Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > FAST & FURIOUS (2009)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Last & Hardly Luxurious...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last & Hardly Luxurious...
    Posted: March 31 2009 at 1:21am

Uh-oh, is the LA Times going to mention us in their paper again? Woo-hoo, more free press for us!

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 1:27am
Maybe the NY Times will mention us this time... then we can claim coast-to-coast coverage!
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 8:20am
Originally posted by moviewizguy

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

He didn't like Watchmen. It had a seeeeex scene in it... which was part of the source material. And it was apparently all about kung fu fighting that lead up to the bad guy winning at the end. But ultimately, you can see the appeal of a site that exists to slam bad movies has to a person who's a fan of everything H-Wood craps out. Someone needs to invent some HTML code or something to denote sarcasm.

Your pointless bickering adds nothing to the discussion. I don't even know why you try. Are you trying to make yourself look like a dumb idiot because it sure is working. Anyway, answering your childish comments, I said sex scene because people complained about it. I didn't mind it. I didn't mind a thing I said in the "Knowing" board. I was making a point. Everyone else complained about it. A recent poll shows that the most distracting thing in the film was, in fact, the thing itself.

lol Kiddo, your subconscious hypocrisy astounds me. Am I trying to look like a dumb idiot... and am *I* childish?
By "everyone else," I assume you mean the kids at your school, because I haven't heard a single adult complain about a scene that was integral to the plot. As for the penis, again, it's distracting because of our hang-ups, and that was part of the point. He was naked in the book. They didn't even bother to go into the fact that Captain Metropolis and Hooded Justice were gay together, or that Ozymandias was gay, either. Alan Moore does a lot of stuff that is intended to make the general public uncomfortable with his work.

But seriously, last warning on the name calling.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 9:06am

You are childish. Like I said, you talk about Watchmen when we're talking about Fast and Furious, a topic you diverged from to make me look dumb. And by "everyone else," I meant the poll that I stated before the sentence: http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=25597

And FYI, a lot of people in my school liked the movie, so, again, your assumptions are waaaaaay off the page.

lol Kiddo, your subconscious hypocrisy astounds me. Am I trying to look like a dumb idiot... and am *I* childish?
By "everyone else," I assume you mean the kids at your school, because I haven't heard a single adult complain about a scene that was integral to the plot. As for the penis, again, it's distracting because of our hang-ups, and that was part of the point. He was naked in the book. They didn't even bother to go into the fact that Captain Metropolis and Hooded Justice were gay together, or that Ozymandias was gay, either. Alan Moore does a lot of stuff that is intended to make the general public uncomfortable with his work.

But seriously, last warning on the name calling.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 9:23am

I'll explain this one more time: I never complained about the sex scene, the dong, and the bad guys winning. And you imply that Knowing was mainly about aliens because you read a plot summary. People who actually saw the movie know this isn't the truth. It's like saying "Watchmen" is a superhero movie, or "The Crucible" is about a witches. THE MOVIE IS NOT ABOUT FREAKING ALIENS! The fact you get worked on it soooo much shows that you can't handle a single thing in movies, so why bother watching movies at all?

Originally posted by Michaels

And once again, we go back to the "sex scene and bad guy winning equals bad movie because I wasn't able to read between the lines of what those scenes were really about, but movie with alien/angels at the end some how made me "think" equals good movie".

I'll explains this one more time, the bad guy won because he achieved world peace because he made countries look past their differences and join together to fight a common foe, the no longer human Dr. Manhattan. Comparing that to nuking Japan makes no sense. Japan was a showcase of "We are America, we have this new weapon, so we are the new superpower. Give up this war or else we will keep killing your people in the millions". In "Watchmen", it was "People of Earth need to look past our hate towards our fellow man because there is a new threat in the form of this demi-god who no longer relates to us and is now attacking us because he thinks we are inferior". But hey, the bad guy winning in the end isn't your thing, big plot twist endings are. Every forum needs a black sheep to argue with everyone just for the sake of arguing. 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 12:16pm
[QUOTE=moviewizguy]

You are childish. Like I said, you talk about Watchmen when we're talking about Fast and Furious, a topic you diverged from to make me look dumb. And by "everyone else," I meant the poll that I stated before the sentence: http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=25597

And FYI, a lot of people in my school liked the movie, so, again, your assumptions are waaaaaay off the page.

I was talking about Watchmen because HeadRazz was wondering if there was a movie you didn't like. Thus, my reference was relevant.
Looking at one discussion board does not constitute "everyone else." Furthermore, the people who were complaining about the movie clearly state that they didn't know anything about the graphic novel beforehand, and didn't expect to see R-rated material in an R-Rated movie. On that same note, the discussion to which you pointed me sheds light on another problem in American cinema, people either don't research the movis they're going to see (in terms of content). They just go to whatever has the flashiest lights, most explosions, and craziest special effects. Which is why Fast & Furious will make as much money as it will. There, back on topic even. How do ya like that?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 12:38pm
Also, I've now read everything on that thread you linked to, and the way you characterized their discussion was way off. Most of the people liked it. There were a couple of comments about the Doc. Some people didn't like it, but it was at least 60% in favor. If you're talking about that "Poll," are you SURE it's not meant to be a joke? I'm not seeing any percentages, citacions, or any sort of data to back it up. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more penis topics than anything else, but 75%?
Anyway, the comments on that forum don't support your claims. There were a couple of comments slid in there about the sex scene being cheesy, and people giggling at the penis, and the fight scenes being over-the-top (which didn't seem over-the-top enough for you, even). Most people said they liked it, even if it weren't perfect.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 2:47pm

