Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FEEDBACK on 2008 RAZZIE® NOMs & "WINNERS"... > TELL US WHATCHA THINK of OUR CHOICES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Here’s Where 2 Put In Yer 2-Cents...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here’s Where 2 Put In Yer 2-Cents...
    Posted: February 21 2009 at 4:34pm

Wow, people say the Oscars are paint by numbers these days and you can spot the winners from miles away. Not so with the Razzies! "Disaster Movie" had a total of 6 chances of getting razzed, but they got away scott-free. Wow! Is Mike Myers mocking of the Hindu faith that much worse than random pop culture characters getting kicked in the nuts during every other scene? And Uwe Boll only got one of the three extra chances of getting razzed, other than his Career Award. Amazing! Is Pierce Bronsan's singing THAT bad, and Paris Hilton THAT unwatchable whenever she's onscreen?

I guess in the end, more voters avoided "Disaster Movie" as if it were the grim reaper itself. I can't really blame them. Well, I'm sure Seltzerberg are throwing together yet another "script" for their next "spoof" movie, and since Kim Kardashian had so much fun filming "DM", she might appear in the next movie too, so there's still plenty of chances for razzing those three talentless hacks who have no right to be in show business to begin with. 

PS: The "win" I agree with the most is hands down "Indiana Jones 4" for Worst Sequel. 20 years in the making and all it will be remembered for is the new standard for over the top plot gimmicks: Nuking the Fridge.

PPS: The very thought of Paris Hilton playing Rayne in "BloodRayne 3" makes me laugh until I cry. My friends and I joked if Hilton did team up with Uwe Boll, the movie would be about Hilton having sex with Kristanna Loken's Rayne and the result is an undead STD that turns everyone on Earth into sex-crazed zombies or something like that. It sure sounds like something Boll would direct and Hilton would star in.

thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2009 at 8:33am
I don't get why everyone is so harsh on Indy 4. OK, maybe it was stupid for putting in aliens and nuked fridges, and it wasn't as awesome as the 3 original movies, but giving it a Razzie over two Seltzerberg works, for Worst Sequel (as opposed to Most Disappointing Sequel)? Talk about a double standard!   
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2009 at 2:51pm

Was Pierce Brosnan's singing that bad? Yes

Was Paris Hilton that unwatchable? Yes

And yes, Indy 4 was not just a bad film, it was a bad idea for a film.

Finally, I really appreciate the fact that the Razzie voters chose an honest effort at filmmaking as it's Worst Picture over a series of bad SNL skits. I think that affirms the fact that the voters here really are recognizing that there is a difference between bad filmmaking and simply throwing together bad films.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
PopcornAvenger View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PopcornAvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2009 at 11:43pm

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

So what do they do? They once again all but yell "Screw you!" to the movie-going public, and nominate five largely unseen, elitist titles that will do nothing to improve their viewership...

I really believe that the Awards could care less about their own ratings. They also didn't show any movie shorts, which left me a bit . I was hoping to see Ledger's final farewell and the reaction of the audience; instead, all we got was a photo, the award, a standing ovation.

As soon as that was over, my TV was turned off.

I remember the year Chariot of Fire took best picture. HBO ran a viewer's poll for Best Movie, and Raiders of the Lost Ark clobbered it, garnishing something lilke 85-90% of the votes. Raiders, easily the best movie of 1981, was snubbed. The Academy has continued it's tradition of elitism over the past two decades: it's laughable that the likes of The Reader and Milk were nominated over The Dark Knight. Yet not unexpected.

Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 2:06am

It's about time that Uwe "Germany's revenge for losing TWO world wars" Boll got his lifetime achievement award...AND worst director nod this year...

I think this year I disagreed with all but THREE of the calls for awards this year (Pierce "your ears" Brosnan for worst supporting actor...Uwe Boll for worst director....AND the worst screenplay for The Love Guru By Mike Myers and Graham Gordy)...an all-time worst since I started following the RAZZIES...BUT all but one of those blown calls would have been my second choice...and that lone one out from that would have been #3...

I STILL believe a snub of Witless Protection (the MOST deserving movie in the lot) was in the works... 

Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 2:18am

Originally posted by Michaels

I guess in the end, more voters avoided "Disaster Movie" as if it were the grim reaper itself. I can't really blame them.

I think the same went for Witless Protection...  If enough people saw it...it would have been a sure-fire winner...

Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 9:11am

Originally posted by Razzilla

I think the same went for Witless Protection...  If enough people saw it...it would have been a sure-fire winner...

I'm thinking "Love Guru" won because out of all the Worst Picture noms, it was the most high profile. But it is kinda funny that both the Best Picture and the Worst Picture of 2008 had to do with Indian culture.

wolfee37 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfee37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 11:24am

I was happy with the wins. I haven't seen any of Paris Hilton's films (except for House of Wax which was better than most horror films). But she looked terrible in the preview for Hottie and the Nottie, and it is hard for someone to look bad in a preview! They put in herr "best" scenes, they added music and sound effects -- and she still looked bad. Brutal!!   

BUT Head RAZZ Dude, I have a question: I was on cinematical.com and they were talking about the awards, and they said "Let's just say Sarah Michelle Gellar and Jessica Alba both got away with one there." I am not sure if you wrote that or they did, but why was Sarah Michelle Gellar even mentioned? Her only film she had come out last year was The Air I Breathe, it came out last January, and she was good in it. Just wondering if you knew anything about that??

