Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

KICK ASS Kinda Sucks...Well...Ass!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KICK ASS Kinda Sucks...Well...Ass!
    Posted: August 10 2010 at 3:26pm
MY GOD PEOPLE! What an awful film. Its like watching cinematic crap stuck in a limbo between stylelized watchmen esque violence and unfunny suphero satire. By making fun of cliches in super hero films, it sort of became that cliche, though i doubt that was intentional. To show you that this film is even more messed up, let me point out the fact that Nicholas Cage was the only good thing about this movie! What a twist! Why would anyone laugh at this movie. HOHOHO! A little kid that curses and beats people up (its so funny cause most little kids dont act like her.Get it?)  HARDYHARFREAKINGTWOHOURSWASTEDHAR!
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 6:32pm
Yeah, the fact that it's a satire of comic book movies was the whole point of the movie. As for the little kid cursing like a drunk sailor on shore leave, hey, I've hear pletny of kids under the age 12 curse just as badly. It's sad, but true. Hit Girl can very well be considered a projection of how jaded kids are today.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 7:14pm
The whole point was that it was a satire, BUT, like i said, it became the very thing it tried to make fun of, without really being a satire in the end. The satire was overwhelmed by the unintentional cliches that made it standard super hero film, not even parody of one. And dont gimme the whole 12 year olds can curse like that in real life...you sooo got what i meant. The whole point of her was that she was 12 and extremly violent and trash talking. I doubt the director was all like, " oh totally, shes a projection of jaded kids!" She was meant to be comic releif, nothing more. Not to mention she cant act.
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 8:01pm
 Yes, the little girl is comic relief, but many can see her as a projection of kids today. The same can be said about how once the TV networks stopped showing Kick-Ass getting beaten to a pulp, everyone rushed to their Internet connections to see what else happened. The movie is also a projection of glorifed violence and celebrity culture in our society, it's just that these things went over your head because you're too busy only looking at it from the view of comic book parody ... which it is ... on the surface.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 11:17pm
The things you just mentioned were "possible" little touches, though i honestly think it was just comedy, not commentary. I didn't need to look for stuff like that because the director was trying to make a satire....and he failed. It wasnt funny, nor was it exciting, and it was incredibly predicatble with cardboard cut outs of characters: with the suprising exception of nicholas cage. The fact that the movie was like eveyr other super hero movie was not some meta joke, it happend pureley because the directors and writers didnt care to make some new ground. The princess bride and spinal tap are satire, this is most certainly not.
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 8:49am
Yes, "The Princess Bride" and "Spinal Tap" are satire. This, while it has some social commentary, is not so much a satire, as is a parody of comic book movies. It's a type of spoof film without being like say "Scary/Date/Epic/Superhero/Disaster Movie". It's not looking at the audience and going "haha, wasn't what we did so funny?". What it's doing is showing a mirror to the current fad of Hollywood making superhero movies and all the cliches that are used. That's part of a parody, showing the cliches. The hero is a nerdy high school who is not cool, cliche. If someone was trained to be a superhero at a very young age like Robin was, they might turn out like Hit Girl, cliche. I'm not saying you missed the point, but these are points to consider. Now, I'm not defending the, I'm not saying it's clever or a masterpiece, but if you're trying to tell us it should be up for Razzie consideration, sorry, it's nowhere in that realm of bad quality movie making. 
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 11:19am
I'm not saying its should be up for a Razzie, but this website was also made to complain about any film you find to be bad, as well as films you think should be nominated. 

The thing with Kick Ass is, by going through all the cliches in a bad effort to make fun of them or show commentary about them, the film itself ended up becoming one, totally devoid of originality or wit. It's like Al Gore complaining about global warming, and then buying twenty thousand gas-guzzling cars!  
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 7:51pm
I'm really not sure if you even understand how parody works, its meant to be cliched because that's what it makes fun of, cliches. If there really was a high school student trying to be a superhero, he would be getting beat up all the time. If there really was a little kid being trained since birth to be a sidekick, she would be very anti-social and violent. This is what they are paroding in the comics. I don't get why you're finding this so hard to understand, this is how parody works. 

I'm going to need some explanation of what you found to be so lacking in wit, because then we might get a better understanding here.  

ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 11:47am
Thats not parody. Thats realism. But im not talking about those moments. I'm talking about the worrying gf who wants him to stop being a super hero, the nic cage vigilante driven by revenge, the tolken black character who comes off as way wiser than anyone else (theres only one major African american cast member period, which makes me feel a little uneasy), and the betrayl by a villian who learned he actually liked the people he betryaed. Its one thing if you poke light fun at this cliches (the princess bride did that with fantasy and romance novels), but kick ass emobdied them without delevering the slightest wink towards the audience. They werent creating some sort of meta joke following the cliches in every possible manner.
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 11:48am
Besides. The watchmen film already showed us that super hero work is violent and dangerous beyond beleif. So what do we need kick ass for?
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 8:20pm
See, winking at the audience makes the parody too self-aware. Much like a Seltzerberg movie, that's the actors looking right at us with a look of "haha, wasn't what I just said funny". That's a cheap and easy laugh and doesn't take much comedic talent. I still fail to see what makes you think this isn't a fitting parody, since all the scenes are listing are cliches, which I have already pointed out are a staple of parody. 
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2010 at 8:12pm
I'm saying the cliches were handled with such dramatic weight and sincerity, that it felt that they werent really even trying to make fun of anything. That the film was in itself a cliched super hero movie. I agree to much self awareness can be bad, but too little can be just as awful. I'm sure most people don't think its razzie bad though, but i found it particulary unappealing. By going throug the cliches, the film was also predicatble as well, which made a boring experience for me.
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 10:22am
It could also be said that by using cliches while being stone-face serious about it would be paroding the more dramatic superhero movies like "Dark Knight" and "Watchmen". I'm guessing the real reason why you hate this movie so much is because you were expecting some kind of laugh out loud funny, screwball type comedy, but that's not what it turned out to be.
ramonesun View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ramonesun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 2:01pm
Laugh out loud, i doubt it. I find most super hero films devoid of humor and fun, including parody films. There was no recognition whatsover. No wink. There has to be some. Not a lot, just a little. Because then it makes it very hard to see the difference between reference and cliche mockery, or dead seriousness. The only reason there was no winking in airplane, the naked gun films, or spinal tap, was because the events were so ridiculous as to aquire no self recogniction from the actors. The events in Kick Ass sometimes seemed too plausable to just go around ignoring the audience.
FILM CRITIC AT LARGE
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 5:40pm
Yeah, it still sounds like you were hoping for an "Airplane" or "Naked Gun" type screwball comedy and you're just hating the movie for not being what you expected. You can't tell me that the superhero trying to fly but then crashing to his death wasn't worthy of so much as a chuckle, or Hit-Girl describing what her version of the Bat Signal made for a slight giggle.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 11:35pm
It wasn't what I thought it was going to be, but it wasn't a bad movie.
-Iron helps us play-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>