Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Is This the 13th Film in the Series??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is This the 13th Film in the Series??
    Posted: February 21 2009 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Michaels

You throw around words like "ignorant" and "stupid" the same way Miguel throws around the word "corrupt". I came to this "sterotyping" because we have many bad comedies and horrors listed here and you defend most of them, which lead me to believe that these are the only two kinds of movies you watch. It's nice that have seen some high quality movies, but you've still given rather high grades to low quality movies. However, in the end, it's your choice to give praise to bad movies in this forum where the members' goal is to rip these movies apart.

A 6 and a 7 is not high.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2009 at 10:32am

Originally posted by moviewizguy

A 6 and a 7 is not high.

Sorry, but 7 is much, much closer to 10 than it is to 1. That and I think movie grades should go by the "out of 5" or letter grades. 10 is only good for IMDb.

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2009 at 3:04am
Originally posted by Michaels

Sorry, but 7 is much, much closer to 10 than it is to 1. That and I think movie grades should go by the "out of 5" or letter grades. 10 is only good for IMDb.

I actually like "out of 4." I do "out of 10" because it's IMDb's way. I just convert the ratings.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2009 at 4:54am

Originally posted by moviewizguy

I actually like "out of 4." I do "out of 10" because it's IMDb's way. I just convert the ratings.

My point exactly. IMDb's way shouldn't be the standard, it's too high. "Out of 4 or 5" and letter grades are much more practical. 

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 3:56am
[QUOTE=moviewizguy]

However, I watch a lot of other films. Just this month, I've seen "Eastern Promises," "Bend It Like Beckham," "Closer," and many others. Last month, I've seen "Slumdog Millionaire" and "Doubt." Last year, I've seen "4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days," "The Curious Case of BB," "Transsiberian," "Zero Day," "Elephant," "Burn After Reading, "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day," "The Blair Witch Project," "Lars and the Real Girl," "Run Lola Run," "House of Sand and Fog," "The Queen," "Waitress," "The Visitor," "Death at a Funeral," "Friends With Money," "The Lookout," "Tell No One," "Vertigo" (yes, I just saw "Vertigo" last year) and--you get the point.

Again, PLEASE don't tell me that English is one of the subjects in which you're getting A++++'s. Yikes, that was a hard paragraph to read.
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 4:26pm
I don't plan on seeing this movie 'cause I'm not much of a fan of horror movies, though I keep watching THE SHINING numerous times because of Jack Nicholson. And also, I enjoy watching those Treehouse of Horror episodes from THE SIMPSONS, even though segments from most of those episodes have been hits and misses...
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 12:30am

Originally posted by sportsartist24

I don't plan on seeing this movie 'cause I'm not much of a fan of horror movies, though I keep watching THE SHINING numerous times because of Jack Nicholson. And also, I enjoy watching those Treehouse of Horror episodes from THE SIMPSONS, even though segments from most of those episodes have been hits and misses...

Good man, that's common sense for you.

CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 4:52am
I have to say, that personally, I see Horror movies as a sort of guilty pleasure, and I watch them more for the effects then for the story, or the plot. I am kind of obsessed with make-up effects, and have been for the better part of 2 decades now.

Part of that, is because some of the money I make each year, comes from Haunted House work, and I like to try to recreate some of the interesting effects I see on the screen. So I actually end up looking at the Horror movies, not always as entertainment, but as a sort of idea generator.

And to be fair, there are some occasional gems in with the horror movies... just not that often. But some of the ideas the have for wounds are just inspired. :)
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 10:13am

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

I have to say, that personally, I see Horror movies as a sort of guilty pleasure, and I watch them more for the effects then for the story, or the plot. I am kind of obsessed with make-up effects, and have been for the better part of 2 decades now.

Part of that, is because some of the money I make each year, comes from Haunted House work, and I like to try to recreate some of the interesting effects I see on the screen. So I actually end up looking at the Horror movies, not always as entertainment, but as a sort of idea generator.

