Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Disagree w/Any Past RAZZIES®??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Let’s stop the Sly slagging please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vega six Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let’s stop the Sly slagging please
    Posted: July 07 2008 at 6:37am
Go pick on someone new-there is so many bad actors going around today. Angelina Jolie for instance- one disaster after another. Lets move on people please
Balboa6 View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Balboa6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 11:15am
I couldn't agree more. First of all, anyone who truly believes Sylvester Stallone is even remotely close to being the worst anything (actor, writer, or director) has to have been living under a rock. He's not even a "bad" actor, let alone even close to being the worst actor ever.

Frankly, it's difficult to even find the words to express how sick and tired I am of Sly being bashed. He has made a few sub par movies. Big deal. Who hasn't? Al Pacino, Robert Deniro, Marlon Brando, Gary Oldman--the list goes on and on--are all great actors and have made bad movies. What gets me the most is this thing people do where they take a version of Rocky that they exaggerated to such a degree that it doesn't even resemble the character anymore, let alone Stallone, and they apply that to the man (the actor). Sylvester Stallone is an extremely intelligent--borderline genius-- man, very articulate and sophisticated and speaks with clarity and good diction. When people make fun of him, I always ask them, have you ever in your life seen an interview with him or watched any of his movies?

Sylvester Stallone is one of the greatest actors of the past 30 years and has made numerous remarkable films. He has an amazing ability to think on camera. His eyes project so many complex emotions and thought processes that without even saying anything the audience knows exactly what's going on in his head. He also has tremendous emotional range and has shown a lot of diversity. The problem is that nobody listens or pays any attention. They're too busy acting like children and ridiculing people. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but if it is an uninformed one you better believe someone will call you out on it because not everyone is as ignorant as those who lie about Sylvester Stallone and make him out to be the way people at the Razzies do.  Only an idiot would label him the worst actor of all time.

At any rate, the Razzies are an absolute joke. I'm guessing either teenagers, frat boys, or old, pretentious assholes who haven't got a clue are behind them.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 1:57pm

Originally posted by Balboa6

I couldn't agree more. First of all, anyone who truly believes Sylvester Stallone is even remotely close to being the worst anything (actor, writer, or director) has to have been living under a rock. He's not even a "bad" actor, let alone even close to being the worst actor ever.

Let's take this point by point. First of all, I'm not aware that anyone here has ever made the claim that Stallone is the worst at anything. Nonetheless, he has a long career of laughably bad movies.

Frankly, it's difficult to even find the words to express how sick and tired I am of Sly being bashed. He has made a few sub par movies. Big deal. Who hasn't? Al Pacino, Robert Deniro, Marlon Brando, Gary Oldman--the list goes on and on-

If you are that sick of Stallone being bashed, it seems to me that the simple solution is to avoid sites, or posts where it is going on. I don't like Rush Limbaugh, so I don't listen to him. Simple enough? (Even for a Stallone fan?) Let it be noted, however, that typically, where there is smoke, there is fire. Where there is lots of smoke, there is a raging inferno. Given that you evidently run into LOTS of Stallone bashing, maybe it's time to recognize that your personal tastes run significantly counter to the mainstream.  Nothing wrong with that...if eating cockroaches appeals to you, bon appetite, but don't criticize everyone else when they express their distaste for dining with you.

Further, 1. Stallone has made more than a few sub par movies...in point of fact, he has made several that were downright bad, and 2. he has never done anything that ranks alongside the sublime levels attained by some of the other actors you mentioned above.

What gets me the most is this thing people do where they take a version of Rocky that they exaggerated to such a degree that it doesn't even resemble the character anymore,

Umm, didn't Stallone do that to himself in his last Rocky movie?

Sylvester Stallone is an extremely intelligent--borderline genius--

I'm sorry. I can listen to just about anything with a sense of humor and grace...up to a point. Then sometimes, someone says something so incredibly ridiculous that it just goes over the line. The most overused and over applied word in the entire English language is "genius." I've heard it applied to all sorts of people..football coaches, now even a second rate actor. Sorry. I've known and worked with people that are legitimate, honest to god geniuses. There is no definiton of the term you can present to me that will allow me to accept Stallone as being one.

