Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forums on 2008 RAZZIE® "Winners" > REPO! THE GENETIC OPERA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

It’s Just Your Typical...SAY WHAT?!?!?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It’s Just Your Typical...SAY WHAT?!?!?!?!
    Posted: November 04 2008 at 8:43am
This will only be playing on eight screens when released Friday, according to Box Office Mojo. If it does good, it may go wider. With Paris Hilton in the movie, though, chances are slim...
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2008 at 1:14am
On At the Movies, Ben Lyons said that this was so bad, even Paris
Hilton deserves better than this.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2008 at 1:44am
They reviewed it? I'm going to watch it like in a minute.
tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2008 at 6:54am
I just saw REPO! THE GENETIC OPERA came in at $51,000 taking 40th place and beating out JCVD, which is Jean-Claude Van Damme's new movie (it came in 41st place). I thought by The Trailer for JCVD looked way better than Repo.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 4:28pm
Gee, I guess there's a slightly bigger number of movie goers who'd rather see Paris Hilton being "herself" in a movie than wanna see JCVD be "himself" in a movie.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 5:16am

I'll take the road less travelled and say that I rather enjoyed this movie...quite a lot, in fact.

It had some MAJOR issues, to be sure:

1) The songs themselves really weren't that good. Like... Really "state-the-obvious" lyrics.

2) It was really confusing, and yet at the same time, not nearly confusing enough. It jumped around a lot, and the plot was hard to follow. And yet, there's one scene where the main character, Shiloh, has a sort of Punk-Rock fantasy song, that is perhaps the best and worst scene at the same time. It changes the mood and flow, and seems a bit more abstract and thought provoking, but it's just SO out of place.

3) Uneven singing talent... You get the Paul Sorvino guy, who if he's actually the one singing, does a damn nice opera voice, and Sarah Brightman who I've never heard of, but is another pro-singer... and then you have the Shiloh character who just... doesn't ever really do it.

Alright, I've rambled enough, I'll quick sum up the good: VERY original, like Sweeny Todd and Tim Burton meet Hostel, amazing ambience, Bill Mosley and Ogre from Skinny Puppy as 2 of the Largo kids, and Paris (who's not at her worst) and then a whole lot of hot goth chicks.

-Iron helps us play-
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 4:45pm
Paris likely has a lock on a Worst Actress nod for The Hottie and the Nottie.  But I think she's likely not gonna have that go two ways with this.  This film does seem bizarre, but also interesting.  It's not as energetic as Mamma Mia, but it's not as bland as Amateur School Musical, either.
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 1:09am
Whoa, check out these shockingly high IMDB user ratings! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963194/
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 3:31am
Originally posted by movieman

Whoa, check out these shockingly high IMDB user ratings! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963194/

I'm tellin ya, it's not that bad. But it has a very specific target audience, which is not the mainstream moviegoer. It's made to deliberately be a cult classic.
Poland626 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Poland626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 11:21am
I saw repo twice and maybe a third time in January on the road tour. I love repo! The Genetic Opera and dEd Grimley IS right. It's for a specific audience. It's not mainstream or big budget but it brings out the fan base. Since the film never got ANY marketing, the film making slightly over $50,000 in 8 theaters is amazing. 
AmberSweet View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote AmberSweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 10:51am

Repo is amazing. Its not just a movie, its an event.

You have to see it to understand it.

Zydrate Addict View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zydrate Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2009 at 2:35am
Ok, I'll be the first one to tell you that I dislike Paris Hilton, but when you see the movie you can't even tell it's her till the end.  And the highlight?  Her face falls off!! I mean that litteraly! So seriously, don't knock it until you've seen it.  Like AmberSweet said, it's not a movie, it's an event.  I know it's by the same guy who did Saw, but it's not the same at all!!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2009 at 5:15am
Dude, the face thing is supposed to be the big surprise. You don't give that part away.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 1:04am

I'm pretty sure AmberSweet and Zydrate Addict are the same person. He/She/They can rant on about how great this movie is all they want, that still doesn't change the fact every professional critic hated it (one critic said the best part was the end credits, because he could finally leave) and it made next to nothing at the box office. Expect Paris Hilton to pull a Kate Winslet and be under both Worst Actress and Worst Supporting Actress this year.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: As an Forum administrator, I have access to IP Numbers for every posting, and AmberSweet and Zydrate Addict (which I believe are both references to characters/elements in REPO) have TOTALLY DIFFERENT IP info. So unless it's one person with a sophisticated multiple e-mail set-up, no they're likely not one and the same. They may, in fact. be two of the 157 paying customers who saw REPO when it played in theatres... 

And you'll find out if your instincts regarding Paris possibly getting a double whammy are sound when we announce our nominations next Wednesday, January 21...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 1:21am
Well, again, if you're a film critic, you're probably not the kind of person who's gonna be into this. It's really more of a cult film for goths, etc.
AmberSweet View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote AmberSweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 7:37am

The haterade Repo is drowning in on this board is mostly due to the fact that Paris Hilton was in it. I think some of the critics even refer to her role as a major one, when in fact she's barely in the movie. Most of her songs were cut, and her screen time limitied, which I'm sure of you will be delighted to hear. The unfortunate thing is that even if she did the most amazing job, which I beleive she did, people still rag on about how its Paris Hilton. Sure she's been in her fair share of shenanigans, and starred in a series of flops, but she's grown up since the Simple Life, and Repo was a big risk of a role to take because its so different. I think she decided to take it in an attempt to break down any type-casting being associated to her, but unfortuantely, people still judge the content of this amazing movie by the fact that Paris was in it.

Give Repo (and in extent, Paris) a chance!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>