RESPONSE from "Head RAZZ Dude"  It wasn't me being quoted there. Geller has never even been nominated for a RAZZIE (IMDb LINK)... 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Razzilla

I think that Witless Protection and Strange Wilderness suffered similar fates. Both movies fell victim to disasterously low (but well deserved) box-office numbers. A few years ago A Sound of Thunder suffered a similar fate. It wasn't just the worst movie of the year, but truly among the worst movies ever; unfortunately, only about 6 of us actually saw it and we didn't have the opportunity to beat the drum loud enough. I guess it is something of a structual flaw going forward with the size of the organization that some deserving films will fall through the cracks on an annual basis, but at least films will tend to win that have recognizable names.

Even so, I made a prediction early in the year that is showing some insight. When I recounted this year's winners to my wife, her reaction to Uwe Boll's career victory was, "Who's he?"

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 3:54pm

I have to take issue here to a degree, because it needs to be pointed out that the purpose of the Oscars is to reward artistic achievement, which isn't necessarily in step with popular appeal. If it were, the painting of the dogs playing poker would be hanging in the Louvre. That isn't to say that AMPAS hasn't made some pretty poor choices, BUT, simply because a movie has significant box-office impact doesn't necessarily make it Best Picture worthy. 

Originally posted by PopcornAvenger

I remember the year Chariot of Fire took best picture. HBO ran a viewer's poll for Best Movie, and Raiders of the Lost Ark clobbered it, garnishing something lilke 85-90% of the votes. Raiders, easily the best movie of 1981, was snubbed. The Academy has continued it's tradition of elitism over the past two decades: it's laughable that the likes of The Reader and Milk were nominated over The Dark Knight. Yet not unexpected.

sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 2:37pm

Pierce Brosnan, well known for films such as Mrs. Doubtfire, and those two James Bond films which at least won a RAZZIE, The World Is Not Enough and Die Another Day, looked like he deserved the RAZZIE, not just for bad acting, but for bad singing. Meryl Streep was just watchable throughout the movie.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for Worst Remake/Ripoff/Prequel or Sequel, Geroge Lucas is one of the reasons why this movie was actually bad. Throughout the past before filming on this movie began, he didn't like the screenplay for a 4th Indiana Jones movie, and it has been in delay for a long time. I think, from my point of view, it looked like it was worth a 19-year wait, but a bad movie and a bad idea for a movie. and for the first time in RAZZIE history, a film directed by Steven Spielberg actually "wins" a RAZZIE after he had like 3 other films nominated like HOOK, THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK and WAR OF THE WORLDS, and let's not forget about some of those other films nominated for a RAZZIE or two he worked as a producer and executive producer, like JURASSIC PARK III and MEN IN BLACK II.

Mike Myers follows Shrek co-star Eddie Murphy for the Worst Actor trophy. Other Shrek co-star Cameron Diaz nominated for Worst Actress was definitely deservable, but Paris Hilton, not just bad acting, but being unwatchable, deserved both Worst Actress and Worst Supporting Actress RAZZIEs.

Uwe Boll was definitely Germany's revenge for losing World War II, but in a bad way, and now, along with Worst Career Achievement, he finally wins Worst Director, beating off the other director who beat him off 2 years ago, M. Night Shymalan (or however it's spelled).

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
PopcornAvenger View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PopcornAvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 3:49am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I have to take issue here to a degree, because it needs to be pointed out that the purpose of the Oscars is to reward artistic achievement, which isn't necessarily in step with popular appeal. If it were, the painting of the dogs playing poker would be hanging in the Louvre. That isn't to say that AMPAS hasn't made some pretty poor choices, BUT, simply because a movie has significant box-office impact doesn't necessarily make it Best Picture worthy.

I understand, and also agree - to a point. I don't think the masses are always wrong, though. I did like Chariots of Fire; I just don't think it even belonged in the same league as Raiders. At the time, Raiders was fresh, innovative, and one hell of a roller coaster ride.

Doesn't mean I like oscar-noticed "artsy snoozefests" either. I liked Meet Joe Black and was especially fond of Remains of the Day.

TaRaN-RoD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote TaRaN-RoD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 7:38am
I personnally think that almost all the Stallone's and Costner's wins and nominations were stupid and undeservable! And I'm talking as a Stallone and Costner fan!

And I think it's time for Orlando Bloom and Christian Bale to receive a Razzie!
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 8:03am
Originally posted by TaRaN-RoD

I think it's time for Orlando Bloom and Christian Bale to receive a Razzie!
Why such hate on Christian Bale? The guy has done great performances like "American Psycho" and "The Machinist". Does it have to do with his poor performance as John Connor (because that can easily be blamed on McG) or does it have to do with his infamous rant? Or, are you one of the many out there who simply hated his "Bat Voice" in the Nolan Batman movies?
TaRaN-RoD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote TaRaN-RoD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 2:59pm
I hate this guys because he is a jerk in the real life, and also because he has no expression and no tallent!

Name me a watchable performance that he did except maybe The Machinist and American Psycho (witch you named)!!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 3:54pm
Far be it from me to answering on behalf of Michaels, but Bale's work in the two recent Batman movies was quite good. I also thought he was pretty good in Public Enemies. As to his personal life, I don't recall a lot of negative publicity surrounding him, but admittedly, I don't keep close track of his personal life. However, I can attest to exemplary work he has done on behalf of The Diane Fossey Gorilla Fund and The World Wildlife Federation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>