Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LAST CHANCE 2-B UN-ORIGINAL...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LAST CHANCE 2-B UN-ORIGINAL...
    Posted: March 11 2009 at 8:50am

THIS IS NOT ONLY the UMP-TEENth HOLLYWOOD REMAKE of an EXISTANT HORROR MOVIE of LATE, BUT IT's ALSO TECHNICALLY the THIRD VERSION of THIS SAME MATERAIL. AND EVEN THOUGH the 2009 VERSION of LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT MAY TURN OUT to BE ONLY SO-SO, WE'DE LIKE to BE OH SO CLEAR on ONE POINT:

ENOUGH with the LAZY REMAKES, ALREADY!

IN an AGE WHEN EVERY THIRD PERSON in AMERICA HAS an IDEA for a SCREENPLAY, AT LEAST 1 in 100 HAS GOTTA BE BETTER THAN the FORMULAIC, LAZY, LITERALLY GRAVE-ROBBING REMAKES THAT HAVE LITTERED the CINEMA LANDSCAPE for the PAST 5 YEARS!

PLEASE, HOLLYWOOD -- MAKE SOMETHING ORIGINAL for a CHANGE. DO SO and, WHO KNOWS, YOU COULD EVEN WIN ONE of THOSE "OTHER AWARDS" EVERYONE ACTUALLY WANTS to WIN...INSTEAD of BEING CONSIDERED a CONTENDER for OUR AWARDS... 

GIRL: "Somebody help me!  I've been taken prisoner and tortured...and told I look frighteningly like Sarah Jessica Parker!!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 9:08am
While I agree, that the remakes are a lazy film making method, there was a commenter on the IMDB that raised a good point. The originals, are sometimes just not up to snuff for the current generation of movie goers. Some people born after say 1980, may never of even heard of the Wes Craven version, and most people outside of Germany probably have absolutely no idea that the German one even exists....

The remakes, while lazy and not anywhere near as great as the originals, can sometimes raise awareness of the original, and actually cause a rise in the original's popularity. Sort of like how whenever there is a remake of one of the Japanese Horror films, Best Buy suddenly has a butt-load of copies of the Japanese original out.

Also, I will admit that I finally got around to watching the original "Day the Earth Stood Still" after the Keanu version made me want to gouge out my eyes with rusty nails... So sometimes, the evils of the remake help to highlight the virtues of the original...
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 2:41pm
Not all remakes have been that bad at all. I know a couple of remakes that have been good films, example: Insomnia and The Departed. Miami Vice, an R-rated remake of the 1980's TV series, was more in the middle of good and bad, so more of a mixed.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 3:23pm
I think that is the first time I have seen someone say something that was even mildly positive about the Miami Vice movie...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 3:40pm
That movie was listed as a possible RAZZIE contender for 2006, but because of some positive reviews, we never started a forum on that movie...
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 3:51pm
I will have to hunt down these positive reviews... I must have missed them when the movie first came out.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 3:59pm
You can look at the RT page for the reviews on MIAMI VICE. Here's a LINK to look at the reviews for MIAMI VICE...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 4:14pm
Well you are a helpful one to have around, aren't you? You bring to light the fact that not all reviews of Miami Vice bad, and then offer up a link to prove it! Thank you :)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 4:18pm
No problem whatsoever.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 8:01pm
What if books did remakes? I mean, yes, sometimes people sort of pilfer a story, but have you ever heard of a book remake? Anyone wanna take a crack at rewriting The Lord of the Rings?
I know some people can put a positive spin on the remake "menomina" (*Doo-Doooo-dadoo-doo*), but this is money that's just being poorly spent. Instead of investing $20 million on a live action remake of Steam Boat Willy, put it into something that's going to create permanent jobs for people, instead of another 8 figures into the wallet of Michael Bay and Jim Carrey.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 12:35am
This is the third (American) horror movie remake in a span of three months this year! At this rate, that means there will be 12 contenders for Worst Remake in 2010 right there! Seriously, I used to love movies, but in this day and age of H-Wood making remakes, sequels, and adaptations galore, I'm finding it hard to have respect for filmmaking in America. It's coming to a point that we have to turn to IFC for good movies, but they get no press and are barely in any theaters outside of art houses.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 5:01am
Originally posted by Michaels

This is the third (American) horror movie remake in a span of three months this year! At this rate, that means there will be 12 contenders for Worst Remake in 2010 right there! Seriously, I used to love movies, but in this day and age of H-Wood making remakes, sequels, and adaptations galore, I'm finding it hard to have respect for filmmaking in America. It's coming to a point that we have to turn to IFC for good movies, but they get no press and are barely in any theaters outside of art houses.

