Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > THE 4th KIND
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How Berry KIND of Them...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Berry KIND of Them...
    Posted: November 06 2009 at 8:43am

THE FACT THAT IT "STARS" 3-TIME RAZZIE® NOMINEE MILLA JOVOVICH MAYBE SHOULDA TIPPED US OFF...

THE FACT THAT IT LOOKS ALARMINGLY SIMILAR to the EARLIER, EQUALLY DOPEY 2009 RELEASE WHITEOUT WAS MAYBE ANOTHER CLUE...

BUT WHEN the REVIEWS on THIS ONE WERE OVER-WHELMINGLY NEGATIVE (at BOTH R.T. and METACRITIC) WE WE FINALLY GOT a CLUE: MAYBE THE FOURTH KIND IS OUR KINDA BAD MOVIE.

TO EXPRESS YOUR HORROR at THIS 137th TRULY HORRIBLE EXAMPLE of HOW LAME HORROR MOVIES HAVE BECOME in 2009, SIMPLY POST BELOW. BUT IF YOU WANNA DEFEND IT, PREPARE for NO ONE (EXCEPT MAYBE the EXTRAs PLAYING ALIENS in the FILM) to AGREE with YOU... 

JOVOVICH: "What do you mean I'm over-exposed -- Like too much light got on the film...or that audiences are sick and tired of seeing me in really crappy movies??"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2009 at 12:38pm

I don't think this movie should be on here.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Given moviewizguy's track record on this Forum -- he seems to defend about 97% of everything we discuss -- Why am  I not surprised??   

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2009 at 4:54pm

I don't think this movie should have even been made. It's this type of garbage that causes my e-mail in-box to get filled with ravings from people who spend their time talking to lamp-posts and running in terror whenever they see a black cat. Most of the people who go see this are actually going to think it's a documentary.

The only possible reaction I can have to movies like this is to simply hope it goes away as quickly as possible -- and with as little fanfare as possible!  

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2009 at 5:04pm

Yeah, moviewizguy, you never seem to think any movie listed here should be here.

This movie's trailer was mostly people yelling in such a fashion that  they looked like they were opening their mouths like snakes do to eat their prey whole. That really doesn't make me want to run out and go see it. I'd much rather watch "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" for my alien movie fix...or perhaps I'll just watch "UFO Hunters" on the History Channel -- both of which are a thousand times more entertaining.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2009 at 5:07pm
Some of the reviews on RT suggest that this film is hilariously bad.  Does this look like camp material?
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Michaels

... I'd much rather watch "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" for my alien movie fix...or perhaps I'll just watch "UFO Hunters" on the History Channel -- both of which are a thousand times more entertaining.

Although both are just as much baloney. However, I'm sort of glad that you mentioned Close Encounters in this context, because it gives me an opportunity to tell a really embarrasing story.

Almost everyone who has studied the subject of UFO's eventually comes across the name of Dr. J. Allen Hynek. Back in the 70's, he was the absolute Guru of all things UFO. He served as a consultant for the movie (he also makes a cameo appearance near the end), which is effectively a Whitman's Sampler of UFO lore. I first met Hynek very early in my college career when he came to lecture at the college I was attending. I didn't take him seriously, but the guy was an interesting lecturer. After his presentation, I went up an introduced myself and talked to him for a few minutes.

I happened to be wearing a Levis leisure suit that was popular for about two weeks back in the mid-70's. It was a hideous green color. For some weird reason, I thought at the time he was just being polite, he complimented it and actually asked where I got it. Well, lo and behold, when he makes his cameo at the end of the movie, he is wearing the exact same suit! Only his is an even more hideous blue color. If you don't know who Hynek is, next time you watch the movie, watch for a white haired genteman with a goutee smoking a pipe in a really awful blue leisure suit studying the mother ship. Not only was he a hopeless UFO nut, but he got infected by my dreadful taste in fashion...and by the time that movie came out, those suits had already gone the way of the dinosaur several months previous. I just hope he wasn't buried in it.

addendum: For those who may wish to know who to look for, here is a website with a pic of Hynek:

http://www.cohenufo.org/Hynek/hynk_ufomnd.htm

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 4:56pm

I did see "Paranormal Activity" though. The last 15 minutes, especially the last 2 minutes, are the scariest and best parts of the whole movie. The crowd I was with loved it, but all agreed it could have been a half hour longer.

I doubt anyone will say the same about this movie.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2009 at 1:18pm

I'd really hoped this would be a decent movie, and I HAD planned to see it. Damn! I really don't hate Milla Jovovich, but she can't seem to catch a decent role.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: You seem to suggest that Jovovich has little or no say over what roles she plays -- I, on the other hand, assume she does. So if her track record includes one bad movie after another, Milla herself must be at least partially to blame...

-Iron helps us play-
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2009 at 2:52pm

I heard from people that this was a frightening film.

Have you seen Milla in A Perfect Getaway? Anyway, I thought she was terrific in The Fifth Element.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2009 at 6:03am
Milla has never been terrific in anything she stars in. Her acting is on par with an episode of "Saved By The Bell". If you look back at her resume of the movies she starred in, she's in them because she was in a realtionship with the directors.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2009 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by dEd Grimley

I'd really hoped this would be a decent movie, and I HAD planned to see it. Damn! I really don't hate Milla Jovovich, but she can't seem to catch a decent role.

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=3>RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: You seem to suggest that Jovovich has little or no say over what roles she plays -- I, on the other hand, assume she does. So if her track record includes one bad movie after another, Milla herself must be at least partially to blame...

*Sigh*

No, I know it's her own dumbass fault. I guess I just don't wanna hate her. No guess as to why.
-Iron helps us play-
 Post Reply Post Reply