Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS" > KILLERS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flatulence?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flatulence?!?
    Posted: May 27 2010 at 11:56am
THE RAZZIE® AWARDS HAVE DEVELOPED MANY PET PEEVES OVER the YEARS, and AMONG the MOST PEEVISH of THEM IS a GRIPE AGAINST MOVIES THAT BLATANTLY PANDER to AUDIENCES by IMITATING PREVIOUS SUCCESSFUL MOVIES -- ESPECIALLY the ONES THAT DON'T EVEN BOTHER to DISGUISE WHAT THEY'RE "PAYING HOMAGE TO" (i.e. RIPPING OFF)...  

KILLERS IS SUCH a BLATANT KNOCK-OFF of the 2005 HIT MR. & MRS. SMITH THAT, EVEN by MODERN HOLLYWOOD's LOWLY STANDARDS for "ORIGINALITY," IT'S SHOCKING. BUT WHERE  BRANGELINA's MOVIE WAS FAST-PACED, BRACING IN ITS ANTI-ROMANTIC IRONY and EVEN OCCASIONALLY CLEVER, KILLERS SEEMS SATISFIED to TURN the SAME MATERIAL into a BRAINLESS "YUK-FEST" with FAR LESS APPEALING LEAD ACTORS. IN the 2010 FILM, THREE-TIME RAZZIE® NOMINEE ASHTON KUTCHER REPLACES TWO-TIME OSCAR® NOMINEE BRAD PITT as the MALE LEAD. AND TV-STAR-TURNED-MOVIE-STAR-WANNA-BE KATHERINE HEIGL TAKES the PLACE of ACTUAL OSCAR® WINNER ANGELINA JOLIE. IT THEN COMPLETES ITS OWN RAZZIE® PEDIGREE by HANDING OVER HELMING DUTIES to the DIRECTOR of LAST YEAR's UGLY TRUTH. AND WHERE the M&M SMITH USED the MARRIED-COUPLE-AS-ASSASSINS PLOT DEVICE to COMMENT on MODERN MARRIAGE and ROMANCE, KILLERS IS INSTEAD a TIME-KILLER FULL of STUNTS, SIGHT GAGS, and GAG-INDUCING GOOFBALL HUMOR -- IN OTHER WORDS, "BRANGELINA" APPEARED in a HIGHBROW FARCE, WHILE KUTCHER & HEIGL ARE SATISFIED to MERELY LET GO a SERIES of LOWBROW FARTS. 

BELOW IS YOUR CHANCE to FART RIGHT BACK in THEIR GENERAL DIRECTION...

KUTCHER: "I'm not coming out from behind this wall 
'till I get at least ONE good review..."  

BLONDE: "Then you'd better plan on staying back there 
for quite a while..."  

UPDATE: SPEAKING of REVIEWS, HERE's a LINK to an L.A. TIMES ARTICLE ABOUT the INCREDIBLY LAME "MOTIVE" LIONSGATE GAVE for REFUSING to SCREEN THIS FILM for ANYONE PRIOR to ITS OPENING DAY...WAIT'LL YOU READ WHAT THEY CLAIM!!  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 12:44pm
Ashton Kutcher...I curse the name! His movies frequently make my bad lists, usually within #20-#29 on my Bottom 40 lists over the past 3 years. Katherine Heigl did okay in Knocked Up (Tied with Superbad for #20 on my Best of '007), then she made The Ugly Truth, which I also put at #20, albeit on the Worst of '009. Habitual RAZZIE contenders like Ashton Kutcher make predicting the worst movie of the week too easy.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 1:26pm

I used to like Ashton Kutcher for his charisma (and no,I don't have a crush on him), and that he could easily be funny. He also showed good acting skills in THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT. 

I also used to like Katherine Heigl,especially in 2007, her year. She won an Emmy for GREY'S ANATOMY (none of her co-stars have), and starred in KNOCKED UP, one of the most successful comedies of that year. She showed good acting skills in both. 

