Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > MEMBER-STARTED FORUMS on 2013 TITLES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

IDENTITY THIEF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IDENTITY THIEF
    Posted: February 10 2013 at 5:27pm

MEMBER-STARTED FORUM DISCUSSION  

NOT LONG BEFORE ITS RELEASE, WE WERE FINALLY TALKING ABOUT IDENTITY THIEF. FROM THE 2008 DISHONORABLE MENTION FOUR CHRISTMASES' DIRECTOR SETH GORDON (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH SETH ROGAN, WHO HAS NO TIES TO THIS FILM), AND STARRING MELISSA McCARTHY COMES A COMEDY BUILT OFF ONE OF THE BIGGEST PROBLEMS IN FLORIDA. IF YOU ASK AROUND, CHANCES ARE NO-ONE'S GOING TO HAVE ANY IDEA WHO MELISSA McCARTHY IS, LET ALONE WHETHER SHE'S RELATED TO JENNY McCARTHY (DIRTY LOVE, JOHN TUCKER MUST DIE).

JUST AS IDENTITY THIEF WAS GETTING RELEASED, THE FIRST FEW REVIEWS CAME IN MIXED, BUT BY THE TIME THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS FINALLY CAME IN, AND THIS BECAME ONE OF OURS AS WE KNEW IT WOULD... OUR DISCUSSIONS OF CURRENT RELEASES SUDDENLY STOPPED. NOW IT'S SPORTING A VERY BAD 24% AT ROTTEN T, AND A MARGINAL 35% AT ROTTEN TOMATOES. DEFINITELY THE WORST WIDE RELEASE OF ITS WEEKEND, BUT I CAN'T REALLY GUESS AS TO WHETHER IT'LL BE REMEMBERED COME NEXT WINTER.

SO WHAT SAY YOU? IS IDENTITY THIEF ON YOUR RADAR? LAUNCH YOUR MANHUNT BELOW AND REKINDLE THE RAZZIE FORUMS' ACTIVITY!

UPDATE: APPARENTLY, MELISSA McCARTHY PLAYED A MAJOR ROLE IN BRIDESMAIDS, BUT AS USUAL, I COULDN'T LINK HER TO BRIDESMAIDS, BECAUSE I CAN'T LINK THE PEOPLE TO THE MOVIES LIKE I CAN RELATE THE GENRES, PLOTS, AND REVIEWS. THIS GIVES HER A SLIGHT BOOST IN THE 2013 RAZZIE RACE, BECAUSE OF THE FALL FROM GRACE FACTOR! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF CROSS-REFERENCING HER FILMOGRAPHY WITH HER WIKIPEDIA PAGE?

THAT BIG SODA CERTAINLY LOOKS UNAPPETIZING TO ANYONE WHO'S IN ON THE DEBATES OVER SUPERSIZED SODAS IN AMERICA. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, HOW COULD THE PRODUCER OF TED SINK TO A FINANCIAL CRIME COMEDY IN A TIME LIKE THIS?
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags. 22; A Dame to Kill For. Ags 29; Jessabelle
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 4:28am
Um, dude, she was nominated for an Oscar for Bridesmaids, which got a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 235 reviews and made 288,383,523 dollars on a 32.5 million budget. I think there are quite a few people that know who she is now. And yes, I knew Melissa was related to Jenny, but here's the thing. If you were to "force" me to have sex with either Jenny or Melissa, I would make out with Melissa because she can be funny if given the right material. Jenny may look more like the typical "hot" woman, but she is  talent-less and incapable of being funny... 

Seriously, people like her don't deserve attention, but they get it anyway...  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 7:57am
Since Melissa McCarthy has another movie coming up, and the Razzies love to award actors who follow their Oscar nominations with bad movies, I'm guessing this will be in consideration for Worst Actress only. It doesn't look like an obvious contender for other categories.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 8:00am
Man, Rex Reed decided to use this movie as an excuse to make fun of Melissa's weight. He's a very shallow man. Plus, how can you take someone seriously when he starred in two of what are considered the Worst Movies Ever Made?

Bet ya Identity Thief, as bad as that is, isn't Worst Movie Ever Made material.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 4:40am
It seems the biggest problem with Identity thief was the film's script. Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy were a good team but were bogged down by the storyline. The Concept and stars were there, but the execution wasn't good at all.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 2:07pm
So you've seen it? For which categories do you feel it should be nominated?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 6:44pm
Honestly, I could see this being considered for Worst Screenplay, maybe even Worst Director. But I do think Melissa and Jason should be spared any Worst Acting nods. It is extremely hard to act with bad material, bad direction and bad writing. I think Jason and Melissa, though not perfect, tried their best.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
kelemenmarc View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote kelemenmarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2013 at 7:48am
This really should be out of any Razzie consideration. Not the best movie ever (not even very good) but it's definitely not on the same awful level as Grown Ups 2. 

And McCarthy & Bateman were actually great, no matter how poorly the screenplay was written. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: This may be the perfect opportunity for me to explain one of the features of our Forum to one of our newest members -- We permit "Member-Started Discussions" of titles that were not given "Official Forums" (of which IDENTITY THIEF is an example). Many of these are features that specific members felt strongly enough about to set up discussions like this one, and occasionally they do result in consideration on our Nominating Ballot. But generally speaking, they represent the opinions of those who start and/or participate in them, and are not necessarily "Official RAZZIE® Dogma." 

FYC:
Worst Movie: The Bounty Hunter
Worst Actor: Johnny Depp (Alice in Wonderland / The Tourist)
 Post Reply Post Reply