Sylvester Stallone is one of the greatest actors of the past 30 years and has made numerous remarkable films.

You are entitled to your opinion, but recognize it for what it is. I dare say that you would have trouble reasonably defending that argument in most venues even outside of this board. In point of fact, about all anyone has to do to refute it is simply pop in the video of him singing Drinkenstein.

Only an idiot would label him the worst actor of all time.

Again, that is a claim that no one here, that I am aware of has made. Advance any argument you please, but at least do us one courtesy: If you wish to argue whether or not Stallone is the worst actor or whatever of all-time, go find someone who has advanced the Stallone is the worst side of that argument.

At any rate, the Razzies are an absolute joke. I'm guessing either teenagers, frat boys, or old, pretentious assholes who haven't got a clue are behind them.

My experience is that the membership here represents a pretty broad cross section of people. I for one, have been circling Sol on this rock for somewhat more than 50 years, and I believe Head Razz is a tad older. I was never member of a frat...time didn't permit that kind of thing while working toward my Bachelors of Science in Astronomical Sciences, my Masters in Physics or my PhD in Planetary Astronomy specializing in structures and atmospheric dynamics of the large gaseous planets of our solar system.

My IQ is above normal, but I believe, much as did the late, great evolutionary biologist Dr. Stephen Jay Gould, that the recording and adherence to numbers of that nature tend to pigeon hole people, frequently discouraging, rather than advancing individual potentials. That is beside the point, but I have a distaste for efforts to lump people into presorted groups based upon an established bias of ignorance. Based upon the talented presentations of most of the posters here, even those with whom I have had disagreeements, I find them to be a delightful, creative and interesting group of people.

We tend to have our laughs, share our thoughts and present ideas right here on this board, sometimes arguing forcefully for ideas or positions, but always respectful of each other. To the best of my knowledge, the very idea of going to a Stallone fan board for the express purpose of flaming would be regarded as gouche. Character attacks are almost non-existant here, except, curiously, when Stallone supporters come aboard and unleash their seemingly inevitable ad hominem attacks.

In any event, thank you for adding yet another tagline to my now lengthy list of introductory, descriptive phrases..."old pretentious asshole without a clue." Geez, ITBeast...you are right! It's always about our backsides...well, except for that one about our male plumbing.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 5:12pm
Balboa6, my advice is that you put down a mere amount of $25 to become a Razzie member, and vote for Uwe Boll if you hate all this Stallone bashing. This place hates the Sly Guy with a passion, no matter what you say. So if you don't want to see him get a Career Award, join the voters and make sure the right HACK gets the Award ... Uwe "Freakin' Retard" Boll.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 10:59pm

I've defined the distinction in detail in the past, but a shorter treatment is evidently in order. No one here, that I am aware of, "hates Stallone with a passion" or even without one to the best of my knowledge. I, personally, don't have much respect for his career body of work, or for him as a human being, but recognize 1. It is impossible for a "place" to hate, and 2. The word is inappropriately strong.

Originally posted by Michaels

Balboa6, my advice is that you put down a mere amount of $25 to become a Razzie member, and vote for Uwe Boll if you hate all this Stallone bashing. This place hates the Sly Guy with a passion, no matter what you say. So if you don't want to see him get a Career Award, join the voters and make sure the right HACK gets the Award ... Uwe "Freakin' Retard" Boll.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 1:59am

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here's a challenge for those Stallone Defenders swarming all over this Forum of late:

Other than the original ROCKY (for which Sly was a Best Actor  nominee) name FIVE FILMS the man has made where he gave performances that were Oscar® caliber rather than RAZZIE®-worthy. To assist you in this fool's errand, here's a LINK to Stallone's credits on the IMDb. According to their list, Stallone has made over 50 film appearances.

