Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > HALLOWEEN 2007
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

HORRORS! Another Blood-n-Gutz Remake?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HORRORS! Another Blood-n-Gutz Remake?!?!?
    Posted: September 01 2007 at 10:55am
HeadRazz, you seeing this anytime soon? If you are, we'd love to hear what you think...
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 12:30pm
I've seen it and you guys know my reaction: I liked it a lot. Well, I really wasn't looking forward to it after the reviews came pouring in but I just need to see it. My bar was set so low, I actually liked the movie. The cliches are there, yeah. The violence was there but the thing that made this movie worked were the actors/actresses in this film. I really didn't care for cliches at that point. Rob's wife is an extremly talented actess. That's all I got to say about it.
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 1:21pm

Hey HeadRAZZ, while I am very glad to see this movie getting Razzie attention, I think that we should also discuss Death Sentence, which also looks really bad and has a lower rating than this on RT! 

Response from Head RAZZberry: I plan to wait 'till the final numbers are in at B.O. MoJo and, if the weekend totals on DEATH SENTENCE are as pitiful as Friday's numbers were (less than $750 per screen!) I may go ahead and add SENTENCE to our Forum. Though with grosses that low, even our own Voting Members may not bother to see it! 

Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 5:42pm

I just got back from seeing this movie and I must say I was very disappointed. How could Rob Zombie (the director of "The Devil's Rejects") make such an uninspired mess? The film was boring and unexciting, the characters were all unlikeable and stiff, the story has been told a thousand times before, and it just seemed to be missing one important thing...ANY SCARES!!! I didn't jump outta my seat one time and I will admit I am a sucker for getting scared. This movie was a huge let down and I feel like I've just waited hours of my life that I will never be able to get back. R.I.P Halloween FOREVER!!!

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 7:39am
There were MANY pop up scenes and you didn't jump ONCE?! AMAZING! I jumped everytime there's a pop up scene, even surprising ones.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 12:00pm

I think that one of the primary reasons that the original Halloween and a lot of the even older Hollywood horror classics are so much better than the modern stuff comes down to the graphic nature of the modern genre. The older directors understood that we can create much greater horrors in our own minds than they can ever show on the screen, consequently most of the action in those classic movies is implied, rather than shown directly.

When they show us every graphic detail, we just become so numb to it that it doesn't affect us anymore.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 12:10pm

I just saw it, I agree with Criss, not a single bloody scare. It was more predictible than Titanic. Scout Taylor Compton seems nice, but she couldn't compare to Jamie Lee Curtis. However it did have a few good points:

1. Malcolm McDowell was pretty good, although he won't make anyone forget about the late, great Donald Pleasance.

2. Brad Dourif and (Surprisingly) Sheri Moon Zombie did well with their sympathetic roles. I think Dourif's a tremendous Villainous actor, but he's done most of the best work of his career in nice guy roles, like One flew over the Cuckoos nest (Insanity aside), Deadwood, etc.

About the only thing I can say is that William Forsythe's character was pretty one note (But that wasn't his fault, he did OK with what he was given).

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by deadguy76

Is there some conspiracy out there to remake classic John Carpenter movies into crappy movies? I hear they're going to remake Escape from New York, directed by... Len Wiseman. With Underworld and Van Helsing under his belt this is destined to bomb.
                                                                        Actually, Stephen Sommers directed "Van Helsing". Wiseman, also, directed "Live Free Or Die Hard" so I have faith in it.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 1:44pm
I don't mind remakes....unless it's bad....but I always have a soft spot for them.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 6:02pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

I don't mind remakes....unless it's bad....but I always have a soft spot for them.

The vast majority of them ARE bad which is precisely the point. Here is what it all boils down to:

**If a good/classic movie is being remade, it is the height of hubris on the part of the director to believe that he/she can actually improve upon the original. The technology exists to create a better looking version of, say, 2001: A Space Odyssey but no director will recreate the magic, atmosphere or originality of Kubrick's version

**If a bad movie is being remade, it is the height of hubris on the part of the director to believe that he/she will not only sidestep the problems that sunk the original, but will not contribute half a dozen new ones.

I'd issue a challenge to anyone out there that can actually provide a single example of a remake of a movie, good or bad, that is truly superior to the original. For a brief moment, I was going to concede the most recent remake of King Kong but the more I consider the issue, the deeper is my conviction that much like my example of 2001 above, it was better looking, but not a truly superior story.

There probably are a few, but I am either too tired or just too cynical tonight to come up with any.  Let's see what you guys can offer.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 2:22am
I think the only reason people didn't like Halloween was because it was very different from the original, if anyone had seen it. Rob Zombie wanted to make his own version of it, not an exact mirror of the original. I mean, people complain about remakes but people are still complaining when the remake tries to be different than the original.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 3:45am

I think the only reason people didn't like Halloween was because it was very different from the original, if anyone had seen it.

Nope.

1. Several of us have seen it. It was somewhat different, but the notion that different=better is wildly erroneous.

2. "People" didn't like it because it isn't very good.

3. What was the point of remaking this movie, beyond:

a) intellectual and creative laziness

b) a craven assessment of public gullibility suggesting that people came out to see the original in droves, so why not cash in on it by applying new technologies to create a new, but not necessarily better version

c) The fact that Rob Zombie's name on it might create further public curiousity, which of course=even more box-office $. In spite of the fact that Zombie has yet to prove to most of us that he has any real talent (or even promise) as a filmmaker. 

Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 7:26am

Originally posted by JoeBacon

If only they got Lindsay Lohan to do the Jamie Lee Curtis role...

If only they hadn't remade the movie...

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 7:42am

The Devi's Rejects was a fantastic movie!

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 1:38pm

The Devi's Rejects was a fantastic movie!

Oh Oh, my God, we're actually on the same level!

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 1:59pm
...I'm sure other people liked it and agree with me....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>