Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > GET SMART
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Let’s Hope It DOES "Get Smart" with Us!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let’s Hope It DOES "Get Smart" with Us!!
    Posted: June 18 2008 at 1:18pm
Particularly galling was Peter Segal's remarks lately that he considered the original series a "silly Cold War type" (which begs the inevitable question why he even bothered signing on in the first place).  Forgetting that it's not the time period that counts with these things but how the material therein is rendered.  Even more so was he and the writers insisted they knew what they were doing, then backtracked and tried to cuddle up to Buck Henry, Mel Brooks and Leonard Stern ("Uh, Siegfried, sorry about that crack about the oversized mustache.") 
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 1:26pm

Further, since the typing segments seem to have some difficulties at the moment on my server, Segal was out of line claiming they needed to upgrade 99 on the basis he found her a "docile product of her era." (are we sure he's not part of a KAOS plot to destroy the world?)  I rather would have to agree with the webmaster at WouldYouBelieve.com who thinks he was watching the Dick Van Dyke Show instead, for on the contrary, 99 as done by Barbara Feldon was a strong female character for the time, and a positive role model to boot.  Making her a flat, boring kick-rear action female that gets way overused in film today and is just as sexist as a suppressed woman was a major mistake that I hope the fans will hold against them. 

Lastly and foremost, they miss the entire basis of Maxwell Smart's character:  he's a competent and caring agent who always means well, he simply tries a little too hard at times, not a total idiot who's in way over his head.  The makers of The Nude Bomb forgot this as well, as did the makers of the short lived Fox remake series in the mid 90s, and now these people--if you can even call them that since their intelligence is clearly below human average--have taken this mistake to its ultimate ends.  Perhaps if this somehow makes $200 million, we should all just put our coffee cups to our temples and pull the triggers rather than have to live with the shame. 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 2:38pm
At 58% at RT, that means it not Razzie worthy, since the standard is 20% and below. "Love Guru" looks just plain stupid and should be here instead. I looks like another Mike Myers laughing at his own jokes movie.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 4:57pm

Hindsight is ever 20/20 and prescience is not a claimed talent for anyone here...so far as I am aware. In defense of Head Razz, I'd have been inclined to subject Get Smart to our scrutiny rather than The Love Guru as well.

For one thing, adaptations of old television series have a dismal record when translated into contemporary movies. For another, Mike Myers has a decent track record. Some of his films have been pretty marginal, but few have decended to a level worthy of much consideration from the Razzie membership, at least up until now.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 5:39pm
I saw that Get Smart was 54% on RT and Love Guru was 17%
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 7:23am

As of right now RT already passed judgment on "Get Smart" saying overall this is more or less a "mediocre" summer flick, As it stands it is sitting at 53% on the meter.

Now Love Guru on the other hand is sitting at a whopping 9% at RT, I think this maybe the worst movie of Mike Meyers career thus far (maybe even beating out "Cat in The Hat").

To add on to what I have already summaried here is an article from IMDB...

Love Guru -- Worst Film Of The Year?

19 June 2008 10:37 AM, PDT

Mike Myers's The Love Guru , which is being released on Friday, is receiving so many blistering early reviews that Los Angeles Times writer Tom O'Neil, who tracks films up for major awards in his column "Gold Derby," is predicting that the film may be a shoo-in for the Razzie for worst film of the year. For example, Moira Macdonald in the Seattle Times calls it "preadolescent humor with a few sitars thrown in." But Kirk Honeycutt in the Hollywood Reporter observes that Guru will have competition for the worst-film title from Get Smart, which also opens on Friday. Honeycutt concludes: "Quite possibly Love Guru will out-awful Get Smart."

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 1:48pm

We all must remember, too, that one of Myers' co-stars in The Love Goofus is. . . .

JESSICA ALBA-TROSS!!!!

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 5:13pm

RAZZ, I'm just a little confused at this moment...

Why is "Get Smart" The Worst Pick of the weak when it is 5% shy of being "fresh" over at RT and "Love Guru" witch is piratically screaming straight out "Worst Picture of the Year" (Or more to the point the worst picture of Mike Meyer's career) and currently sitting at by the way is 90% negative over at RT, why are we not choosing the more "obvious" of the 2 as worst picture.

