was needed and was too free spirited.
So we took all kinds of common psycholgical methods and reasons, to show how things CAN work out in theory and how they DON'T work in reality (or the other way aroundz). Or at least, how the results differ sometimes, depending on many factors. 

However, in the case of our script, we made the protagonist work with the idea that whenever he had to face a challenge, he would imagine how his favorite TV characters would handle it (since in the real world nowadays, there aren't too many "heroes" left to look up to). In the end, he finds a niche in the market, charms our lovely dear grandmas, builds a business based on food and in the end is ready to take over the company.

There was a lot more to it, but this is it in very short form. 

As far as I remember, among other things we were criticized for the following: 

- we had written out the mother to complicate the process  

- we had no sexy girls in it, even though it was a comedy 

- the costs to use all the brand-name products were sky high 

- we were little nobodies 

- it was a little bit undermined with a critic of psychological material and possibilities used by the common media, government and others (mind-games, fooling, manipulating) as well as of our built-up-tear-it-down-throw-away society

EDIT: forgot one thing 

- showing old ladies arguing/fighting was supposedly a disgrace (even though it was meant to show how you can rile up people at any age discussing the right subject)  

EDIT II: maybe we did go too far with that scene

EDIT III: I just realized, it's too difficult to discuss the problems without you having read the script. There was also a part about expectations and pressure about having a job and future anxiety, and having to find something you can stand for. But to get to the essence of that online is too complicated.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 2:25pm
Mbh: Will you try to write another screenplay, with your same friends? 

Originally posted by mbh

No problem to reveal the content, since it landed in the trash bin a long time ago. It did have a few clichés, and mind you, it was written by a bunch of psychology/literature/philosophy/media students -- but it was fun.

Oh! 

Originally posted by mbh

- we had written out the mother to complicate the process
So originally she helped her son? You guys were totally studying Psychology.
LOL
Originally posted by mbh

- we had no sexy girls in it, even though it was a comedy

Is that a bad thing?

Originally posted by mbh

- the costs to use all the brand-name products were sky high

Couldn't you have used made up brands?  

Originally posted by mbh

- we were little nobodies

-- And so is every guy with a laptop at Starbucks! I don't think that's a good reason to say a piece of writing is bad. 

Originally posted by mbh

- showing old ladies arguing/fighting was supposedly a disgrace (even though it was meant to show how you can rile up people at any age discussing the right subject)  

EDIT II: maybe we did go too far with that scene

Were the old ladies having an actual physical fight? 
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 3:13pm
I'll answer your questions in order, Vits:  

We wrote the script in 1999. Times have changed, a lot of stuff has been covered. I hardly keep up with what the other four are doing now. In 2003, I had written another one, a heavy drama, again about a psychological subject, that no average moviegoer wants to see nowadays. But I freaking hate most RomComs, and nothing else really inspired me.

Yes, originally there was a mother, but we thought that was too easy and we hated having it being too predictable.  

Yes, indeed, not having sexy girls was considered a bad thing. But we had no desire to distract from the main story.  

Great idea, too bad that nobody came up with that idea back then. Or maybe someone did, I just forgot. Yet one of the fun things was having well known characters in the movie, so people could connect.

Noone at all thought the script was bad, but it was unlikely to get the attention it needed. Internet wasn't what it is today.

They were, and I f**king peed myself in laughter when we were developing that scene. One of us directed his 89 year old greatgrandmother and her 86 year old friend to check out if it was possible to film it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 113>