Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LAST CHANCE 2-B UN-ORIGINAL...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LAST CHANCE 2-B UN-ORIGINAL...
    Posted: March 12 2009 at 3:51pm

Will "Watchmen" drop because of the reasons mentioned, sure. Does the giant, blue, CGI penis also not help matters, of course. Will "Last House On The Left" be the movie to dethrone it? Hell no! That "honor" will go to "Race To Witch Mountain". Why? Two words: family friendly. That mean each ticket sale comes in packs of three, four, or more. Plus, unlike "Friday The 13th", no one born in the '80s ever heard of the original "LHOTL", so it's not like teens will be running in to see how it compares. And seeing how it's just a "Saw" knockoff, any social comments and undertones that were in the '70s version will no doubt be gone in exchange for mindless violence. I mean seriously, microwaving someone's head? It's up there with nuking the fridge. As any one of the millions of people who own a microwave will tell you, they don't work if the door is opened.

Seriously, MWG, why do you defend these movies, these remakes? I mean they don't do anything to improve the original material, all they do is update the technology, slang, and fashion for this generation, that's it. It's all "what over the top and creative ways can we kill people so the youth of the nation no longer fears violence, but instead laughs at it with joy"? As for "Taken", well, it had good "Bourne" like action and a great leading actor. "LHOTL" is just ... weak sauce. 

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 8:34pm
MWG, seriously, I feel like so much of what you say has to do with the fact that you weren't around when they still made original movies. You're settling for what they give you. For your generation, you have all of what... ONE horror movie to claim as your own, "Saw ONE". Sequels are nothing. (And no, that's not to blame anyone younger than me on the Horror movie trend.)
As for Watchmen, many movies over the years have been rated R not because of the offensive content, but because it's intended for a more mature audience. It's deeply political, and intended for a thoughtful crowd. I don't feel that it was marketed as an action movie because it had guys wearing "Batman and Robin" costumes. I've read that they intentionally made the Ozymandias costume as a direct parody. But that being said, if people are walking out of the theater pissed off because there wasn't enough action, and it doesn't make AS much money as they hoped, that's a good thing. It's smart material for smart people, and if we're so insistent on being dumb, then we shouldn't be pretending to "get it, but not like it because it made me think." Wait until it hits overseas. Europe and Asia will probably eat Watchmen up.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Michaels

Will "Watchmen" drop because of the reasons mentioned, sure. Does the giant, blue, CGI penis also not help matters, of course. Will "Last House On The Left" be the movie to dethrone it? Hell no! That "honor" will go to "Race To Witch Mountain". Why? Two words: family friendly. That mean each ticket sale comes in packs of three, four, or more. Plus, unlike "Friday The 13th", no one born in the '80s ever heard of the original "LHOTL", so it's not like teens will be running in to see how it compares. And seeing how it's just a "Saw" knockoff, any social comments and undertones that were in the '70s version will no doubt be gone in exchange for mindless violence. I mean seriously, microwaving someone's head? It's up there with nuking the fridge. As any one of the millions of people who own a microwave will tell you, they don't work if the door is opened.

Seriously, MWG, why do you defend these movies, these remakes? I mean they don't do anything to improve the original material, all they do is update the technology, slang, and fashion for this generation, that's it. It's all "what over the top and creative ways can we kill people so the youth of the nation no longer fears violence, but instead laughs at it with joy"? As for "Taken", well, it had good "Bourne" like action and a great leading actor. "LHOTL" is just ... weak sauce. 

Have you actually read any of the positive reviews for LHOTL? I don't think so. And for your information, it's actually the best of this week, seeing how Miss March has like an 8% and Race to Witch Mountain has a 36% so that just proves you wrong.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 12:47am

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Have you actually read any of the positive reviews for LHOTL? I don't think so. And for your information, it's actually the best of this week, seeing how Miss March has like an 8% and Race to Witch Mountain has a 36% so that just proves you wrong.