I can see "Get Smart" as second pick (even through that's even stretching it thin), Your thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 2:17am
Why this? Where is The Love Guru? It would be outrageous if The Love Guru was not the Bonus worst movie of the week. This is crazy talk. I never expected to see Get Smart. Never ever never ever ever!!!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 4:24am

It is worthy of mention, as I did above, that Head Razz has neither the benefit of hindsight nor the gift of prescience. In making the decision between Get Smart and the Love Guru as potential "worst of the week," the wrong selection may have been made.

But faced with having to decide which movie would potentially be the worst of the two, I suspect he made the more rational guess. As previously noted, adaptations of old TV series are invariably bad. On the other hand, Mike Myers movies over the years have tended to be no worse than mediocre.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 11:04am
49% at RottenTomatoes. So it can be all that bad. Yeah, a remake, like I never heard that before. But I saw it and I hardly thought it was bad. Though I wish Steve Carrell can stop winking at the audience, because he sounds like a low-rent Will Ferrell or Ellen Page here.

Speaking of that, I would like to know how Juno is such a damn popular movie. I saw the trailers in Movie Gallery, and I swear I wanted to run, because of all the non-stop quips and bullsh*t on screen. Maybe it's me, but Oscar-nominated films are films that are realistic, not cartoonish and 2D as that.

Still, I'll take a thousand Get Smarts over one Juno. f**k off if you think I'm bullsh*tting.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 11:41am
And Roger Ebert said he liked the movie too, giving it 3 1/2 stars. So while it is in the Rotten mode, I don't think it's too worthy of razzie material.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 2:37pm

Just saw it.  I laughed throughout the film, and there were no groaners here that I wouldn't expect to see in a Get Smart episode.  It was great to see Bernie Kopell make a cameo, as well as all the subtle and not-so-subtle references to the old series and Don Adams career (for examples, in the legal pad notes, you'll see very clearly written "The Claw", which was the archnemesis in the Inspector Gadget cartoons, and Adams did the voice for Gadget).  My favorite scene was Smart trying to shoot off the tie-wrap around his wrists with his miniature crossbow in an airline toilet.  I loved Terence Stamp milking the over-the-top Siegfried role for all its worth.  Forgive me, but I confused Terence Stamp with Malcolm McDowell, so when they used "Ode to Joy" from Beethoven's 9th Symphony, I expected to go down the hospital hall in A Clockwork Orange all over again.  And speaking of performances, all the actors performed well.  There is so much going well in this film.

That said, though, overall, the film was weak.  My friend wished there was more, and I have to agree with her.  The only thing missing from Steve Carrell's performance was the wonderful expressiveness of Don Adams' face, but that's a difference between the two actors I expect.  I also wish Barbara Feldon had made a cameo like Kopell did. 

I disagree with what one critic said, that the Maxwell Smart in this movie was an idiot who lacked the TV's Smart's competent-yet-always-tries-too-hard approach.  This Smart had very much the same approach throughout the movie, from using psychology and understanding to befriend a brute to placing bombs throughout a factory to collapse it to dancing gracefully and respectfully with a full-figured woman (another scene that had me laughing).

I give this movie a 6 out of 10. 

Now, another friend is dragging me to see The Love Guru tomorrow.  Pray for me.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 5:06pm

Originally posted by RoadDogXVIII

Speaking of that, I would like to know how Juno is such a damn popular movie. I saw the trailers in Movie Gallery, and I swear I wanted to run, because of all the non-stop quips and bullsh*t on screen. Maybe it's me, but Oscar-nominated films are films that are realistic, not cartoonish and 2D as that.

I saw Juno, and I thought it was a pretty good movie...quirky, orginal and a straightforward treatment of a potentially sensitive issue. Ellen Page was outstanding, and definitely deserved her Oscar nomination. The fact that the movie also received a Best Picture nomination might well speak more to the weakness of the field last year than the film's own virtues, nonetheless, it was entertaining and worth watching.

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 4:43am
I loved Juno. The dialog was witty and humorous. Performances were great. From the start, I was like, "Something is suspicious with the couple" and you know what, there was something suspicious with the couple! It was all too perfect (the whole adoption process).
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 4:18pm
I'm sure I speak for alot of people when I say this, but why is this getting
cremated and that ugly Love Guru is getting off without a trace, not to
mention it features Jessica Alba as the love interest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>