Forum Home Forum Home > 2005 Film Discussions > AEON FLUCKS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

It Sure LOOKS Like a Contender!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It Sure LOOKS Like a Contender!
    Posted: November 28 2005 at 3:04am

Charlize Theron should have been this year's Halle Berry (a former Best Actress Oscar winner following up her Academy Award performance by playing a cartoon character). Add to the tacky-looking TRAILER the fact that Paramount didn't even BOTHER to take out a paid ad in The Los Angeles Times the Sunday before its release,  then refused to screen the film for critics before it opened, and you've got what sure looked to us like The Big Tinsel Town Turkey of 2005...

DISCUSS...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 3:37am
...anything that opens WITHOUT Critics' Screenings, we KNOW it's One of Ours!
Berry-noia View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Berry-noia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 3:56am

More like CATWOMAN 3 (with ELEKTRA being CATWOMAN 2).

Why use the same formula again and again when it fails the first time?  Again, it involves a similar plot and focuses on a scantily clad woman.  AEONFLUX (the series) will be desecrated.

The Graduate View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote The Graduate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 6:51am

Even more embarrasing are the roles of acclaimed actresses Frances McDormand, who looks like she's sporting SOMETHING ABOUT MARY hair gel, and Sophie Okenedo, who looks like she has hands for feet. First Ben Kingsley in A SOUND OF THUNDER and now this...

Is there a conspiracy to ruin the reputation of all great actors?

deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 3:07pm
When I saw Frances McDormand I thought to myself, "Oh, she has the role of 'Crack Whore' in this movie!"
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 2:05am
The L.A. TIMES reported this morning that Charlize Theron was paid $10 million for agreeing to star in AEON FLUCKS (reportedly the same paycheck Halle Berry got for CATWOMAN). And when FLUCKS tanks, Charlize can alwaze spend her newfound free time counting all that money, one dollar at a time...
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Stinkers Rule View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Stinkers Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 6:53am
    Ha ha, very funny ...Charlize is STILL better than Tara Reid, Jenny McCarthy, et. al., not to mention media pet (in more ways than one) Gwyneth Paltrow...
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 6:35pm
The Oscar curse has stuck again. What next, Hillary Swank as the upcoming WONDER WOMAN?
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
StinkersRule View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote StinkersRule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 7:54am
   Even worse would be Gwyneth Paltrow  "wielding" the lasso (HA!); not that it would make her overrated career resume any MORE pitiful !
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 3:18pm
Another bad movie inspired by MTV! Good lord, what's next -- a live action version of the BROTHERS GRUNT with Martin Short, David Spade, Dana Carvey, Rob Schneider, Adam Sandler, and Chris Kattan??
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
rasputintx View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote rasputintx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 5:16am

Well, I hit the Chinese Theater over the weekend very excited to see this movie. I was a fan of the animated "series", such as it was, back in the day. The thing about the animated version was that it was a lot of style with almost no substance. The thing about the movie is that it's actually a whole lotta style with some nominal substance.

Just like the animated show, it's very sleek and shiny and sexy and full of crazy acrobatic stunts performed in outfits that look great but can't be comfortable. It's kind of a funky plot, but it's not overly complicated and keeps the action moving along. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that I just love Marton "Mr. Galadriel" Csokas.

The biggest thing it had going for it, though, was that my friend and I went into thinking, "Well, at least it can't possibly be as bad as ELEKTRA", which it isn't.

I know where my towel is.
Python View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 9:25am

Isn't it interesting that Charlize Theron and Halle Berry both won Oscars for "Monster" movies? Then they attempt to destroy their career with comic book prostitutes?

anonymous View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote anonymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 11:10am

I honestly don't understand why you attack this movie and not Doom; while Aeon Flux certainly lacks creativity, it's nonetheless very entertaining. Well, actually, if you are a million years old, you'll find it boring because you're used to new discoveries being made each day--but times have changed! Move on! The world ran out of new ideas! (see? it was possible. In your face, everyone who thought it wasn't [possible]) If you walk in that theater remembering this, you'll find it extremely pleasing to the mind.

At least this movie seemed like it had a point ("cloning is not good" (I don't personally agree, but oh well...)) --unlike Doom-- and an apparent argument --unlike the War of the Worlds--. Honestly guys, you are on the brink of criticizing Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt because "it's title is too large" , and dismissing Jarhead because of "our good soldiers in Irak". Let me put it in a way an American would understand (no offense): you're almost praising Yours, Mine & Ours because Russo's face looks like your pet's and rejecting Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-rabbit because a were-rabbit ate your homework when you were little!

This movie isn't any worse than Zorro's last one, Doom, Jarhead, the second and third Matrix movies, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, The War of the Worlds and a lot of other ones you don't criticize too often. So if you're planning on criticizing this one, you know which ones you have to criticize first( I don't know any synonyms for "criticize")

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 5:28pm

We didn't "criticize" DOOM?  Here's a LINK to see what we (and visitors) had to say about that one.  And the second & third MATRIX movies were both RAZZIE Nominees...

While we appreciate feedback, and respect opinions other than our own  maybe "anonymous" should have used the "Search" feature on our site before going off on us about what we have and haven't (and should or shouldn't have) done...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Robertin View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Robertin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2005 at 8:03am
I don´t know about this one. Personally I´ve been thinking about a live-action film about this cartoon, which I totally love despite it doesn´t make much sense dramatic and intellectually wise. But somethings were meant to be left in 2D, and apparently Aeon Flux is one of them (specially when the main reason to see this film was to see a scantly clad Charlize, and what we get is a fully clothed -but thigthly wrapped- hottie )
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 5:19am
Aeon Flux doesn't deliver on ANY level -- It's barely follow-able, isn't sexy, isn't very action-packed, and doesn't really have a message (unless you actually think "cloning is bad" is a message). It may not be 2005's very worst, but I'd say it deserves to be among the final five!
Everything SUX!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>