But I still bet you can't name even THREE that anyone but a Rabid Sly Fan could read with a straight face...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vega six View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vega six Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 4:02am

The oscars are a joke- only the most boring and lame movies get oscar wins. Entertainment is key

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Vega six

The oscars are a joke- only the most boring and lame movies get oscar wins. Entertainment is key

"Entertainment is key."  Hmmmm.  Are you saying all that matters is being fat, dumb and happy?  Just wondering. . . .

Balboa6 View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Balboa6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 5:02am

Five titles aside from any of the Rocky films? Absolutely.

Oscar-worthy doesn't work, because that's subjective (there are people who have been nominated or won Oscars that in my opinion did not deserve them), but as far as great performances go, here are just five:

FIST
Lock Up
Cop Land
First Blood
Assassins 

You want more? Those are just five. Also, just to let you know, Gary Oldman has never won an Oscar. Christian Bale hasn't either, nor has Alan Rickman, Ralph Fiennes, Kevin Bacon, etc. Using "Oscar-worthy" as some sort of scale to measure an actor's talent is pretty ridiculous.

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here's a challenge for those Stallone Defenders swarming all over this Forum of late:

Other than the original ROCKY (for which Sly was a Best Actor  nominee) name FIVE FILMS the man has made where he gave performances that were Oscar® caliber rather than RAZZIE®-worthy. To assist you in this fool's errand, here's a LINK to Stallone's credits on the IMDb. According to their list, Stallone has made over 50 film appearances.

But I still bet you can't name even THREE that anyone but a Rabid Sly Fan could read with a straight face...

Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 8:43am

Are you kidding?? You found F.I.S. T. to be a quality film? When I saw it years ago, Stallone's performance was so badly mumbled that in one scene, when his character began speaking Polish, the audience couldn't tell he wasn't still conversing in English!

Of your list, only Cop Land actually got okay reviews (though it was a box office bomb). Lock Up and Assassins, if I'm remembering correctly, were both among Sly's numerous Worst Actor-nominated performaces. And as for the original First Blood, although it was one of Stallone's few non-Rocky successes, it was also dramatically so over-the-top that every audience I've ever seen it with laughed out loud at his his emotionally overwrought big speech/break-down near the end.

Face it: While Stallone used to be a box office powerhouse, he's never been a very good actor. And with the relative financial failures of his recent attempts to revive both Rocky and Rambo, he doesn't even have the "but I'm a big star" argument to excuse his existence anymore...

Everything SUX!
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 9:09am

None of those movies are good.  I'd take Stallone's performance in Cliffhanger over any of those movies.  They were entertaining, but in a cheesy way, not a good way.

I'd say Stallone's best performances were in Rocky, Rocky Balboa and Nighthawks.  Anyone want to add to that list?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 3:18pm

Well, let's not permit this discussion to deteriorate into a pathetic presentation of generalizations....or....

Far be it from me to sternly defend the Oscars...some pretty undeserving, even downright bad films have walked away with the statue. In the "pretty undeserving" category, Rocky comes immediately to mind. On the other hand, some very entertaining and some not necessarily entertaining, but otherwise sublime films have managed to catch Academy gold...

Gone With the Wind

Casablanca

It Happened One Night

On the Waterfront

Lawrence of Arabia

A Man for All Seasons

The Godfather

Schindler's List

Well, those are a few of my favorites and there are other outstanding selections, as well as a few not so good. The AMPAS has had some glaring misses, but they have managed to get it right now and again too; so let's at least give credit where it is due and not simply toss out the baby with the bathwater.

Just as an aside, what, if anything, did you find "entertaining" (if in fact, that is truly the key) about the most recent Rambo movie? Inquiring minds want to know...or at least I do. Frankly, I don't think that anyone outside of the Loyal Order of Vlad the Impailer Worshippers could have found a second's worth of entertainment value in that film....Uh, wait a moment...I did get a chuckle when big Johnny was out fishing with his bow and arrow. It looked for all the world like he was madly attempting to murder a body of water. That made me laugh, but I don't think I was supposed to at that moment. The scene was even more unintentionally hilarious in the movie than it was in the trailer.

