Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE of the SILVER SURFER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Is Alba Worst ACTRESS or SUPPORTING?!?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Alba Worst ACTRESS or SUPPORTING?!?!?!
    Posted: June 28 2007 at 1:07pm
Well, I find her a good actress. That's me.
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 1:40pm

I thought that FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE of the SILVER SURFER was not that bad a film. It had some good parts, and plenty of action. Not too bad for a summer sequel...

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 1:39am

Great. Head Razz, since you liked the first FF, have you have a chance to see this sequel?

Response from Head RAZZberry: I actually saw SILVER SURFER the night it opened at my local Cineplex. It was neither spectacularly bad nor spectacularly good -- More of a gutterball of a movie, doing little or no damage, but also having little or no impact, and leaving almost no trace on the mind within hours of seeing it. The special FX were so-so (except the giant planet-eating-cloud near the end, which looked surprisingly like something out of Mel Brooks' SPACEBALLS) and the acting was generally acceptable, competent and ho-hum. Only Jessica Alba, with her skeletal-thin body, severely bee-stung-looking lips and lame line deliveries, really stood out to me. And, despite her getting high-placed billing, I might still argue that, due to her only being on-screen for a total of maybe 25 minutes, this may qualify as a Supporting rather than a Leading performance...

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2007 at 3:27pm
Oops!  Posted the same post twice.  I'm changing one of them.  Hmmm, let's see, I liked the scene where Susan Storm put Reed Richards in a pita shield.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2007 at 3:47pm

MAJOR SPOILERS ENSUE.

Well, let's hear it for the Silver Divine One, who possesses the power to resurrect the dead and is able to obliterate gigantic planet-eating smoke clouds by flashing them! . . .

Oh, man, what happened to Galactus?  Mind you, I was wondering how they were going to pull off Galactus so he didn't look like Bill O'Reilly in a purplish-red Wizard of Oz-type suit ready to pick up the earth and eat it like a pealed grapefruit.  But, to be bluntly honest, that would have been a whole lot better that All Smoke And No Fire.  The image certainly didn't fire me up.  Can anyone translate "All Smoke And No Fire" into a Native American language?  Whatever you come up with, that's what this so-called Galactus should really be called.

Too bad there isn't a Razzie category for worst special effects.  We'd have three contenders this year: Blood and Chocolate for its boring werewolf transformations, Epic Movie for any scene with the beaver and Silver Surfer Gets a Rise out of the Fantastic Four for its despic. . . er. . . depiction of Galactus.

AND WHAT DOES JESSICA ALL-BLAH THINKS SHE'S DOING?  ACTING?  I can finally see why so many thought Keira Knightley did such a great job with Elizabeth Swann--they were contrasting her to Alba!  If they ever, ever do another sequel, it would benefit all involved if Alba gets this character down.  Susan Storm is an independent, intelligent woman and SHE IS A LEADER, second in command to Reed Richards.  Mind you, the lines and the roles she plays run counter to Susan Storm's character, but Alba still needs to be Susan Storm, not this emotionally weak woman who happens to wield a tremendous power.

It is disappointing that Galactus does not curse the Silver Surfer to an existence on earth, like he did in the comic book.  It is incredulous that the Silver Surfer destroyed Galactus.  And it is just plain wrong that Silver Surfer raised the dead.  He can manipulate matter, he can heal, but HE CAN'T RAISE THE DEAD.

Despite all that, I enjoyed Ioan Gruffud's acting, was amazed by the stunt with the helicopter and the wedding chairs, felt the Silver Surfer appeared to be realistic and found the way-too-full-of-himself Johnny Storm to be as enjoyable as ever.  This is a popcorn movie.  It didn't move me.  It didn't bore me.  I'm glad I saw it.  It entertained me.

Razzie nom for Jessica Alba as worst actress.  HeadRAZZBerry, if you put her up for both worst actress and worst supporting actress, you could have on your hands someone "winning" both awards for the same role, so a decision may need to be made.  I'd certainly be tempted to vote for both parts, if it weren't for Epic Movie.  That movie is still the worst on my list.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Not to worry -- My thinking is that for this role, Alba deserves to be listed in our Supporting Actress category. For one (or more?) of her other starring roles due out later this year, she might also be listed as Worst Actress, thus potentially garnering dual nominations for a single year's bad work...

