Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

In a Silly Sequel, All Hail Breaks Loose!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In a Silly Sequel, All Hail Breaks Loose!
    Posted: October 10 2007 at 4:14am

CALL US PHILISTINES, BUT WE WEREN'T ACTUALLY ALL THAT IMPRESSED by CATE BLANCHETT's OSCAR® -NOMINATED FIRST TURN as THAT REDHEAD from LONDON. IN THIS SEQUEL, HER BOMBAST KNOWS NO EQUAL. CRITICS HAVE JOKED THAT THIS SECOND ELIZABETHAN DRAMA IS MORE LIKE 'HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL' THAN a HISTORIC DRAMA, and MOST of 'EM GAVE BOTH the FILM and ITS STAR a ROYAL RIPPING. ...

PERHAPS the MOST INTERESTING QUESTION IS: SHOULD IT HAVE BEEN ACADEMY MEMBERS...   RAZZIE® MEMBERS... OR NEITHER WHO NOMINATED BLANCHETT for LIZZIE #2: THE GOLDEN (RAZZ-BERRY) YEARS??? 

Blanchett: "Actually, no...I wasn't trying to look like Keanu Reeves in drag!" 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 5:39am
I wasn't impressed by "Elizabeth" either, but it was a million times better than "Shakespeare In Love".
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 7:12am

You would have to be insane not to think that Blanchett deserved the Oscar for Elizabeth.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Chalk me up as being insane, then -- I guess I'm bucking a trend here on the Forum, but I by far preferred SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE to the original ELIZABETH (which, to me, was bombastic, overlong and melodramatic -- As opposed to SHAKESPEARE, which actually assumed its audience not only brought their brains into the theatre with them, but were also familiar enough with the works of William Shakespeare to get the dozens of subtle references to them throughout the film)... 

whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 9:15am

But did you really prefer Paltrow to Blanchett in the actress category? Lots of people preferred SIL to Elizabeth, and even to Saving Private Ryan.

Response from Head RAZZberry: I personally thought Joseph Fiennes  (as Shakespeare) was the best thing in the movie -- and he wasn't even nominated by the Academy!  1998 was a particularly weak year for Best Actress (LINK to IMDb page for that year's Oscar nominees) so I wasn't too upset when Paltrow won. It's also interesting to note that Geoffrey Rush, who wasn't then very well known (nor yet an Oscar winner himself) co-stars in SHAKESPEARE and both ELIZABETH movies...

Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 1:02pm

This is attempting to be an Oscar contender?  One more argument for a Disappointment of the Year Razzie category (along with Pirates, Spidey 3, Shrek 3, etc).

Also, notice the Associated Press review.  It compares this movie with Showgirls

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 1:09pm
I loved Shakespeare in Love...one of the best movies ever made.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 1:24pm
This has fallen to 19%! That's lower than "Lady In The Water"!
whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 12:45am
Originally posted by whennow

It's also interesting to note that Geoffrey Rush, who wasn't then very well known (nor yet an Oscar winner himself) co-stars in SHAKESPEARE and both ELIZABETH movies...

I think he got those jobs because he was known from 1996 Shine which he won an Oscar for.

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 3:27am

I actually liked "Elizabeth". there's some historical inaccuracy like many historical films, but it looks like the screenwriter (Michael Hirst) actually did his homework in capturing the essence of 16th century England. I thought Blanchett was good, so was Geoffrey Rush. The cinematography was excellent, as were the costumes and make-up (its sole win out of 7 Oscar categories).

It's also worth noting that Dame Judi Dench also played Elizabeth I that same year, in "Shakespeare in Love". I thought she was the best part of THAT movie. That was the only year I said WTF to the Academy: I thought the Best Picture honor should've gone to "Saving Private Ryan"...

Also of note, Michael Hirst went on to write the hit Showtime series "The Tudors", which starts its second season next year.

jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 4:18am

A few weeks ago, I came to the conclusion that this movie would be
overblown and only Blanchett and the costumes would get Oscar
nominations. But I never expected it to end up on this board!

This is sad because I love Blanchett, and also wanted the underrated
Samantha Morton to be Oscar nominated for her performance as Mary, Queen of Scots.

Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 6:54am
I saw the first Elizabeth, I thought Geoffrey Rush did a good job in it.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 7:19am
I haven't seen Elizabeth, but I have seen Shakespeare in Love, mostly because a friend of mine hated the film, and I wanted to see why.  I wound up loving the film.  However, I do feel Saving Private Ryan should have won the Oscar for best picture, and that being one of my friend's favorite pictures, may explain why she hated SIL so much.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 7:44am

That's the same reason I hate SIL. Also, I despise Gwyeneth Paltrow (don't  know if I spelled that right?). 

Originally posted by cvcjr13

I haven't seen Elizabeth, but I have seen Shakespeare in Love, mostly because a friend of mine hated the film, and I wanted to see why.  I wound up loving the film.  However, I do feel Saving Private Ryan should have won the Oscar for best picture, and that being one of my friend's favorite pictures, may explain why she hated SIL so much.

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 6:35am

The thinking from this corner is that the people who made this film got confused: Since a movie about a different British despot named Elizabeth took home some Academy gold last year, maybe they figured that the movie going public actually gives a rat's a$$ about British queens.

Personally, I'd rather endure the punishment of sitting through a film about the most useless human being on the planet: Prince Phillip.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 8:00am

My history teacher from last year felt the same way...

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 3:16pm
I saw it today with "Why Did I Get Married?". Here's how I'd rate each (out of 4 stars):

Elizabeth: The Golden Age = **1/2
Why Did I Get Married? = ***
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>