Wow, you seriously don't even read what is written. I said "Witch Mountain" will be #1 at the Box Office because it's family friendly, thus more people will go see it (that and like him or hate him, Dwayne Johnson's movies always make money). Do I care about whatever positive reviews "LHOTL" gets? Nope. It will be lucky if it will even break the top 5. "RTWM" will be #1 or #2, "Watchmen" will drop a few spots, Tyler Perry, "Paul Blaut", "Taken", and "Slumdog Millionaire" will all keep "LHOTL" at bay. Now it's just time to wait for the token 6 out of 10 review.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 9:32am

Wow, you seriously don't even read what is written. I said "Witch Mountain" will be #1 at the Box Office because it's family friendly, thus more people will go see it (that and like him or hate him, Dwayne Johnson's movies always make money). Do I care about whatever positive reviews "LHOTL" gets? Nope. It will be lucky if it will even break the top 5. "RTWM" will be #1 or #2, "Watchmen" will drop a few spots, Tyler Perry, "Paul Blaut", "Taken", and "Slumdog Millionaire" will all keep "LHOTL" at bay. Now it's just time to wait for the token 6 out of 10 review.

You are a so full of yourself. Of course you care about the positive reviews. That's how films AREN'T mentioned in here. The fact I proved you wrong twice just makes you look even more ignorant. Hey, look, it has a 44% in RT. RTWM has a 39%. I don't care if you think RTWM will be #1. It doesn't take a genius to think so. But again, you should be a better predictor because LHOTL beat Watchmen this Friday. Again, if you hate the movie soooo much, I feel sorry for you. You're delusional. I told you that Watchmen will drop 75+% and you don't believe me. I told you people hated Watchmen. You don't believe me. I told you LHOTL was one of the better remakes and, what a surprise, you ignored my comments. Keep digging yourself a hole until you can;t climb out of it. You're wrong and I'm right. It's not an opinion. It's a fact you'll never going to learn with this subject we're talking about. Please, take your head out of your @$$.

And the reason why I asked you if you've read the reviews is quite obvious. I don't want to use Roger Ebert again but he gave this movie a positive review, which says a lot because he usually rate horror movies below a 1.5 rating. Here's what you said:

I mean they don't do anything to improve the original material, all they do is update the technology, slang, and fashion for this generation, that's it. It's all "what over the top and creative ways can we kill people so the youth of the nation no longer fears violence, but instead laughs at it with joy"? As for "Taken", well, it had good "Bourne" like action and a great leading actor. "LHOTL" is just ... weak sauce. 

And I'm telling you to read the reviews because you're already wrong on most of these generalizations you're making on the film. Reviews have said the performances were surprisingly well acted, and slang, really, in this type of film? Why the hell would they put, "I ain't dogging on this sheeeeeet!"?! WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY PUT THAT LINE IN THE MOVIE?!

And I'm sure the over-the-top deaths are INTENTIONAL, because it's a film where a girl gets raped and her parents are killing the baddies in great ways to have the audience cheer of them. THE IS THE F*CKING POINT. I'm sorry, but if you didn't really know that...I just feel sorry for you. Do you really think that having the parents kill the baddies in such predictable ways will actually be enough for what they did? Hell no. That's why there's a creative proccess going on. The better the deaths, the more the audience will cheer, and the worst deaths the baddies will get. That's the point. Who cares if it's inhumane and Saw-like. That's not the point.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 10:47am

The original debate was that "TLHOTL" would take "Watchman"'s place as the #1 movie. Although it did knock "WM" down a notch, it isn't #1 (as of Friday), "RTWM" is, as I predicted it would be. So in those terms, we are both right and wrong. So neither one of us is smarter than the other in predicting which movie will do better.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2009 at 10:40am