I liked parts of Watchmen, but it turned out to be disappointing. I went in knowing what to expect. I did my research like 54654054 months before the movie (or at the time WB announced the greenlight). I knew it would be long and that it would be very talky, yet it was still disappointing. However, I very do appreciate that it's different from other superhero movies, straying away from the usual stereotypes of superhero movies. I liked that it was original.

Also, I've now read everything on that thread you linked to, and the way you characterized their discussion was way off. Most of the people liked it. There were a couple of comments about the Doc. Some people didn't like it, but it was at least 60% in favor. If you're talking about that "Poll," are you SURE it's not meant to be a joke? I'm not seeing any percentages, citacions, or any sort of data to back it up. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more penis topics than anything else, but 75%?
Anyway, the comments on that forum don't support your claims. There were a couple of comments slid in there about the sex scene being cheesy, and people giggling at the penis, and the fight scenes being over-the-top (which didn't seem over-the-top enough for you, even). Most people said they liked it, even if it weren't perfect.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 5:21pm

Looking at one discussion board does not constitute "everyone else."

Thank you for making that statement. I was just going to say what is said on the IMDb message boards is not the total combined sum of the what the movie going public thinks, it's just a fraction, just as this message board is not the entire sum of voting Razzie members, just a small amount of them (MWG not being one of them).

Oh, and as for "not handling a single thing about movies", you must have missed my background on that, so I'll repeat it. I had classes in film studies in high school, I was the president of my college's film club (where I also made short films), I read about movies in books, I studied all types of movies on Turner Classic Movies, the Sundance Channel, and The Independent Film Channel, I've written and published screenplays, and I've produced indie films. In other words, I think I would be able to "handle" movies, thank you very much.  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Michaels

Oh, and as for "not handling a single thing about movies", you must have missed my background on that, so I'll repeat it. I had classes in film studies in high school, I was the president of my college's film club (where I also made short films), I read about movies in books, I studied all types of movies on Turner Classic Movies, the Sundance Channel, and The Independent Film Channel, I've written and published screenplays, and I've produced indie films. In other words, I think I would be able to "handle" movies, thank you very much.  

See, I look at your list of qualifications, and I have to be impressed, even if I don't always agree with your stance on certain topics. My training in theater usually fell in front of the camera, rather then behind. Although I did do a lot of light and sound work, too.

One of these days, I'm going to have to inquire after these screen plays you talk about...
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 2:19am

Hey, I'm just trying to explain that I'm not some dumbass off the street who goes around claiming he knows everything about movies when in reality he knows next to nothing. Most people here have watched movies that came out before 1977, and we have even worked professionally in the business, so I think we might have a much more creditable say as to what is a good movie and what is a bad one. 

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

See, I look at your list of qualifications, and I have to be impressed, even if I don't always agree with your stance on certain topics. My training in theater usually fell in front of the camera, rather then behind. Although I did do a lot of light and sound work, too.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2009 at 1:58am
Though what I thought was surprising was that The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift didn't get a single RAZZIE nod back in 2006. I actually was shocked at that time.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2009 at 9:25am

Originally posted by sportsartist24

Though what I thought was surprising was that The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift didn't get a single RAZZIE nod back in 2006. I actually was shocked at that time.

Shocked? Have you seen the film?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2009 at 9:27am

The way I see it, there are only so many crappy movies that can be nominated...take a look at the rest of the crap that was nominated, and ask yourself, "Was this a crappier movie then Tokyo Drift?"

In the end you'll probably have at least one or two instances where the answer is no...and all I can say, is we have a chance this year to fix that grievous error. :)
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 1:32am

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Shocked? Have you seen the film?

Translation: "Shocked? Have you seen the film? It was awesome! Who cares if the dialog, plot, and characters were all lacking?! It was entertaining, and that's I care about when it comes to movies! All it needed was a twist ending that makes you "think" it would have gone straight into my top 5 movies of all time!"

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 7:58am

You must not have stuck around for the "twist ending" where it was revealed that almost the entire movie never actually happened, but was a possibility of what COULD happen.

....oh wait, that was that awful "Knowing"... never mind.

Edit: This is what happens when I try to make jokes only a little bit after getting up... I screw up my Nic Cage jokes... Obviously, that should say "Next" up there... but I figured I'd leave it up there in the original format, just for my own personal amusement.

Shocked? Have you seen the film?[/QUOTE]

Translation: "Shocked? Have you seen the film? It was awesome! Who cares if the dialog, plot, and characters were all lacking?! It was entertaining, and that's I care about when it comes to movies! All it needed was a twist ending that makes you "think" it would have gone straight into my top 5 movies of all time!"

[/QUOTE]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>