Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > THE SPIRIT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

In the True SPIRIT of Bah, Humbuggery...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BrassKnuckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In the True SPIRIT of Bah, Humbuggery...
    Posted: January 18 2009 at 11:03am
I enjoyed this film. This was good, quality, Adam-West-Batman brand cheese. I fail to see why everyone tried to take it so seriously. I want a cold bottle of Aquafina the next time I see this.

My father couldn't get over seeing Samuel L Jackson in a nazi uniform. The history buff in him popped a fuse when he saw that.
Jurassic Park was the most expensive B-rated Movie ever made - Me
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by BrassKnuckle

I enjoyed this film. This was good, quality, Adam-West-Batman brand cheese. I fail to see why everyone tried to take it so seriously. I want a cold bottle of Aquafina the next time I see this. My father couldn't get over seeing Samuel L Jackson in a nazi uniform. The history buff in him popped a fuse when he saw that.

I couldn't believe how funny I found that.
BrassKnuckle View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrassKnuckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 4:13am

What was funny? The fact that I liked it; the reference to the  blatant Aquafina bottle seen in the father/daughter talk; or that my father went nuts when he saw SLJ in a Nazi uniform?

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Originally posted by BrassKnuckle

I enjoyed this film. This was good, quality, Adam-West-Batman brand cheese. I fail to see why everyone tried to take it so seriously. I want a cold bottle of Aquafina the next time I see this. My father couldn't get over seeing Samuel L Jackson in a nazi uniform. The history buff in him popped a fuse when he saw that.

I couldn't believe how funny I found that.

Jurassic Park was the most expensive B-rated Movie ever made - Me
tdickensheets View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote tdickensheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

ALTHOUGH SOME of OUR FORUM MEMBERS* HAVE DEFENDED THIS as BEING QUIRKY and ORIGINAL, the ONE/TWO PUNCH of TERRIBLE REVIEWS and TINY BOX OFFICE ALL BUT DEMAND THAT WE INCLUDE THE SPIRIT as OUR FINAL FORUM of 2008...

HANDING the DIRECTING REINS OVER to the WRITER of 300 (WHICH WAS ACTUALLY HAD MORE LAUGHS THAN MEET THE SPARTANS) THIS FINAL LIONSGATE RELEASE of 2008 PROVED to BE the LAST BIG DUD of the YEAR -- WITH BOTH BAD B.O. and ROTTEN REVIEWS at ROTTEN TOMATOES.

ALTHOUGH IT FLOPPED TOO LATE to MAKE OUR NOMINATING BALLOT, WE THOUGHT ITS UNDER ACHIEVEMENTS EARNED IT a PLACE on OUR FORUM.

OKAY, dEd GRIMLEY*, NOW YOU CAN SET ABOUT DEFENDING IT...

"This won't be any more painful than reading the reviews -- or checking out your numbers over at B.O. MoJo..."

"I have to kill you! I didn't get a oscar!!"

Thomas Dickensheets
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 11:22am
Frank Miller should stay away from movies.Yes,it was as stunning as SIN CITY.But directing isn't just about visuals.It's also about correcting the errors of the script and this one ended up with a confusing narrative,which actually isn't that big of a deal in comics because you can just go back a page if you miss or misunderstood something.Directing it's also about telling the cast how to act,and he clearly doesn't know how to do it.My main proof is Gabriel Match constantly changing his voice.As for the lame reactions...well maybe that was on purpose...since this is a satire.There are a lot of other obvious errors in the movie(like no one realizing THE SPIRIT's identity with that mask)that mean that Miller,if he wants to be in the business,stick to cinematography.

