Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > J.C.V.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Jean Claude...We Hardly Knew Ye!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jean Claude...We Hardly Knew Ye!
    Posted: November 11 2008 at 4:03am

THERE ARE TWO WAYS to APPROACH J.C.v.D. -- AS EITHER a SEMI-DOCUMENTARY LOOK at a CELEBRITY LIFE GONE HORRIBLY WRONG, OR AS the VINDICATION and REVENGE of a FORMER RAZZIE® POSTER BOY WHO'S DEVELOPED a DECIDEDLY WICKED SENSE of HUMOR ABOUT HIMSELF...

EITHER WAY, the MOVIE -- WHICH OPENS with NEARLY 50-YEAR-OLD FORMER ACTION-STAR-CUM-PRETTY-BOY JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME DESPERATELY AUDITIONING to PLAY HIMSELF...and NEARLY FAILING to BE CAST -- LOOKS LIKELY to BE ONE of 2008's MOST AMUSING MOVIES. AND, IN OUR MODERN ERA of  IMAGE-OVER-SUBSTANCE, ITS REALISTIC, NO B.S. ATTITUDE TOWARD ITS SUBJECT IS BERRY REFRESHING...

BREAKING with TRADITION (AND USING the EXCUSE THAT VAN DAMME IS a TWO TIME RAZZIE® NOMINEE and ONE TIME "WINNER") WE'RE USING THIS WEEK's "WORST of the WEAK" SLOT to BRING YOUR ATTENTION to SOMETHING WE'RE FAIRLY CERTAIN YOU'LL ACTUALLY ENJOY.

NOT TO WORRY, THOUGH -- WE'LL GET BACK to OUR USUAL RAZZ-ING and BASHING NEXT WEAK...

THE CAPTION ABOVE SEZ IT ALL...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 8:12am

It's official! HeadRazzie is finally off his rocker.

That's the third or fourth movie this year he's put on the list that's actually gotten above 50% at Rotten Tomatoes. Along with this movie, he's also put W. (57%) and Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who (78%), which the public actually like.

Come back next week to see if he adds either "Bolt" or "Twilight" to his list, or worse, "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas".

I like karate action brain candy as much as the next person, but this is actually one I am interested in seeing. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Yo, MovieMan -- Why not try reading the entry before ragging on it!  I made it Berry Clear in the text right above your post that I was adding J.C.V.D. as a potential GOOD movie, just for a change of pace... 

moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 8:17am

This isn't a "Worst of the Weak" pick -- Head RAZZberry's opening post makes a point to say that attention is being brought to this film because it's something we might enjoy.

Again, this isn't a Razzie contender.

tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 11:33am
I thought the trailer from JCVD looked pretty good
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 11:59am
The Razzies may like to pick on the Sly Guy, but in my book, JCVD is even MORE worthy of a Career Award. His name should be put onto the ballot as well.
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 5:49am

I was trying to be sarcastic in my post. Apparently it was missed. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Note for future postings -- "Sarcasm" that subtle would likely be "missed" about 97% of the time...

koosachtak View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote koosachtak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 7:56pm

Oh, I am WAITING for the day that Pia Zadora returns to the big screen! The Razzie Queen needs a comeback vehicle!

I can just see her Razzie acceptance speech: "I don't suppose I'm the only one......."

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Speaking of our 1980s RAZZIE® Queen, here's a LINK to see an image of how Pia looks today...

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2008 at 2:38pm

How about Sofia Coppola returning to the big screen?        

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 5:47pm

Do you think maybe the entry for this forum was a little too late?  It's been Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: To re-re-iterate -- J.C.v.D. was given a Forum here as a rare "recommended" movie. We are (how many times must I say this??) NOT slamming it...

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 2:04am

It's not a contender, this is a spotlight for it as a GOOD movie. Since old JCVD's name goes hand-in-hand with bad movies, even we are surprised he finally made a good one, even if it's about him poking fun at himself.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 5:16am
Oh.....My.....Lord... Van Damme was just named as one of the runner's up for The Toronto Film Critic's Best Actor award for JCVD (The award was won by his Double Team co-star Mickey Rourke)
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:26pm
It's like that Pauly Shore is Dead movie...only you don't get the horrible disappointment at the end of finding out that Pauly Shore is still alive!
-Iron helps us play-
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 2:44pm
I gave it 70%.Who knew he was a good actor?He shouldn't have waited 30 years to show it.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Vits

I gave it 70%.Who knew he was a good actor?He shouldn't have waited 30 years to show it.
Yeah, it's really hard to do a bad performance when you're portarying yourself.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply