Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FEEDBACK on 2008 RAZZIE® NOMs & "WINNERS"... > TELL US WHATCHA THINK of OUR CHOICES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Here’s Where 2 Put In Yer 2-Cents...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here’s Where 2 Put In Yer 2-Cents...
    Posted: January 28 2009 at 2:44am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I had only one significant disappointment with the final list of nominees. I have long expressed my objection to Uwe Boll winning the career award at this time. I feel it sets a dangerous precedent for 3 reasons:

1. He is still young enough to right the ship...unlikely, but not impossible. 2. Despite claims that his career is near its end, I seriously doubt that. In fact, I suspect that this guy is going to be around for awhile, and the worst is yet to come. By definition, Career Achievemen Awards are one time shots, and we may well be dishonoring Boll far too early. 3. We simply haven't even discussed much more appropriate candidates.

Sorry saturnwatcher, that the man you thought was least worthy of the Career Award won. Yes, he's still young, and although his career is on life support, it's not 100% over; but then again, with the list we were given to choose from, only Madonna officially retired from movies. But, every one of Uwe Boll's movies suck big time. Every aspect from the script, the acting, the editing and even the props. Boll might have had a boyhood dream of making movies, however he thinks the process is just pointing the camera at something and yelling "action" and "cut" without putting any thought into it.

He does have projects lined up, but if they are going to be produced or released in theaters or DVD at all is up in the air. His last movie "Tunnel Rats" opened in only ONE theater. "Fear Cry" and "Seed" are all but DVD bound. "BloodRayne 3" and "Zombie Massacre" are in pre-production Hades for who knows how long, etc. I wouldn't say his career is over just yet, but it certainly isn't going anywhere fast.

I do understand why he got the award in the first place. His "following" is mostly through the Internet, and since no TV network will host an award show that mocks movies that are released by the same studios that own the TV networks, the Razzies' following is online as well. So you would think it's natural for a hack director whose following is online would win in an award show whose following is also online.

If you ask me, since the Oscars give out an honorary Oscar every year, perhaps the Razzies should counter it by giving out a Career Award every year as well. If we do that, the likes of Stallone and Madonna won't be able to avoid us forever. But I for one, who has seen most of Boll's work, agree with the choice voters made, and I am glad that a man who has NO right whatsoever to be given a greenlight is getting the disrespect that he rightfully deserves.

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 9:38am

I have acknowledged Boll's victory and stated my concerns. I object less to Boll's victory than I do to the simple fact that no real criteria have been established for eligibility. I think that going foward, criteria need to be established if the Razzies are going to present Lifetime Achievement Awards, lest we end up with a string of "flavor of the month" candidates.

In general, I believe that Head Razz has set up the various awards to reflect the same criteria established for awarding the other categories. Similarly, AMPAS does have criteria for their special awards, under which Boll almost certainly would not have been eligible at this date. It is certainly too late to overturn this particular decison now, but there is now opportunity to make similar awards to individuals who turn in one bad performance, at which point there is no reason to permit the award in the future.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 12:56pm

In general, I believe that Head Razz has set up the various awards to reflect the same criteria established for awarding the other categories. Similarly, AMPAS does have criteria for their special awards, under which Boll almost certainly would not have been eligible at this date. It is certainly too late to overturn this particular decison now, but there is now opportunity to make similar awards to individuals who turn in one bad performance, at which point there is no reason to permit the award in the future.

I guess so. Thing is, this is the same award that was last given to a shark prop. What criteria would the award be under? Head Razz, you're thoughts? 

Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 4:22am

I think it's also worth noting that Pierce Brosnan was the narrator in the Thomas & Friends movie "The Great Discovery" this year (yes, I still watch the show, bite me)

He did an ok job although he narrated a bit too quietly but I still I liked the movie and it was better than the first two which were boring and badly written.

And if you guys as much as go anywhere near any of my favourite childhood shows with your Rassberries, I'll give ya a Golden Turkey to the noggin!

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 7:25am

Brosnan was nominated because of his dreadful singing in Momma Mia. In general, he hasn't turned in a lot of bad acting performances in his various roles over the years, but anyone with such a complete lack of talent for singing should have known better than to take on a signficant role in a musical.

Your favorite childhood shows are probably safe from our wrath, providing that no one attempts to translate them into bad movies.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 7:34am

I guess I should express one other disappointment in this year's field of nominees. It is almost incomprehensible that the year's most apalling stinker, Strange Wilderness didn't manage to find a single spot anywhere on the final ballot. I realize that I must endure the dubious distinction of being one of a very small handful of people that actually saw this trainwreck of a movie, but to let it slip by unscathed is difficult to comprehend.

I suppose that what we have here can be attributed to a phenomenon that might appropriately be henceforth referred to as "A Sound of Thunder Syndrome": any movie so unabashedly awful that not enough voters end up seeing it to give it the Razzing it deserves. I'm not entirely comfortable with the distinction of being perhaps the only human being on the planet that has seen both of these films.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 10:34am

Then again, Strange Wilderness was released in theaters (and onto DVD soon there after) in such a sneaky manner that it almost escaped the Razzie radar altogether. But, in the end, the movies that deserve being razzed the most -the works of Uwe Boll and Seltzerberg- have all the best spots and best chances of being razzed -- and that's what counts. 

