Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > GET SMART
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Let’s Hope It DOES "Get Smart" with Us!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let’s Hope It DOES "Get Smart" with Us!!
    Posted: June 09 2008 at 5:27am

THE LAST TIME THEY MADE a THEATRICAL FILM from THIS MATERIAL, IT WAS a WORST PICTURE NOMINEE (1980's THE NUDE BOMB). THIS TIME, THEY GOT SMART ABOUT CASTING THEIR LEADS, BUT LOTSA FOLKS BEHIND the CAMERA on THIS VERSION HAVE DISTURBINGLY RAZZIE®-READY RESUME'S... 

SO, WILL THE RESULT BE a SMART REMAKE of a 60s TV CLASSIC...OR a SHELF-MATE for the RAZZIE® "WINNING" 1999 REMAKE of WILD WILD WEST and 2005's BEFUDDLED  BEWITCHED??

FEEL FREE to LET US KNOW YOUR TAKE on IT BELOW...

Carell: "OMG, we have got to get off this plane...the in-flight movie is EVAN ALMIGHTY!!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 8:46am
I think this might be funny. Hopefully, this will let Steve redeem himself for "Evan Almighty."   
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 9:09am
Steve's one of the best comedic actors in the US. I think he'll do a good job. I think (Like HeadRazzBerry said), it's well cast. Alan Arkin looks a lot like the original Chief, Anne Hathaway has been good in every film I've seen her in, and Dwayne Johnson has a surprising knack for comedy. He probably gave the best performance in Be Cool ( That's probably because James Woods' role was so short) and that one had Oscar nominees John Travolta, Uma Thurman, and Harvey Keitel.
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 9:45am
Directed by a guy who usually does Adam Sandler comedies, and from the writers of Failure to Launch...

I'm sorry, but I have no faith in this one. Being based on a TV series makes me wary of it, as does Carell's choice in scripts. And the promos just make the humor look horribly generic. It may be well cast, but I think it's going to take more than that to salvage this operation.
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 2:42pm

I think Peter Segal did one of the "Naked Gun" movies.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZBerry: Yes, Segal directed NAKED GUN 33-and-1/3...which "won" two 1994 RAZZIES...

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 3:15pm

The trailers seem promising.  I'm looking forward to this one.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 3:55pm
I have a feeling this one is going to be funny, or at least amusing. Poor Steve Carell was just the victim of being in a sequel to a Jim Carrey movie, without Jim Carrey (will Hollywood ever learn to NOT make those?). Unlike Will Ferrell, Carell doesn't make the same movie over and over. And he remains funny. I'm actually looking forward to this, since I was a fan of the TV series and this has a decent cast.
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2008 at 8:09am

I (along with everybody else in this thread, it looks like) am hoping that this will go against the odds and be a worthy big screen adaption of a beloved cult classic T.V. series. The main thing is, will Steve Carell be as convincing a "Maxwell Smart" as the Late (and Great) Don Adams? If so, then the rest should fall into place -- especially considering the the rest of the supporting cast.

One last note in Steve Carell's defense on Evan Almighty: I agree with Michaels, and feel that due to Evan being a spin-off sequel of a Jim Carrey vehicle that the movie itself was too heavily compared to Bruce Almighty, when it should have been cast in a different light to begin with. At the risk like sounding like moviewizguy Overall Evan was watchable and entertaining .

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 6:26am
lol, don't worry. I also found Evan Almighty a harmless movie for the family because it was tolerable and entertaining enough. It's just the fact that it's unnecessary that people don't like it.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 3:09pm
Don Adams' best role was, of course Tennessee Tuxedo, which, inevitably, will also find its way to the silver screen. It's only a matter of time. I know that Get Smart still has a pretty big cult following, but count me among those who never figured out why. All and all, The Beverly Hillbillies was more intelligent. Of course, if this movie does squat at the box-office, it will spawn 50 sequels because frankly, Carell and Dwayne Johnson need the work.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 4:45pm

Loved those "Naked Gun" movies! Pure comedy classics. Nobody makes comedy spoofs like they used to. Last great American spoof movie was "Dracula: Dead and Loving It".

Originally posted by Movie Man

I think Peter Segal did one of the "Naked Gun" movies.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZBerry: Yes, Segal directed NAKED GUN 33-and-1/3...which "won" two 1994 RAZZIES...

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 10:34am
ehh, the cast is most appealing, but alot of the previews aren't as funny as I
hoped; I still might see it Friday.
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 12:46pm
Well, As of right now it's not looking to hot for "Get Smart", The reviews are sitting at 44% and even the fresh reviews are pretty tame.
The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 6:12pm

Originally posted by ITbeast

Well, As of right now it's not looking to hot for "Get Smart", The reviews are sitting at 44% and even the fresh reviews are pretty tame.

Currently, it's at 58%, but there's only 12 reviews.  The fresh reviews, like you said, are all tame, but most of the negative reviews are tame, too.  There's a few, of course, but it's like no one is really going to bat for the film, nor are they taking a bat to the film.  It just may not be bad enough.

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 2:13am
If the current reviews eventually reflect the overall trend, it's obvious that Get Smart the movie will be very much in the spirit of the old TV series...a magnificent monument to mediocrity...
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 10:58am
Cool! Love Guru has a 10% in RT! Wait, why isn't it on this site?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>