Now,they both have become runners-up for King & Queen of Rom/Coms..Is that bad? Maybe not, but their movies are bad...
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 1:59pm
This movie looks fun but I think Knight and Day will be better. And these two movies can't be worse than The Bounty Hunter. And yes, I named these three movies because they are all similar to one another.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 2:51pm
Woo-hoo! The worst on-screen pairing in the history of the movie business...well, at least since Dane Cook and Jessica Alba! 

Where do I sign up to get my ticket!? Thumbs Down
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 4:23pm
It's not the worst pairing. I mean,obviously the studio said "These two are the stereotypical rom-com leads. Why haven't they co-starred in a movie yet?". Before that,they said the same concerning Heigl and Matthew McConaughey, but after an episode of ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE(R.I.P.)joked about that,they decided they didn't want to be predictable. Too bad this movie clearly will be.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 6:45pm
Uh, no, it was more like "Hey Ashton Kutcher is popular and bankable! And hey Katherine Heigel is also popular and bankable! We should put them in a rom/com together, even if they don't click with each other at all!" Because THAT is how studios think!
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 12:40pm
That's basically what I said -- Lionsgate has decided this movie won't be pre-screened for critics. So I'm guessing it could be worse that we thought.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 1:54pm
"Worse than we thought"? I think that proves beyond any shadow of doubt that this movie is Razzie material!
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 3:53pm
The way this is being interpreted, I wonder if this is comparable to the "mockbusters" created by The Asylum studio (Transmorphers, The Day the Earth Stopped, Snakes on a Train, etc).  The difference is that the Asylum knockoffs are direct-to-DVD, while Killers (Mr. & Mrs. Jones?) is in theaters.

BTW, isn't the Brangelina Mr. and Mrs. Smith a remake of a 1941 Hitchcock film?  I am not 100% sure on this.

Speaking of remakes, I heard stuff about a remake (or a quasi-remake-ish prequel) of Mr. & Mrs. Smith with different actors and a different storyline.  And it might really be called "Mr. & Mrs. Jones" when/if it comes!  Consider Killers a preview of things to come.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 3:59pm
"I wonder if this is comparable to the "mockbusters" created by The Asylum studio (Transmorphers, The Day the Earth Stopped, Snakes on a Train, etc)."  

Good point, except Asylum Studios wouldn't be able to afford Kutcher and Heigl.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 4:04pm
The 2005 movie was a Hitchcock remake. 

I don't know about any remakes, but the movie has tried to be turned into a TV show twice.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 5:25pm
Oh, sorry, but you are incorrect, sir! Hitchcock's MR. & MRS. SMITH movie was actually a comedy, which he agreed to direct as part of a dare to make a movie outside of his usual thriller genre! Only the name of the older movie was the same!  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: For the curious, here is an IMDb LINK to the 1941 Alfred Hitchcock movie entitled MR. AND MRS. SMITH. As stated above, the Hitch version was a marital discord comedy in the screwball mode, and one of the last movies to star Carole Lombard before her tragic death in a plane crash while on a war bond tour in January of 1942...
Julianstark View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Julianstark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 5:41pm
I smelled Razzie right from the moment I saw the trailer for this "movie."

Heigl and Kutcher were wrong for these roles. I immediately caught onto how much chemistry the two do NOT have with each other within seconds of that mess of a trailer. Granted, even if they DID have chemistry, Killers would still be terrible.
For Your 2010 Razzie Consideration: The Bounty Hunter and Leap Year --
Check out my blog! Movies and Other Things
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 5:46pm
Is it just me, or is the generic blonde in the picture meant to look like a clone of Scarlett Johansson? Did the studios want her, but quickly learn that she has standards -- and didn't want any part of this s***? 
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 3:39pm
Well, it looks like Marmaduke is at least open to crix the day before release (and living down to expectations).  However, Killers is airtight; not a single review as of this post, so critics will have to wait for everyone else (though I don't think they will have to worry about sold out shows).

Is there a term for a "day before release" screening for critics?  Various films follow that method for some reason (to try and convince people it doesn't suck that bad?) and you see reviews appear on Wednesdays and Thursday.

Killers, however, is a true NSFC (Not Screened For Critics).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>