Oops, I spoke too soon, in the end, I was right after all. Families and Dwayne Johnson fans made "RTWM" #1, but "Watchmen" only dropped to #2, so it was not blown out of the water by #3 "TLHOTL". Score one more victory for good, thinking man's movies. I guess people don't HATE "WM", they are just indifferent to it. It just goes to show that we at the Razzies are right, these horror movie remakes are weak sauce, just cheap money making scams to get teens who no longer think violence is ugly, unusual, and cruel, but funny, exciting, and enjoyable to watch (these people are freaks who need mental help). Next time, the studios should just re-release the original American horror movies in theaters for a week or two, or English dub or subtitle Asian horror movies. They need to stop wasting money in these times of people losing their jobs and houses on a daily basis. It is just disrespectful to the filmmaking art form. You don't see any authors trying to rewrite "Moby Dick" for the 21st Century, so why is it okay to remake classic films when 9 out of 10 times the remakes are inferior in every way? If it doesn't stop, we might one day see a "Citizen Kane" remake in which Kane becomes rich from owning a "Girls Gone Wild" style Internet website and he tries to make his Kim Kardashian wannabe celebrity type girlfriend famous by giving her a reality TV series, and then it turns out "rosebud" really was just a nickname he had for her womanhood. That is just unaccpectable. I understand people like a fun blockbuster movie that doesn't make you think too hard, but when movies insult your IQ, it's a waste of time and money for both the studios and the movie goers. Until the powers that be change their ways, we at the Razzies will always be here to bring them back down to Earth by pointing out the errors of their ways during the same time that they pat themselves on their backs for the small handfuls of good movies that they made.

CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2009 at 11:11am

Oops, I spoke too soon, in the end, I was right after all. Families and Dwayne Johnson fans made "RTWM" #1, but "Watchmen" only dropped to #2, so it was not blown out of the water by #3 "TLHOTL". Score one more victory for good, thinking man's movies. I guess people don't HATE "WM", they are just indifferent to it. It just goes to show that we at the Razzies are right, these horror movie remakes are weak sauce, just cheap money making scams to get teens who no longer think violence is ugly, unusual, and cruel, but funny, exciting, and enjoyable to watch (these people are freaks who need mental help). Next time, the studios should just re-release the original American horror movies in theaters for a week or two, or English dub or subtitle Asian horror movies. They need to stop wasting money in these times of people losing their jobs and houses on a daily basis. It is just disrespectful to the filmmaking art form. You don't see any authors trying to rewrite "Moby Dick" for the 21st Century, so why is it okay to remake classic films when 9 out of 10 times the remakes are inferior in every way? If it doesn't stop, we might one day see a "Citizen Kane" remake in which Kane becomes rich from owning a "Girls Gone Wild" style Internet website and he tries to make his Kim Kardashian wannabe celebrity type girlfriend famous by giving her a reality TV series, and then it turns out "rosebud" really was just a nickname he had for her womanhood. That is just unaccpectable. I understand people like a fun blockbuster movie that doesn't make you think too hard, but when movies insult your IQ, it's a waste of time and money for both the studios and the movie goers. Until the powers that be change their ways, we at the Razzies will always be here to bring them back down to Earth by pointing out the errors of their ways during the same time that they pat themselves on their backs for the small handfuls of good movies that they made.

You love touting that it is a crime to pump money into a movie like this, because people are losing their jobs and houses... And yet you want to take that money away from people who are putting in an honest day's work. Jim the Electrician works hard for the money he got on the set of "Hollywood Remake" (hypothetical person, not a real movie) If the Studios had said "Nope, we're not going to make these remakes, and instead we'll just re-release 'Hollywood Original'" Jim the Electrician doesn't get paid, and his wife and newborn son get kicked out on the streets.

Sure, the remakes may not be high intellectual art, but people want 'em. Railing against the concept isn't going to make them go away. Automatically dismissing a film because it isn't "original" in the end shows a sort of close-mindedness. And while I do agree that 95% of the remakes may not be great, some of them can be fun, if you watch them in the rate frame of mind.