Your suggested scenario for Alba reminds me of my all-time favorite RAZZIE two-fer: In 1991 the ever-reliably-rotten Sean Young played twin sisters in a remake of A KISS BEFORE DYING. As the sister who is murdered in the film's first five minutes, we nominated Young as Worst Supporting Actress. As the surviving sister who spends the film trying to solve her twin's murder, we also nominated Young as Worst Actress. When the final votes were tallied, Young took both awards -- A doubly insulting RAZZIE Double Header, and a feat unlikely to be repeated any time soon...

dipitlow555 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dipitlow555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 5:44pm

OK, I saw this movie with a group of guys without seeing the first one. I didn't really like this movie. I was literally falling asleep in my chair (maybe partly cause it was 2 in the morning). So I gotta know, is this worse or better than the first one? 

Response from Head RAZZberry: The first FANTASTIC FOUR was actually kinda clunky but was, other than Alba's RAZZIE nominated performance, actually an "okay" movie. This second one, which exists solely because the first one made a profit, tip-toes right up to the line of being a strong RAZZIE contender, but (other than, as last time, Alba's incompetent, robotic performance) doesn't quite cross it...

For your edification, here's a LINK to Forum Discussions of FANTASTIC FOUR #1...

dipitlow555 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dipitlow555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 5:07am

OK, so I just watched the first FANTASTIC FOUR and it was so much better than the second! Even Jessica Alba was better! Maybe it was because the first one kinda had a story... 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 7:24am
Ehh...second was tons better. That goes for the majority...I think,
Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 2:54pm
I don't know who's the worst actress out of these three: Jessica Alba, Jessica Simpson or Jessica Biel? Thoughts....
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 10:40am
Jessica Biel is a great actress!
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 10:04am

I guess for once I am going to actually have to side with moviewizguy...sort of. My opinions of Jessica Biel's past performances are mixed; I've liked her in some things, and not cared for her in others. But in my opinion, she is Razzie proof simply as a humanitarian.

Here in Colorado, we have a wildlife rescue sanctuary that provides a home for bears, tigers and other big cats, mostly from environments where they were raised as pets then abandoned, or otherwise abused. (Some of you may have seen it on Animal Planet, featured in an episode of their marvelous "Growing Up" series. Eddie the Black Panther was highlighted in the episode, "Growing up Black Panter) About a year ago, it was facing a very severe financial crisis, and was on the verge of closing. The proprietors were feverishly looking for homes for all the sanctuaries animals. Then in stepped Jessica Biel, along with a few other local contributors, and put the sanctuary on solid financial footing more or less indefinitely. A big salute and thank you to her. Frankly, she'll never have to fear a Razzie vote from me.

For more information:

http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.org/

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 11:36am
Well, of course all actors can't have great performances in all of their films. Most of the times, they are mixed because they starred in some good and bad movies.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 1:14pm
Admittedly, my current admiration for Biel is based on gratitude for a terrific humanitarian gesture; a real and measurable one, as opposed to a very undefined one as offered by another of the board's semi-frequent posters for the benefit of Sly Stallone. Nonetheless, if Ms Biel suddenly starts pulling a Lindsay Lohen on us, or doing something really dumb and destructive, like giving money to the Republicans, she could easily find herself on my target list.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Criss808 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Criss808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 1:44pm
Jessica Alba will be and should be nominated this year for WORST ACTRESS.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 10:08am
Why the hell is the main topic'bout her?!We're suppossed to be discussin'the movie.

This movie got darker.Is that good?Well,superhero movies have been gettin'darker,and the 1st. one got so-so reviews'cuz it was a comedy.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 1:43pm

20th Century Fox ruins every comic book movie it touches. "Daredevil", "Ghost Rider", "Fantasic 4". Fox turned them all into these stupid, campy, "Batman & Robin" like pieces of s***! For some reason, Fox thinks the old '60s Adam West "Batman" TV series is still the standard for live action comic book adaptations, and these movies prove that.

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>