And to be fair, there are some occasional gems in with the horror movies... just not that often. But some of the ideas the have for wounds are just inspired. :)

My point actually. The only reason why these movies make money is because of people rushing into the theaters just to see what over the top ways people can be killed off. No one cares about the plot. Heck, even moviewizguy said he saw it just for the kills, yet he wrote a stupid review about how crappy the story was. Go figure. Why else is the "Saw" series in its sixth installment?! Because of people like him.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 8:10pm
I started watching Horror movies in college simply for the fact that I had never given them a chance up until then. (That, and we had one of the most bad ass video stores every right by campus.)
I feel that Horror movies have played an incredibly important role in the development of the film industry. It's just such a great genre to cut your teeth in. (Pun intended.) Think of some of the people who've gotten their starts in Horror: Peter Jackson, Sam Raimi, Jennifer Anniston, Johnny Depp, Kevin Bacon...
But then we look at what's happening to the industry these days... Horror movies aren't just being played in drive-ins, they have comparatively low budgets to action movies, but they're expect to bring bank home. And it used to be that to make a Horror movie, you needed to think of a good gimmick, but now they're just remaking old American ideas or RECENT Japanese and Korean films. It's pathetic.
I've recently heard the remakes being defended as "Well, the younger kids these days didn't get the opportunity to see these movies in the theaters," well, neither did most people. People weren't making hundreds of millions. The new Friday is poised to make almost as much as all of the other movies of the same franchise, albeit because of the successes of the originals, they're numbers were higher because they had more studio backing. Now, inflation hasn't gotten too much worse since the 80s, but because of the budgets of the Michael Bays and Jerry Bruckheimers of the world, the price of a ticket has sky-rocketed, which makes it even easier for the new Horror movies to violate you. (Another pun intended.)
I'm not sure where my ranting has taken me now, so I'm going to stop. The moral is, screw Horror remakes, screw Horror sequels, and screw Hollywood's manipulation of the public. Start making good movies again. I know that living out there makes you feel entitled to 8 or 9 figures a year, but if you don't have a good idea, don't make something just to make something. There are better things on which everyone's money can be spent.
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 10:11pm
I will still argue for the basic necessity of films like this. But, sadly, at the moment I am too damn tired to really make a coherent point... But, being an idiot, I think I will try... So I present to you "CriticalFrank got Two hours of sleep yesterday and has been up for 18 hours since, and is now trying to think logically!"

I think, that there is an undue amount of vitriol spent on movies such as this. YEs, they are bad, and seemingly unnecessary, however in the end it is the same idea that has been the foundation of ...well... all entertainment mediums... There are no new ideas. There just aren't. Instead, what you are going to get is rehashes of familiar thematic elements. Good Vs. Evil, etc etc etc. Whereas most films just borrow upon the common thematic storyline (such as Underworld building off of the same basic concept of Romeo and Juliet - ie the tale of forbidden love, between members of different families) Remakes, make that thematic borrowing just a bit easier, by lifting larger story elements. Characters and specific plot-points, etc.

And yes, I agree, there are better ways for a studio to spend 30 million bucks, sometimes, it is just nice to sit back, let the brain go into neutral, and enjoy a little bit of guilty pleasure.

I have a simple policy. A movie must deliver upon it's central premise, to justify its existence. For example, a comedy must deliver laughs, a thriller must deliver thrills. When a comedy does not deliver a single laugh it is an utter failure. When a horror movie doesn't deliver on certain thrills, it is an utter failure. And while Friday the Thirteenth may not have been completely terrifying, it did at least have a few small jumps, and some very nice atmosphere.

Think about this (and my mind sinks deeper into the warm pudding consistancy here, so bear with me...) Would people have the same issues with it, if they changed Jason's mask to something completely different (for the sake of amusement on my behalf, I am picturing the Watchmen Smilie face Button) and proceded to call him something else , such as Frank? Follow those two minor changes with a simple title change ( I have no idea on that, so I'll just call it "Whistling in the Woods"). At that point, you have visually distanced it from the original, you have changed the characters name, distancing it that way, too. And you have changed the title, causing a third fundamental change. When you consider the changes to Jason's basic MO, it starts to look thes like a remake, and more like a re-imagining.

Should we look at Hollywood's love of remakes, as any different then their love of adaptations? Adapting video games, books, plays, etc. To film? How is the remake fundamentally different from that? The only real difference is that it is adapting within the same medium. And if we discount the remake as a valid artform, so too must we necessarily discredit other adaptations as invalid. Should we then go and say that Dark Knight was less amazing then it was, since it was technically not an original idea? Should we rob Peter Jackson of his Oscar for Return of the King, because it was only an adaptation of a book, and not an original work? Each director puts a unique spin on the source material, therein lie the art. That is why we can look back at old movies, that were just adaptations themselves and say "Wow, that was pretty amazing."

