Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Is This the 13th Film in the Series??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is This the 13th Film in the Series??
    Posted: February 07 2009 at 3:59am

IT WASN'T ENTIRELY CLEAR from PRESS MATERIALS IF THIS IS ACTUALLY a REMAKE, a PREQUEL...or WHAT.

BUT WHATEVER IT THINKS IT IS, IT'S CLEARLY ONE MORE EXAMPLE of the BANKRUPTCY of MODERN HOLLYWOOD MOVIE-MAKING...

FROM the FOLX RESPONSIBLE for the RAZZIE®-NOMINATED 2003 TEXAS CHAINSAW "REMAKE/PREQUEL," THE 2009 VERSION of FRIDAY THE 13TH COULD BE the FIRST-EVER REMAKE of a RAZZIE® WORST PICTURE NOMINEE. AND IT WILL APPARENTLY GIVE UNDEAD/HOCKEY-MASK-LOVING/PSYCHO-SLASHER JASON the "BACK STORY" WE'VE ALL BEEN BREATHLESSLY AWAITING.

BUT IF YOU'RE BREATHLESSLY AWAITING ANYTHING ORIGINAL from HOLLYWOOD in 2009...YOU'RE LIKELY to WIND UP BLUE-in-the-FACE!

JASON: "Yo, conveniently naked girl -- My Mom alwaze told me not to swim in yellow water..."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 1:16pm
Oh, the sweet irony that perhaps on the 30th anniversary of the Golden Raspberry Awards, a remake of one of the original 1980 Razzie nominees might also get a Worst Picture nod.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 3:13pm
NOOOOOOOOOOOO! You've crossed the line on this one! I'm kidding. I don't really care but obviously a lot of people care...this will make money.
tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2009 at 3:43pm
Yea I'm sure it will make money, there's still a built-in audience.
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 12:11pm
This looks pretty underwhelming. I've only seen the TV edit of the original,
which was pretty lame.
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 1:15pm
I figured this one would get a forum. Despite one of the better casts I've seen in a film like this (Supernatural's Jared Paladecki, Sky High's Danielle Panabaker, Disturbia's Aaron Woo, The Mentalist's Amanda Righetti), this one looks bad. They even added a backstory to Jason Voorhees, but considering what director Marcus Nispel did with Leatherface in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (even despite his claims that he's not making Jason sympathetic), trying to take an 80's legend and shill it to today's idiotic horror crowd (those who are making the Saw franchise a cash cow every year) is just begging for a Razzie nod. Are they even screening this for the critics?
You think you know, but you have no idea.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2009 at 3:44pm

From what I've heard, Friday the 13th (the day) is said to be an omen of good or bad luck.  This film probably fits the latter.  According to what I've read, I can't tell exactly what the remake's connection to the original is.  Someone said that it starts with events leading up to where the original started.  Another guy said that the film actually covers the events of the second film and not the first one.  That makes sense because Jason doesn't appear until the end of the first one.  RT editor Alex Vo is watching every film in the series leading up to this film's release (I'd rather not do the same).  I think that this remake might make one or more of the other three horror films this year easier to watch.  Did you get the photo from the source of the RT review posted on this film?  I saw a photo exactly like that one on the site, and the dirty caption you put might scare away a few people who don't have strong stomachs (Thank goodness I'm not in that group).

To answer your question in the title, this is technically the 12th film in the franchise.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2009 at 2:27am

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

To answer your question in the title, this is technically the 12th film in the franchise.

Yeah, he's right. There have been ten "Friday the 13th" movies, plus "Freddy vs. Jason", and now this remake. That's 12 movies too many. From what I have heard the big twist of this movie that stands out from the rest is that instead of Jason slowly walking towards his running prey and somehow being able to catch up with them anyway, he now runs. As M. Night would say, "Wow! What a twist!".

And back to day of Friday the 13th being a day of bad luck, it dates back to Norse mythology in which Loki, the 13th Norse God whose day of worship was Friday, killed Baldur, the son of Odin, the king of the Gods. This set into motion, Ragnarok, the Norse version of the end of the world in which all Norse Gods were killed. And like all holidays, the tradition in society has been shaped over the years to the day of dread that it is today.

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2009 at 3:28am
Originally posted by Michaels

Yeah, he's right. There have been ten "Friday the 13th" movies, plus "Freddy vs. Jason", and now this remake. That's 12 movies too many.

Well, 11, anyway. When it first came out, good or not, the slasher genre hadn't been... slashed to death like it has been at this point. Or to be even more fair, since it was the mom in number 1, and we got the hockey mask in 3, we'll call it 9 too many. That way we get the movie history out of the series that we need. The iconic mask, and the actual Jason. But then, the other ones clearly aren't as memorable. I've never been a Jason fan though, he's got to be about the most boring killer ever. He just sorta stands there... then he pops up and kills you with a machete, and he doesn't like, mangle you or anything, it's just a decapitation or through the gut. And why is he killing? Because you're a teenager having sex. Sounds like he belongs in the Vatican or something. I've always preferred Freddy, or better yet, Pinhead, who've both been in at least 5 movies too many a piece, as well.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2009 at 11:06am

"'Friday the 13th' is about the best 'Friday the 13th' movie you could hope for. Its technical credits are excellent. It has a lot of scary and gruesome killings. Not a whole lot of acting is required. If that's what you want to find out, you can stop reading." - Roger Ebert

Sounds good enough for me.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2009 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

"'Friday the 13th' is about the best 'Friday the 13th' movie you could hope for. Its technical credits are excellent. It has a lot of scary and gruesome killings. Not a whole lot of acting is required. If that's what you want to find out, you can stop reading." - Roger Ebert

Well, Ebert was never a fan of slasher movies ("dead teenagers movies", as he likes to call them). So basically, what he is saying is if you are going to see it just for how well they do the kills, this is your wet dream come true. For the rest of us, it's already #1 contender on the Worst (or Unwanted) Remake list.

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2009 at 6:57am
MWG liked it? Well, I've never disagreed with him before, clearly it must be amazing.

*Demmit... Sarcasmometer broke again*
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2009 at 8:49am

Well, Ebert was never a fan of slasher movies ("dead teenagers movies", as he likes to call them). So basically, what he is saying is if you are going to see it just for how well they do the kills, this is your wet dream come true. For the rest of us, it's already #1 contender on the Worst (or Unwanted) Remake list.

MovieWizGuys reviews standards and reading in between the lines that he wants to hear have always been a kind of High but to sum it up like what HeadRAZZ put out, another recycled/reboot of a dead franchise in order to squeeze what little dry blood that maybe in it's lifeless body

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2009 at 8:49am

I'm Back!!!!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2009 at 8:56am
Originally posted by ITbeast

MovieWizGuys reviews standards and reading in between the lines that he wants to hear have always been a kind of High but to sum it up like what HeadRAZZ put out, another recycled/reboot of a dead franchise in order to squeeze what little dry blood that maybe in it's lifeless body

I love slashers. In these movies, I don't care about the cliches because I love them. When someone trips, I laugh. When the killer appears out of nowhere, I laugh. They're so entertaining and the kills are just over-the-top fun. I liked MBV3D too. The 3D helped a lot.

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2009 at 7:19pm

Trust me we know, it your demographic group that keeps these sad, senseless, overly done, brainless, and pathetic crap from being released in the first place. You should be proud of yourself, during these hard economic times it is people like yourself that keeps feeding the families of the people who subject us to this whole sale retardation propaganda that drops the average I.Q. by at least 20 points. 

Words to live by:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>