Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 2005 Film Discussions > DOMINO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

It MAY be "true," but Is It Truly BAD?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It MAY be "true," but Is It Truly BAD?!?!
    Posted: October 13 2005 at 1:36pm

Critics don't seem to have much nice to say about Tony Scott's frantic, borderline incoherent movie version of the "real life story" of beautiful bounty hunter Domino Harvey, starring Keira Knightley and Mickey Rourke.

What say you??

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
111191111 View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote 111191111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 5:07am

I can't help but think DOMINO may be in for a few:

-Worst Picture

-Worst Director

-Worst Actress (maybe Keira should be lisited even for PRIDE & PREJUDICE, too?)

-Worst Screenplay

dr View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2005 at 8:40am

Worst Supporting Actor:

Mickey Rourke, Ian Ziering, Brian Austen Green and Christopher Walken...

Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 1:57am
Has Mickey Rourke EVER been in a GOOD movie???

Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 2:15am
ANGEL HEART, DINER, BARFLY,SIN CITY --  Rourke was good in all of these movies. People are comparing SIN CITY to PULP FICTION in that an actor returns from obscurity with a great performance. By the way, a lot of reviews for DOMINO say his performance helps the movie.
Philip Bussiere View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Philip Bussiere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2006 at 1:51pm
I went to see Domino in a movie theater in Wisconsin. This movie was actually good. This was not bad. The theater, on the other hand, was awful. That should get a Razzie!
Jenn View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 4:48am
I liked this movie a lot, I am actually a fan of Keira Knightly thank you very much
jj View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote jj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 10:22am

Well Quentin Tarrantino said it was the best film of 2005

I guess it depends if it is your taste but man Keira Knightley showing here boobies was well worth it and plus that movie was so out of control and a failure that they put the guys from beverly Hill 90210?

To me I give it a 2/10 by far they could of done much better I still give it 2 crapolo thumbs down.

fifth View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote fifth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 2:42am

Well, I am a great fan of Keira Knightley and I am not feeling like criticizing this movie. But Razzie is just about doing or saying what it is actually. So I would like to say that this movie was a dud. There was nothing good to be noted in that apart from the beautiful Keira Knightley.

hello
Cytheria View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cytheria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 12:56am
I thought it was a good movie, alright.
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 1:02pm
Eh from what I've seen of it, it was okay.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 4:22pm
Well, time to review this. Before I start, here's what Richard Kelly's been doing since Donnie Darko. He wrote a screenplay for Holes that involved, among other things, nuclear bombs and prostitutes and he sold it to Disney and I did not make that up! He was attached to the Nicolas Cage flop Knowing, but left. He finally got work with today's subject.

The good:

Mickey Rourke: Rourke gives a good performance and is the only one in the movie to retain his dignity.

Keira Knightley gives a lapdance: Miss Knightley gives a lapdance to a gangbanger to help her.

Bad things happen to Brian Austen Green: The star of 90210 and husband of Megan Fox has always annoyed me. He gets beat up a couple times and is covered with bandages in his last scene.

The bad:

Keira Knightley: Her acting skill are very varied. She's given good performances in Pride & Prejudice, Atonement, Never Let Me Go, and the first Pirates and bad ones in the sequels, Silk, The Jacket, and this.

The DMV subplot: It's boring and dumb and pointless. According to imdb, it was Richard Kelly's idea and the reason why Tony Scott made the movie.

Pointless cameos: There's a deluge of pointless cameoes in this movie. There's Jerry Springer in one scene and Macy Gray in another. There's probably others, but remembering this movie causes more headaches than deciphering Donnie Darko.

The ugly:

The soundtrack: The soundtrack is ear-raping and just terrible.

Richard Kelly's ego (and script): Richard Kelly is a lot like 4 Non Blondes: they're both one-hit wonders*! Richard Kelly's script reads like someone trying hardly to be Tarantino despite having the same amount of writing abilities as Q does acting abilities: none! There's a lot of post-modern bullsh*t, but it amounts to nothing more than someone trying to hip. There's one good line though: "If 2 Live Crew taught us anything..."

Tony Scott: Disturbing fact: Richard Kelly isn't the worst thing about the movie; Scott is! Ever since he saw City Of God, he's desperately been trying to act like Fernando Meirelles. Unfortunately, all he's learned from him is to make the movie look yellow. Seriously, look at all of his movies since City Of God came out; they all look like someone whizzed on them!

Well, that's my review of Domino. It wanted to be much more than a regular crime thriller, but ended up sucking big time! Grade: D-

Next-up: Southland Tales! (God help me!)

*That was a little mean... to Kelly!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Ever since he saw City Of God, he's desperately been trying to act like Fernando Meirelles. Unfortunately, all he's learned from him is to make the movie look yellow. Seriously, look at all of his movies since City Of God came out; they all look like someone whizzed on them!
I recently saw UNSTOPPABLE(6/10).I actually liked that photography.While it didn't seem to have to do with the plot(not that it should),it was nice to look at.

Months ago I saw BLINDNESS(5/10).Good grief!I know the intense white photography did have to do with the plot so we could feel like the characters going blind,but it hurt a lot.Also,what's the point of having Julianne Moore and Alice Braga taking a shower together with an asian girl if we can barely see them?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 7:18pm
The difference between Blindness and Tony Scott's films is that it has purpose in Blindness, while Scott's just doing because he thinks it's cool. Also, I forgot to mention this in the review, Tony Scott's doing a remake of The Wild Bunch, the most violent movie ever* one of my favorite movies of all time. I hope he doesn't f*ck it up.

*I know that Rambo's more violent, but when you take time periods into account, The Wild Bunch wins in the violence department.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 6:23pm
I hated this movie. As hot as Keira is, it's not enough to keep this flick afloat. It has a serious identity crisis on its hands. It doesn't know if it wants to be a bio-pic, an action movie, a drama, a comedy, etc. It's just bad! No wonder Keira did nothing but low budget period piece movies after this, I would too if Hollywood failed me that badly.
 Post Reply Post Reply