I pointed out in another forum, that the adaptations and remakes are not all that bad. I mean, over the last 8 Years, the Best picture winner at the Oscars was generally a remake or Adaptation (with the exception of Crash). There are some good remakes and adaptations out there, that are not only good stories, but artfully executed. The Lord of the Rings series, was almost universally praised, not only for being a fairly decent adaptation, but also for being an artistic achievement. Dark Knight as well, was an adaptation, that was just shy of amazing. The reboots, remakes, and adaptations, aren't necessarily the problem, the problem is how they are executed.

Stuff like Transformers, while not the greatest film on the planet, worked as precisely what it was created to do. It was not made to be the end all of movie-making. It was made to be a fun, summer popcorn flick, something it achieved with spades.

I am not saying that it is wrong to bash a movie (I do it all the time, it's fun). I just think that we should perhaps look at what the general population wants. As long as these movies keep making money, Hollywood will keep churning them out. Once People stop paying to see this stuff, Hollywood might start to try other things...

tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 5:47am
I'm surprised that there are not forums for either Race to Witch Mountain  or Miss March

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 9:58am
To those who complain, quit whining. At this rate, you'll probably commit suicide because there will be tons more remakes coming out this year, and you guys have to learn that NOT ALL ARE BAD. As you cannot tell by now, this and "The Uninvited" are probably the good ones so far this year. I can tell this film will be like "Taken," how it'll be an audience pleaser (if you couldn't already tell by the trailer). People love to see bad guys getting hurt so there will be a lot of praises for this movie, no doubt. In this economic downturn, people love to reach a catharsis. They love to see some things that will make them happy. This probably will do the job even though there's a rape scene.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 10:16am

Originally posted by moviewizguy

To those who complain, quit whining. At this rate, you'll probably commit suicide because there will be tons more remakes coming out this year, and you guys have to learn that NOT ALL ARE BAD. As you cannot tell by now, this and "The Uninvited" are probably the good ones so far this year. I can tell this film will be like "Taken," how it'll be an audience pleaser (if you couldn't already tell by the trailer). People love to see bad guys getting hurt so there will be a lot of praises for this movie, no doubt. In this economic downturn, people love to reach a catharsis. They love to see some things that will make them happy. This probably will do the job even though there's a rape scene.

This movie will be lucky if it places third. People will see it for what it is, a cheap remake that trying to ride the coattails of "Saw". It will be owned by "WatchMen" and "Race To Witch Mountain". Oh, and yes, not all remakes suck ... but all HORROR movie remakes do! 

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Michaels

This movie will be lucky if it places third. People will see it for what it is, a cheap remake that trying to ride the coattails of "Saw". It will be owned by "WatchMen" and "Race To Witch Mountain". Oh, and yes, not all remakes suck ... but all HORROR movie remakes do! 

Not all do...surely you can't be serious! "I am serious...and don't call be Shirley." Anyway, I think there is another more deserving film that should recieve the worst of this week. *cough*Miss March*cough*

As for Watchmen, it'll drop 75+%. Trust me. I did not like the film at all, along with several millions of other people. Here are the downfalls of Watchmen: You can't just simply market a movie one way and have the audience watch a completely different other. It was marketed as an action film but was instead a very, very, very talky, uninteresting, boring, film with dribble written all over the screen.

Another downfall is that the movie mostly appeals to those who have read the graphic novel. Considering that 80% of audiences who have seen the movie were not familiar with the GN, it'll get a bad-word-of-mouth. It already has around my school and online (including IMDb). Although it's in the top 250, it's dropping each day. The box office earnings are dropping each day. Like I said, it's going to drop like a rock this weekend.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>