I guess I should express one other disappointment in this year's field of nominees. It is almost incomprehensible that the year's most apalling stinker, Strange Wilderness didn't manage to find a single spot anywhere on the final ballot. I realize that I must endure the dubious distinction of being one of a very small handful of people that actually saw this trainwreck of a movie, but to let it slip by unscathed is difficult to comprehend.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 12:16pm

I don't know if it was exactly sneaked into theaters, but most of the theatrical trailers were never played. It got a little television advertising post release, but it bombed so completely that it didn't stay long in theaters. For my money, it was easily the worst film of the year. For what it is worth, and this may come as a surprise to many, I ended up casting my vote for Disaster Movie/Meet the Spartans as Worst Picture, not because I felt either or both were the worst movie/movies of the year, but because they were the worst of the final five....what a strange year it was...I finally got to cast a vote for President for a man I actually admire and respect, but I think we sort of missed the boat on the Worst Picture nominees here.

MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 4:35pm

My Razzie ballot just came in and I'm coming up with some questions to set the moment:

Which of these is the film equivalent of the Detroit Lions?  Which film is so bad, it's gonna have a hard time finding a spot on cable TV?  Which film should have been questioned before showing itself in theatres?  Who's career is about to end with a bang?  Who needs to leave Hollywood and not come back?  Which film's tagline is "Watch at your own risk"?  Who thinks the Oscars are a Spanish awards show?  Who can't last 15 minutes watching their own film?  Did Disaster Movie live up to it's name?  Is this the fall of Mock Sparta?  Would people rather not know what's Happening?  Is it bad enough that the Hottie and the Nottie lacks a hottie?  Will Chris Taylor get his revenge on Uwe Boll?  Does the thought of two elephants humping each other seem bad enough to get the Big Five?  It's time to decide the recipients and it's time to vote for the Weakest Link.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2009 at 1:13am

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

Which of these is the film equivalent of the Detroit Lions? 

Seeing as how it didn't break even with it's budget, "In The Name Of The King".

Which film is so bad, it's gonna have a hard time finding a spot on cable TV?

"Disaster Movie", some serious editing has to be done to it.

Which film should have been questioned before showing itself in theatres?

That would be "all of the above". 

Who's career is about to end with a bang?  Who needs to leave Hollywood and not come back?

Oh, that's easy, Uwe Boll, and WE are the ones who will provide the "bang".

Which film's tagline is "Watch at your own risk"?

Again, "all of the above".

Who thinks the Oscars are a Spanish awards show?

No doubt Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian.

Who can't last 15 minutes watching their own film?

Once again, "all of the above".

Did Disaster Movie live up to it's name?

Oh yes!

Would people rather not know what's Happening?

It would help if something we like to call "logic" happened in the movie.

Is it bad enough that the Hottie and the Nottie lacks a hottie?

How about the fact the movie was made, period?  

Will Chris Taylor get his revenge on Uwe Boll?

Not if Boll gives him some of his pot .... holders .... that he has been selling lately in order to make ends meet for the budget to "BloodRayne 3". 

Does the thought of two elephants humping each other seem bad enough to get the Big Five?

Seeing as how it wasn't a Discovery Channel: After Dark program, yeah!

Hope that answers everything for you.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2009 at 4:23pm
I didn't necessarily expect someone to give answers, but okay.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2009 at 7:08am
With the Razzie Awards Ceremony on the horizon, I decided to make this.  The purpose of this poll is to find out the outside public's thoughts on who should win what.  If you're a non-voting member and would like to cast your vote for who you think should win these awards, go to the link above.  You can only vote for one nominee per category.  Worst Picture, Worst Actor, and Worst Actress are required categories meaning you cannot submit your vote without answering those questions.  There is also a bonus category for films that did not get nominated for Razzies, also called a Dishonorable Mention.  This is not for voting Razzie members because I'd rather find out what you selected when the ceremony takes place (that's also when the poll closes).  I'm not going to the ceremony, but I'll give you my reaction when I see the press release.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2009 at 5:56pm

http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/401801/results 

Above is the link to the results as to who "wins" MiguelAntilsu's poll...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2009 at 2:39am
Ummm...does the phrase "underwhelming statistical sample" come to anyone else's mind here?
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2009 at 3:36pm

How The Love Guru can win worst picture while Witless Protection makes that steaming pile of elephant dung look like a serious documentary on hockey by comparison makes me lose a little faith in the RAZZIES...  Larry the Cable Guy deserved every award he could get his hands on...and I felt that he got RIPPED OFF!!!

Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2009 at 4:04pm

Mike Myers, Paris Hilton, and Uwe Boll get the sh*t, while Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, and The Happening leave the show empty-handed.  Now all we have to do is see if the Oscars turn out okay.

Note: The Love Guru has the highest RT Critics percentage of all the Worst Picture winners this decade (14%).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>