I have to apologize, but darn it if I don't love trying to think when I am exhausted...  I hope at least one or two of the things I've said actually make some semblence of sense though... If not, please, feel free to ignore the entire rambling mess...
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 12:34am

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

I've recently heard the remakes being defended as "Well, the younger kids these days didn't get the opportunity to see these movies in the theaters," well, neither did most people.

Yeah, and most people haven't seen all 100 Films in the AFI Great Movie List, so by that logic, all of them should be remade?  

Horror remakes have a set formula: hire no name cast of teenagers (or at least some who have been on CW programs), have gimmicky serial killer, have at least one sex scene or scene of female nudity, have killer take out each teenager one at a time in the most illogical ways, the "virgin" is the last one to live in the end, ending hints at possible sequel ... repeat. Why do they get away with it? Because these movies are cheap and make more than their money back thanks to people who have lived off these slashers as childern and are no longer put off by violence.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 8:51pm
Ah, but you're wrong, Michaels... They don't even bother to put the gratuitous nudity/sex scene in most of them anymore.
And to Frank, consider this... Back in the day, people were willing to make a movie that might be a bad idea. Look at, for example, the one listed on the main page - The Brain That Wouldn't Die or whatever it's called... I know they made a Mystery Science Theater 3000 about it. That's not a remake or a ripoff or an adaptation. This, again, is why I'm not content with The Love Guru winning the recent Razzie. Bad movie, but it was a SOMEWHAT original idea. It wasn't bad and a blatant cash-grab, it was just bad. Hollywood shouldn't be afraid to make a just plain bad movie every now and then. Instead, they go with the absolute safest bet to make money. The remake/ripoff/adapt thing is fairly recent. Right now, we're remaking all of the movies that Hollywood USED to have the balls to give a shot. What do you think the meetings used to be like for slasher movies... For the original LHOTL or FT13 or Halloween? "Yea, we're going to brutally murder people, on camera, and that's the whole point... To be as gross as possible." Before people knew it was going to make money, how many people recoiled in digust at the idea of, well, probably the way many people looked at Saw and Hostel at first. Like "Who the hell would be sick enough to want to watch that?!!" and then the millions roll in, and now it's all good in the hood. An adaptation is good if it's meant to be timely, or it makes a point, or if it's just damn well done. And as to the idea of creating a Smiley Faced masked killer known as... Well, let's call him Judgemental Paco instead, that way you don't get accused of influencing kids or something... people are going to recognize it if it's just another Jason. And people generally realize that Jason is really just a rip off of Michael Myers, but the hockey mask was a little more fun, so they made more of those than the other.
If these remakes/ripoffs/adapts, (let's start our own little meme/acronym and call them RRAs) were made a little more sporadically, it might not be so annoying, but as it stands, it's just such a blatant exploitation of the market. And quite frankly, we seem to be dumb enough to buy into it, and they seem content to keep us dumb, creating a vicious cycle of stupid movies. There are just too many movies being made these days, and the more they make, the higher the budgets get, the higher the ticket prices get, the more money they make... etc. And you end up with a bunch of idiot millionaires who happen to have been in the right place at the right time. Not to turn this into too much of a political thing here, but I'm watching these clips of financial experts talking about how taxing the rich is like penalizing the people who are working harder for their money... That's BS. Some dude is sitting in a factory somewhere (probably the last one in the US) and he's lost 2 fingers and has scars all over his arms, sweating all day long for about $30,000 a year and there's some CEO making $2,000,000 for saying, "OK, yea let's do that, but not that... Phew, what a long day, let's go play some golf." Not to say that all of the rich don't work hard, but a lot of them grew up privileged and were handed the jobs they have today, and of course they're going to throw as much as they can behind it to keep themselves making as much as they possibly can, and try to turn themselves into the victims, and ironically, doing that is probably the most work they'll ever have to do in their lives.

Summary of needlessly long rant: Don't feel sympathy for the snake-oil salesmen, and don't reward their laziness.
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 3:59pm
I've seen a ton of movies that have referenced Friday the 13th. I kept hearing from some people that Friday the 13th on any month is like bad luck, but it's not always true...
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 12:17am
I'm going to reveal the REAL plot...

from the tombstone thread...
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 2:00am

Not only did you give away the end of the plot to THIS movies...but the plot of EVERY slasher movie ever made!

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>