I give this 5/10.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 2:55pm
Yeah, mind you when Miller did "Sin City", he had not one, but TWO directors helping him. On his own, he had no clue what he was doing, and this movie exposed that.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 4:03pm
Specially since the shooting was done just by Robert Rodriguez(except one scene shot by Quentin Tarantino).Rodriguez and Miller are credited as directors for mostly doing the supervising aspect.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Vits

Specially since the shooting was done just by Robert Rodriguez(except one scene shot by Quentin Tarantino).Rodriguez and Miller are credited as directors for mostly doing the supervising aspect.
Yeah, they say working on a movie set in person is one way to quickly learn about the film making process. Miller must have not been paying much attention, because he clearly didn't learn anything.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 7:48am

There are a lot of other obvious errors in the movie(like no one realizing THE SPIRIT's identity with that mask)that mean that Miller,if he wants to be in the business,stick to cinematography.

Actually,he could also dedicate to Production and Costume Design,Art Direction,etc.And yes,I know those movies were shot in green screen.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 1:52pm

Actually,he could also dedicate to Production and Costume Design,Art Direction,etc.And yes,I know those movies were shot in green screen.
The problem with all green screen, actors can only use their imaginations for so long. Eventually, they NEED props and sets and backgrounds and other actors to work off of.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 10:02pm
Before I start my review of the worst super hero movie of the last couple years*, I'm going to do a little history on the director of this film, Frank Miller. This information is definitely not blatantly stolen from Miller's Wikipedia page. Definitely not. He started out writing for The Twilight Zone comic book, before briefly going over to DC and, eventually, Marvel as an artist. While drawing an issue of Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man, the issue featured Daredevil, who was going through bad sales at the time. Miller took a liking to Daredevil and asked Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter to give him a chance with the character. Miller drew ten issues before becoming the writer. He introduced Elektra in his first issue as writer. One of the more notable story arcs on his Daredevil run was the Born Again arc, where the Kingpin finds out Daredevil's secret identity and systematically ruins his life. As great as his time at Marvel was, it can't compare to his time back at DC afterwards. His magnum opus is The Dark Knight Returns, a tale of an aging Batman and a world gone completely mad. Along with Watchmen (which came out the same year), TDKR revolutionized the comic industry. He followed it up with the great prequel Batman: Year One and adult-oriented work like the Sin City stories and 300. And then 9/11 happened and he went to sh*t. Miller lived 4 miles away from the World Trade Center when it happened and it affected his writing. For the worse. Much like Dennis Miller and David Zucker, 9/11 turned Frank Miller into a right-wing hack. His first comic afterwards (The Dark Knight Strikes Back) is one of the most Godawful pieces of crap in comic history. It's an unbearably dumb story told with some of the ugliest art (by Miller) you'll ever see. He followed that up with All-Star Batman And Robin, which is mostly known for this:
With all that backstory out of the way, let's get to the review.

One thing well is its approach to the origin story. And by that, I mean it mostly skims over it. Most comic book movie origin stories are boring and take too much time up. The Spirit, on the other hand, realizes that and just skips over it. One scene that I liked was when The Spirit is being interviewed and stops a robbery during the middle of it. It's a funny little scene and it's the only scene that feels like something Will Eisner would write. And Gabriel Macht gives a decent performance as the title character.

The acting in the film is mostly crap. Scarlet Johansson and Eva Mendes give crappy performance as femme fatales. Louis Lombardi is crappy as the Octopus' cloned minions.

Samuel L. Jackson is impressively bad as the Octopus. This is easily his worst performance. His nadir is the weird scene where and Johansson are dressed up like Nazis and melt a kitten. Terrible in a small role is future Castle star Stana Katic as an annoying rookie. But as terrible as most of the actors are, the main problem in the film is Miller. Specificly, the fact that the film feels more like Sin City 2 than The Spirit. Now, it's important that films aren't just carbon copies of the source material, but considering how Miller said that he wanted to pay tribute to Eisner, it's baffling that this is the end result. Except for that brief scene mentioned in the first paragraph, the film feels nothing like The Spirit. It feels more like The Tick than The Spirit.

As bad as All-Star Batman And Robin was, I actually like it more than The Dark Knight Strikes Back. The art (by Jim Lee) is gorgeous and the comic is hilarious bad instead of unreadable bad like TDKSB. Grade: F

Next-up: Star Trek: Insurrection!

*Seriously, it almost makes Green Lantern look good.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12