Also, as far as the whole rewriting of stories goes, can I cite the musical "West Side Story"? West Side Story, is a play that is heavily influenced by Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. As far as the story of Romeo and Juliet goes... a quick look at the Wiki yields this information:

"Romeo and Juliet belongs to a tradition of tragic romances stretching back to antiquity. Its plot is based on an Italian tale, translated into verse as The Tragical History of Romeus and Juliet by Arthur Brooke in 1562, and retold in prose in Palace of Pleasure by William Painter in 1582. Shakespeare borrowed heavily from both, but developed supporting characters, particularly Mercutio and Paris, in order to expand the plot. Believed to be written between 1591 and 1595, the play was first published in a quarto version in 1597. This text was of poor quality, and later editions corrected it, bringing it more in line with Shakespeare's original text."

So, it would seem, that Romeo and Juliet, which was the basis for West Side Story, is just a remake of older literary pieces. That would mean, that one of the most well-loved playwrights in history, is nothing but a two bit hack, who tossed away thousands of pounds when he people were living in squalor! How dare he! Man, that Shakespeare was such a hack. Perhaps we can honor him with an honorary Razzie?

Now, much like Christian Bale, I want to say "You're a nice guy" and I mean nothing personal by this, I am just trying to point out, that you might be a little too harsh on the concept of remakes... There has to be at least one remake out there that is a guilty pleasure for you, or that you enjoyed... Somewhere through the years, there had to have been something...

Don't hate me, I really mean nothing I have said as a personal attack. Please don't take anything I say personally. If you are offended by anything I say, I apologize.
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2009 at 4:18pm
At least you guys predicted correctly about RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN to be this week's #1 movie at the weekend box office,and how much this movie will make, well, from the weekend's results, it has made $14.6 million. And, please, for once, MWG, don't try to call us the crudest people ever. You may have realized how many of us were offended by hearing that...
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2009 at 10:57am

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Now, much like Christian Bale, I want to say "You're a nice guy" and I mean nothing personal by this, I am just trying to point out, that you might be a little too harsh on the concept of remakes... There has to be at least one remake out there that is a guilty pleasure for you, or that you enjoyed... Somewhere through the years, there had to have been something...

Don't hate me, I really mean nothing I have said as a personal attack. Please don't take anything I say personally. If you are offended by anything I say, I apologize.

In truth, Frank, I don't mind you giving me your two cents about movies without having to go the way of "you people are mean" or "I know better, my GPA is 5.3". So thank you for being mature. But what is all comes down to is how you and I view movies.

Now, for the past ten years, I took a high school course in film studies, I was president of my college's film club, I studied and aced classes in theater and creative writing, I've read books about moviemaking, I've watched hours of Turner Classic Movies, the Sundance Channel and IFC, I've written screenplays that I published as novels or had produced into short films, etc. So I tend to view movies as a respected art form.

But for some people, movies are just a form of simple entertainment and nothing more. And as you can see, I view movies as being sacred and these remakes make me flip out much like a devoted Christian would when someone mocks his religion. But even if I can't understand why someone wouldn't boycott any movie that is just H-Wood's raping of classic movies that should be left alone doesn't mean I hate you as a person. So without having to bring ourselves down to name calling and insulting each other's IQ, I accept that we have totally different views on how H-Wood works and we should just let it be.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2009 at 4:19pm

Originally posted by sportsartist24

At least you guys predicted correctly about RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN to be this week's #1 movie at the weekend box office,and how much this movie will make, well, from the weekend's results, it has made $14.6 million. And, please, for once, MWG, don't try to call us the crudest people ever. You may have realized how many of us were offended by hearing that...

Offended? How can you be offended? This idiot just ignores whatever I say, even though it's valid proof. He implies LHOTL is the worst movie ever and that it won't even "break the top 5" and that it'll be "lucky if it does" and it dumbs down things for the audience. Hey, how about the fact that he ignores that this was the most favorable reviewed film last week. What about the fact that he's basically wrong on so many generalizations he has made because it's "just another stupid remake"? He's so ignorant that I can't beliee you're defending him.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 12:51am

In truth, Frank, I don't mind you giving me your two cents about movies without having to go the way of "you people are mean" or "I know better, my GPA is 5.3". So thank you for being mature. But what is all comes down to is how you and I view movies.

