Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > FIRST SUNDAY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Hey, Where’s the Funny Stuff At?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey, Where’s the Funny Stuff At?!?!?
    Posted: January 08 2008 at 4:16pm

TV SPOTS for THIS ONE LOOK ALARMINGLY UNFUNNY...AND WAY TOO MUCH LIKE 2007's WHO'S YOUR CADDY.  IN FACT, IT LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING SOMEONE at the RELEASING STUDIO SHOULD HAVE SUGGESTED WAS PERFECT...to GO DIRECT-to-VIDEO.

IF YOU DON'T AGREE (OR YOU DO) FEEL FREE to HAVE YOUR SAY BELOW...

ICE CUBE: "Can somebody let me out after the reviews are in??"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 1:29am
The Razzberry Dough Boy's back! Tracey Morgan is back to his "Little Man" ways.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 2:38pm

We're barely into the year and we already have 3 turds, and Uwe Boll isn't alone this week.  And we have seven steaming piles still yet to come (unless Stallone has an unlikely winning streak).

The prophecy of John Wilson, as written in the discussion for One Missed Call, looks like it will be fulfilled.

whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 1:08am

Not rob a church -- "rob the people in the church." It is totally different in every way...

Response from Head RAZZberry: The promos suggest that the church has collected several thousand dollars for some parish project, and it's that money (perhaps in addition to the church-goers' pocket cash) that the main characters are planning to rip-off. So in a way, we may both be right...

tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 3:30am

This is The Plot, according to IMDB. Durell (Ice Cube) and LeeJohn (Tracy Morgan) are best friends and bumbling petty criminals. When told they have one week to pay a $17,000 debt or Durell will lose his son, they come up with a desperate scheme to rob their neighborhood church. Instead, they end up spending the night in the presence of the Lord and are forced to deal with much more than they bargained for.

The IMDb also had a list of some movies on the same premise as this one. Here are they are:  

Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

Fun with Dick & Jane

The Ladykillers

Sugar & Spice

tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 6:04am
I heard Ice Cube says he wants The Mr.T role for the The A-Team movie remake. That should be interesting!  
whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 7:32am
I got the line right outta the commercial!
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 3:41pm
Aside from looking "alarmingly unfunny," it appears we're in store for Tom Shadyac-ian "moralizing." After all, the picture is set in a church and about a man trying to avoid losing his son. Apparently, right now it's hip to sell trite morals packaged in lightweight comedy to black Americans, as evidenced by the recent success of Tyler Perry's monotonously lowbrow ventures. And in keeping with that ever-present tradition of Hollywood comedies directed at the black community, we have another film featuring at least one gag about a man dressed as a woman (referring to Tracy Morgan's massage scene in the trailers).
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 8:51am
Tracy Morgan looks like he's playing the same type of character that he does on 30 Rock, problem is that even though I like the show, I despise his character on 30 Rock. He's almost as annoying as David Caruso's dramatic pausing on CSI Miami. Hell the only reason Caruso's pausing is more annoying is because he's capable of great work ( King of New York, NYPD Blue, etc.).  However, in an effort to say something nice, Morgan's recent superhero commercial did make me chuckle.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 9:34am
Ok, I really hate the ads for this movie. I think the problem was that the trailers make me think that this movie is another "Who's your Caddy" like those other meaningless movies...now, actually reading the reviews, they say it has a heart and some decent laughs. So I'm fairly surprised.
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 4:22pm

As has been said, every person sees each film a little differently, unlike the people who cut trailers for today's film executives, who are if possible even stupider than their bosses and put essentially the exact same "genre" trailer out each and every time.  But if you like it, by all means say so; we do believe in freedom of expression here--exercised properly of course. 

JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by tomsmobr

I heard Ice Cube says he wants The Mr.T role for
the The A-Team movie remake. That should be interesting!  

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Just the thought of Ice Cube as Mr T, Kevin Costner as Hannibal, Tom Cruise
as The Face and Brent Spiner as Murdoch
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by JoeBacon

Originally posted by tomsmobr

I heard Ice Cube says he wants The Mr.T role for
the The A-Team movie remake. That should be interesting!  

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Just the thought of Ice Cube as Mr T, Kevin Costner as Hannibal, Tom Cruise
as The Face and Brent Spiner as Murdoch
I couldn't see Kevin Constner as Hannibal considering Cannell wanted Bruce Willis
PlanB View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote PlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 2:31pm
I'm fairly surprised that my theater even got this movie, as we tend to get skipped when it comes to movies that are geared specifically towards "urban" audiences.  

For instance, we didn't get "Tyler Perry's 'Why Do I keep Making the Same Movie?", and it went on to be a hit, but we never got a single call about it, and no one ever asked why we didn't get it.  It's like it never existed.  When someone DOES ask me why we're not playing a particular film like that, I just simply say "It won't make money here", to which a typical response might be "But it looks funny", to which I will say "And it might be, but it doesn't matter.  Yes, the entire black population of Butler (my town) would come out to see it opening weekend, but after those 20 people, it's going to be playing to an empty theater all week".  No one really argues with that. 

To get somewhat back on topic, "First Sunday"  (which was called "First Friday" by some of the customers I waited on the other night) only had about 30 people in to see it on Saturday, while we had about 300 tickets sold for Bucket List.  They both finished with about the same overall box office, and I'm not surprised one bit.   Old folks love their Morgan Freeman...

RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 12:13pm
Thing is, the only good Tyler Perry film was Why Did I Get Married? From what I heard, it steared clear of Perry's cartoonish miscalculations and made a somewhat poignant, and observant film.

Aside from that, Perry's still not a great director. He takes meaningful storylines - ones that have potential to make a charming movie - and then cram them up with ghastly ideas for entertainment: cartoonishly evil bad guys (and girls, if you count the bitchy ex-wife in Daddy's Little Girls and Lynn Whitfield in Madea's Family Reunion), scatalogical humor (never mix in a crossdressing man in a serious drama), godawful performances (including those from actors/actresses who should know better than to boldface and underline their emotions) and the way it uses Christianity as a crutch, but features such overly theatrical scenarios straight out of soap operas or crappy urban films (urban violence, the villains, pussywhipped men proclaiming their love to women). Believe me when I say that the African-American audience deserve better (ATL).
You think you know, but you have no idea.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 1:15pm

That the strangest thing I've seen associated with religion since Peter Griffin created the Church of the Fonz on Family Guy.  The film's not that good, but it's Worst Picture chances are waning.

Post Reply Post Reply