Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > C ME DANCE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

JESUS - Is This SUPPOSED 2-B-A Comedy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JESUS - Is This SUPPOSED 2-B-A Comedy?
    Posted: April 15 2009 at 2:05pm
I'm not really sure which channel would pick it up, aside from a specifically religious one.
-Iron helps us play-
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:01am
But that would require those religious channels to take Kirk Cameron off the air for a large chunk of time... unless they decided to digitally insert him into every scene, to make the movie more Christian-y...
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 2:27am
I just had an idea for a new cable network: Christian Classic Movies (CCM) They can hire Pat Robertson to introduce all the films just like Robert Osborne does on TCM...assuming that Robertson isn't too busy saying looney things on his own show.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 9:23am
I just bought Saved! yesterday. I feel like that helps counteract the evils of C Me Dance.
-Iron helps us play-
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 9:34am

I need to see that movie. I've always wanted to see it, but never got around watching it.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 9:37am
I personally recommend Bill Maher's documentary Religulous...but I doubt it will make it on CCM.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 10:00am

Religulous' biggest downfall was that the subject matter wasn't taken very seriously at times. But of course, that is Bill Maher for you. Still, the movie loses a great deal of impact by not being serious.

And I think someone should slip this one in onto a religious network... I'd love to see the fallout from that!

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:23pm
Well, I think the problem with Religulous was that the theme wasn't what you thought it was going to be... It wasn't anti-Christian or Muslim, it was pro-rational thought. And some people who might've seen it thought they had it figured out before they sat down.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:26pm
Yeah, I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie (more than I really should have) but I still think it missed the mark by a bit.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:31pm
Actually I think that Maher made his point rather well. His argument isn't with belief, it's with the sort of organized belief that we call religion.  Whatever flavor that takes on, it ends up buying you The Crusades, The Inquistion and crashing airplanes into skyscrapers. Kurt Vonnegut was on target when he said, "What Jesus should have said was this: 'Yay verily, for whenever two or more of you are gathered together in His name, someone else is about to get their @ss kicked.'"
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Actually I think that Maher made his point rather well. His argument isn't with belief, it's with the sort of organized belief that we call religion.  Whatever flavor that takes on, it ends up buying you The Crusades, The Inquistion and crashing airplanes into skyscrapers. Kurt Vonnegut was on target when he said, "What Jesus should have said was this: 'Yay verily, for whenever two or more of you are gathered together in His name, someone else is about to get their @ss kicked.'"

... I should totally make that quote into my next Signature some day...

But I think, if Bill had approached the topic with a little more seriousness, and a little less jocularity he might have managed to be a little more convincing to some of the folks teetering on the edge, rather then just providing another movie for the rabidly religious to attack.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:41pm
The radibly religious would mount their steeds and draw their swords no matter what approach he took, so I think the least threatening way to drive the point home is with a measure of humor. I think that approach tends to make people stop later and think, "yes, that was funny, but maybe he has something there." Otherwise, people just feel they are being preached to from the other side.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 12:57pm
A touch of humor perhaps, but at times, Bill went and got downright insulting, rather than thought-provoking...and that's going to make just about anyone who isn't predisposed to similar thoughts prepare to fight....
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 8:37am
I agree with Bill Maher's idea that ending religion would be the first step towards world peace, however as humans, we always seem to feel we must be divided among each other for some reason. We could all be the same race, color, creed, sex, etc., and we would still find something different about us to fight over.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 11:50am
Of course. It's just the nature of the species. Although, I imagine if everyone where the same race, color, creed, and sex, we wouldn't have to worry about the fighting for too long, since we'd all die out in a single generation. :)

Indeed, getting rid of religion would give people one less thing to fight about, and even though there are those that argue that religion is a force FOR peace, I have yet to see such peace actually come about.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 9:19pm

I think it says volumes when this thread has stopped being about C Me Dance and start being about Religulous.  Myself, I'd like to someone slip Dogma on the proposed CCM. . . .

I watched the trailer, and this looks worse than Fireproof.  Christina DeMarco is as amateurish as an actor can be, and she has the main character!  Some of the scenes from this trailer reminds me of the hokier moments from Argento's otherwise superbly filmed Suspiria.  Now, there's a combo for all of us!  I'm guessing Suspiria will win in that matchup.

I love the comment about Satan blowing feathers out of his butt.  When I saw that scene in the trailer, I started busting up. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>