Now, for the past ten years, I took a high school course in film studies, I was president of my college's film club, I studied and aced classes in theater and creative writing, I've read books about moviemaking, I've watched hours of Turner Classic Movies, the Sundance Channel and IFC, I've written screenplays that I published as novels or had produced into short films, etc. So I tend to view movies as a respected art form.

But for some people, movies are just a form of simple entertainment and nothing more. And as you can see, I view movies as being sacred and these remakes make me flip out much like a devoted Christian would when someone mocks his religion. But even if I can't understand why someone wouldn't boycott any movie that is just H-Wood's raping of classic movies that should be left alone doesn't mean I hate you as a person. So without having to bring ourselves down to name calling and insulting each other's IQ, I accept that we have totally different views on how H-Wood works and we should just let it be.

I'm glad I didn't offend, sir. I hate to think that I might have offended by getting a little overly passionate about a topic.

Like you, I love movies. And while it may not seem like it, I do see them as an art, too.

But I'm glad we can agree to disagree on this one. :)
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 8:15am

Offended? How can you be offended? This idiot just ignores whatever I say, even though it's valid proof. He implies LHOTL is the worst movie ever and that it won't even "break the top 5" and that it'll be "lucky if it does" and it dumbs down things for the audience. Hey, how about the fact that he ignores that this was the most favorable reviewed film last week. What about the fact that he's basically wrong on so many generalizations he has made because it's "just another stupid remake"? He's so ignorant that I can't beliee you're defending him.

Actually, I never said it was going to be the worst movie ever. At no point did I say "Wow, this will be so bad that it will make "Trolls 2" look like "The Godfather Part 2"." I stated at the very beginning that the world really didn't need yet another horror movie remake like this. "Saw" has the torture porn market covered, we didn't need any more copycats, thank you very much. Sure, it made it into the top 5, but it didn't replace "Watchmen" as #1, "RTWM" did. So we were both right and wrong on certain levels. I can respect Frank for making his case without having to reduce himself to insults. But hey, if you want to keep it up with the name calling and personal attacks, go right ahead. All it proves is that while your GPA might be 5.3, your maturity level is 0.3.

sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 10:46am

Well, for one thing, when you called us the crudest people ever, plenty of us were discussing about that, mostly because it was like a personal insult. But I still stand by his side on what he said.

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 1:26am
Frank, I don't think people really WANT these re-makes, they're just going because they want to go to a movie, and they already know what they're getting. I can prove my point even, look at the Seltzerberg movies... They've made money, a lot of it, every time, (except for DM) and the whole point was they used imagery people were used to. It's not entirely the "unoriginal" factor that pisses me off, it's the blatant cash grabbing. And as much as it keeps Bob the Builder working, he makes 20k for his one time project, and Michael Bay makes millions and millions, for essentially going out and securing the rights. Bah... I can't think straight right now, I'm wandering, my head is killing me.
Anyway, a remake could be good, but they don't need any more of my money. I'm not rewarding their lack of effort in coming up with something unique.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2009 at 1:42am
Fair enough. I'm still willing to sift through the crap, looking for the little bits of gold. However, I even refuse to sit through the Seltzerberg style schlock... well, at least I refuse to pay to see it... My little brother wanted to go see Meet the Spartans... Better believe that the little SOB is never going to get to live that one down. I died a little inside that day... I think I can still hear my soul weeping.

However.

Those "movies", are not remakes... those are just hacks sitting in a room saying "remember that one scene in that movie? Let's do a movie with that in there!" Those are cheap, blatant rip-offs. Classifying those in with remakes, are like lumping a pile of bird crap in with a Van Gogh.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>