Balboa6 View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Balboa6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2008 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by cvcjr13

None of those movies are good. 

They obviously are, or I wouldn't have listed them. Period.

Balboa6 View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote Balboa6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2008 at 4:49pm

You obviously completely missed the entire point of the last Rambo film and why that particular story was selected. If all you see is "violence" and you can't see anything beyond that or understand the reasoning behind it, that's incredibly sad.

Rocky absolutely deserved to win for Best Picture for numerous. People can bitch all they want about All The Presidents Men or Taxi Driver not winning, but that's just the way it is. Does it mean they aren't great because they didn't win for Best Picture? The way people measure the greatness of films--whether they've won Oscars, what critics think, etc--is just absurd. The entire point of art is communicating (in different forms) and building a sense of unity by taking a certain ideology (typically something universal) and putting it into the form of a fictional story, a novel, a song, etc. To me, what seems most important is its effect on people and Rocky has had a profound impact on the lives of many, many people.

It doesn't matter what Sly does though--he could be in a movie where you hardly recognized him because of the extent of a physical alteration he happened to be undertaking and he changed his vocal patterns and was surrounded by nothing but other great, oscar nominated actors, and he was being directed by some world renouned director and even if he ended up winning multiple oscars... no matter what happens you people will ALWAYS find something wrong with it even if there isn't anything. It's just the way it is, but it certainly doesn't make your words true. :D

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Well, let's not permit this discussion to deteriorate into a pathetic presentation of generalizations....or....

Far be it from me to sternly defend the Oscars...some pretty undeserving, even downright bad films have walked away with the statue. In the "pretty undeserving" category, Rocky comes immediately to mind. On the other hand, some very entertaining and some not necessarily entertaining, but otherwise sublime films have managed to catch Academy gold...

Gone With the Wind

Casablanca

It Happened One Night

On the Waterfront

Lawrence of Arabia

A Man for All Seasons

The Godfather

Schindler's List

Well, those are a few of my favorites and there are other outstanding selections, as well as a few not so good. The AMPAS has had some glaring misses, but they have managed to get it right now and again too; so let's at least give credit where it is due and not simply toss out the baby with the bathwater.

Just as an aside, what, if anything, did you find "entertaining" (if in fact, that is truly the key) about the most recent Rambo movie? Inquiring minds want to know...or at least I do. Frankly, I don't think that anyone outside of the Loyal Order of Vlad the Impailer Worshippers could have found a second's worth of entertainment value in that film....Uh, wait a moment...I did get a chuckle when big Johnny was out fishing with his bow and arrow. It looked for all the world like he was madly attempting to murder a body of water. That made me laugh, but I don't think I was supposed to at that moment. The scene was even more unintentionally hilarious in the movie than it was in the trailer.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 12:42am

So, you would say the last Rambo movie was made to show the reality of war? 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
TaRaN-RoD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote TaRaN-RoD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 5:35pm
I agree! I'm sick too to see how Stallone is under-rated and bashed all the time! Yes... he made some bad movies even craps like a lot of you guys like to call them, but WHICH actor never did that??? Come on, it's ridiculous!

First of all, he was nominated for the Best Actor and Best Original Screenplay Academy Award for Rocky, so just with this the thing with the ''worst actor ever'' doesn't work at all!

Stallone inspired an entire generation, everyone knows the name of Stallone or at least Rocky and Rambo! I think, this is exactly what makes a lot of you jealous! He got a name, he got respect of a lot of people, he is an example and an inspiring person for people like me who always liked his courage and determination!

So please, stop this... there's a lot of awful actors up there who should get some Razzies like Christian Bale, Ben Affleck, Nicholas Cage, Paul Walker, Vin Diesel and cie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>